Author Topic: dynamo test ride later tonight.  (Read 2924 times)

jags

dynamo test ride later tonight.
« on: February 08, 2013, 06:52:35 pm »
going to head out for a night spin to test out the new dynamo and light.
dead curious to see how they preform and if i can notice any drag when it's switched on.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: dynamo test ride later tonight.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:03:30 pm »
'Kay. Be careful Out There, jags...White Van Man sometimes also goes out at night.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »
I will Dan thanks just finishing off a cuppa and i'm off. ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »
May I ask, what is the spec. Of dynamo and light?
Matt
Don't keep me I the dark on this.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:11:08 pm »
just back  from my test run done 14 miles on wet roads which didn't do the light justice.
pretty impressed with the light Andre gave me, if the new BnM U light is much better than this lumotec ovel sensor plus then yes it will be well worth the extra money.
now to be totally honest when i turned on the Cateye  HL- EL540 it just blew the BnM away for brightness.  but the two lights combined just lit up the whole road and if the roads were dry i would be well impressed. as for drag on the wheel didn't notice any to be honest .
so all in all i'm pleased enough with my new dynamo set up.
but me wonders how much better that new Bnm u light would be. ;)

jags.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:05:26 pm »
if the new BnM U light is much better than this lumotec ovel sensor plus then yes it will be well worth the extra money.
Crikey, you won't know yourself with it. The lumotec oval is a good dynamo light.... by old school halogen bulb standards. It is 18 lux. I have the Cyo which is 60 lux and the new Luxos U is 70 lux normally, with a 90 lux floodlight function.

Beam shots from Peter White Cycles

dLumotec Oval

iQ Cyo RT

Luxos U

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:03 pm »
yes i did see those photos before but to be honest i took them with a pinch of salt ,a good camera always make things look great.but saying that i'll take your word for it because the sensor plus if deinitly well made and if its old school i reckon the new light must be mega good ,guess i had better start saving .

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
Peter White is fussy about how he does the beam shots, always using a standard camera set-up, and even position and angles. He now gives details of this together with photos of how he does it on here.

The Luxos U photo is unusual being taken in snow conditions - something he normally does not do, but no doubt has this time as it is just released and SO much better.

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:06:18 am »
yeah he know his stuff right enough, so how would the new U light compair with a good battery light like the cateye Hl-EL540.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 01:59:56 am »
The Lumotec Oval was the mature evolution of the halogen lamp at a time when lamps were moving fast. Though the BUMMbuddies screeched that it was a brilliant lamp, and resented any criticism, in my opinion, at the time and still, it is a good lamp for being seen by but could have been improved with a flashing mode. It is so-so for seeing, unless you doubled up on them, but on wet tarmac you'll see nothing because it just soaks up light, much more light than any bike lamp provides. I have two of the lamps in the Peter White photos Il Padrone posted, and those piccies look like the real thing to me, not advertising department Photoshopped lies.

Any good modern LED lamp will make even the best halogen lamp look a bit dim.

The halogen lamp was given to you as a stopgap to hold you until the price of the best LED lamps should fall a bit, not as a permanent installation except if you hardly ever ride after dusk falls. Prices of BUMM's new lamps always do fall after six to nine months.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:41:17 am by Hobbes »

il padrone

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:12:25 am »
The d'Lumotec is the LED version of the Lumotec (halogen). It has a blue rim around the lens/reflector unit. I have one on my Shogun commuter. When I first used it the light output was very impressive compared to the old halogen B&M light I'd been using, which was much better than the old headlight from the late 80s and the Cateye battery light I'd been using during the 90s.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:14:34 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:46:35 am »
Prices of BUMM's new lamps always do fall after six to nine months.
Which is exactly why I am going to wait a bit before "upgrading" from my Cyo R with Tout Terrain The Plug 2 and ExtraPower. By that time, user reports will have begun to accumulate too.

I'm really eager to see at what speed charging becomes effectively available and at what current. Since the "U" includes a USB charger, this will prove as important as the light itself for those needing to charge gadgets.

The new Luxos "U" may very well prove to be just fine, but I am a bit concerned about long-term memory effect with the built-in rechargeable battery. I don't see a replacement offered, and it appears it may be sealed in the light.

Meantime, I have my Cyo R with undesirable hotspot, but it is a bright light overall that will allow me to see and be seen in the meantime, buying a bit more time till we see how the "U" pans out...and perhaps long enough to catch the Next Big Thing introduced after the "U".

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks future lights will be even brighter and they're coming pretty soon from a variety of manufacturers)

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:19 am »
The d'Lumotec is the LED version of the Lumotec (halogen). It has a blue rim around the lens/reflector unit.

Thanks! I've made the correction. -- AJ