Author Topic: Bicycle Portraits, a book/site about bikes and the people who ride them  (Read 1235 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Hi All!

If you enjoy looking at photos of bicycles and the people who ride them, then you owe yourself a visit to... http://bicycleportraits.co.za/Home.html ...to see some of the remarkable portraits and powerful stories on the homepage there.

The home page describes it thusly...
Myself, Stan Engelbrecht, and a good friend and fellow bicycle enthusiast, Nic Grobler recently started a project investigating South African bicycle culture, and the lack of cyclist commuters out there on our roads. We are currently raising funds to turn this project into a self-published full-color hard-cover photographic book ( similar to a previous book I've done, African Salad - www.dayonepublications.com ). We are shooting the entire project from our own bicycles while traveling around the country - we are meeting everyday South Africans out there while they use their bicycles.
This is another of many bicycle-related Kickstarter projects (disclaimer: I have no connection), but the authors observe...
We've noticed that in South Africa, especially in the major centers, very few people use bicycles as mode of transport. This is very strange since we have no proper public transport infrastructure, and that which does exist is expensive and unsafe.
Their ultimate goal is...
create a support structure for the people who appear in the book - this could be a trust funded by a percentage from sales of the cover price, or a charity set up in the name of the people who appear in the book etc. Ultimately we want to promote cycling as a means of independent transport to empower the underprivileged.
Interesting perspective, powerful photos of bicycles and their riders.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

Re: Bicycle Portraits, a book/site about bikes and the people who ride them
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:19:26 am »
What a great set off pictures. Thanks Dan.
I always wonder about the best way to include myself and bike.
Squatting down behind the back wheel appears to be a good shot. But plenty of others there to get me thinking.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink