Author Topic: Fitting guards  (Read 3834 times)

Matt2matt2002

Fitting guards
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
Wheels section OK?

Having trouble fitting new Chromplastic guards to the Raven.
Lets start with the front one first.
My old bike, a Dawes Sardar, had a hole at the rear of the fork. Raven has one at the ront.
When I line up the bolt to pass through the bracket it lifts up the guard until it nudges the brake cable coming across at 90 degrees. This will rub - although the cable is protected by a rubber covering. And, the bolt will not bring the bracket flush onto the frame.

With the old bike, the bolt coming in from the rear made a flush fitting although there was some rubbling of the guard on the brake covering.

Any thoughts folks?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

rualexander

Re: Fitting guards
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:06:27 pm »
Raven is designed for direct fitting of mudguards, you don't use the normal mudguard fitting to the fork crown but instead drill a hole in the mudguard and bolt it directly into the hole at the underside of the steerer with washers and spacers to suit.
Someone will have a photo to make this clearer hopefully.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »
Thanks
but i need more help
Here are some snaps

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »
You need to remove the L bit off the guard, drill out the front rivet so you can use the hole for a bolt, then file the back rivet until it has no head and the L plate can be pulled off.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:36 pm »
Thanks Dave. And there was me thinking it would be a 5 minute job.
 :'(
Will I have have the same issues with the rear guard?

Do the guards hold up well to being drilled? Not gonna split on me?

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:52:22 pm »
You need to remove the L bit off the guard, drill out the front rivet so you can use the hole for a bolt, then file the back rivet until it has no head and the L plate can be pulled off.

Can I drill out both rivets?

bobs

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:16:45 pm »
Hi Matt,

Yes you can, don't worry the mudguards will take any abuse.  The rear will be the same, the best way is to remove all the clips and bolt them straight into the "bridges" with spacers if required.

Bob

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:21:32 pm »
Thanks Bob &co.
I'll give it a short tomorrow night.

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:27:13 pm »
Raven is designed for direct fitting of mudguards, you don't use the normal mudguard fitting to the fork crown but instead drill a hole in the mudguard and bolt it directly into the hole at the underside of the steerer with washers and spacers to suit.
Someone will have a photo to make this clearer hopefully.
+1 to this.

I drilled out the rivets for the L-bracket. The mudguard was direct-fitted to one of the holes under the fork crown. It required a spacer of about 15mm thickness to allow the guard to correctly align with the brake cable. The hole on the front of the fork was used to mount my headlight bracket to.

You may be able to pick it out in this photo

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:05:35 pm »
Thanks il Padrone.
Drilled out the rivets just now.

Tomorrow I will line everything up and tighten down.
A quick look now makes me wonder if the struts will line up correctly with the guard attachments. Sorry, not describing that very well.
On either side of the wheel will be a v shaped support coming out from the wheel center to 2 points on the guards. It appears that the wire struts will not pass through the holes on the brackets on the side of the guard.

Do I need to tweak something?

Cheers

Matt

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »
Maybe this picture will help somehow. I guess I should clean some of that mud off but it won't stay clean for long!

il padrone

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:22 pm »
A quick look now makes me wonder if the struts will line up correctly with the guard attachments. Sorry, not describing that very well.
On either side of the wheel will be a v shaped support coming out from the wheel center to 2 points on the guards. It appears that the wire struts will not pass through the holes on the brackets on the side of the guard.

Do I need to tweak something?

Not quite sure exactly what the problem is here ?? The V-struts are always more than long enough to reach the brackets. Do you feel that they have not got the exact angle to reach each of the mountings? The V can be widened, closed or otherwise bent to suit your requirements. They  are only mild steel wire and will not suffer from a bit of bending.

I've bent them straight often enough after the effects of a stick through the spokes while riding  :-\

Here's an example of someone who's needed to bend them to clear a disc brake caliper

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:23:09 pm by il padrone »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:28 pm »
another detail, just in case it helps.

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:46 pm »
The new mounting brackets have a somewhat different bolt fitting that uses a plastic clip to hold the stay and bracket together. This incorporates the plastic end-cap. Fiddly to set-up (follow the instructions from SKS) but it does work well and lasts a long time, unlike the old end-caps which always got knocked off. Be sure to measure conservatively, and cut your stays to length before fitting this clip.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:42 am »
Yes il pardone. It is the angle I was concerned about.
Having said this, Andy who sold me the bike has kindly included the struts he took off.
Hopefully it will all fit together with the old struts and I will have a pair of new ones spare.

Much appreciate the time folks have taken to help.

Look out for the completed job soon

Matt