Author Topic: Jags has his dynohub wheel and headlight, on and working (!)  (Read 7454 times)

jags

Re: Jags has his dynohub wheel and headlight, on and working (!)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »
ok totally confused  about this toplight  ::)
on the back ot it theres 2 pins obviously there for  connection but also theres a switch  for plus and minus which wont move  to the left theres a red  push slide what is that for. :-[

would i be better of getting those connections saldered.
is there a video explaining how to connect this light up.
cheers
jags

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 04:47:34 pm »
Hi Jags!

Congratulations on the new taillight!

By the way, I answered your question on this by email last week:
> i ordered the top light today from bike discount also cable and schwalble supream tyre.  does that tail light connect to the headlight.

Yep. Plugs right in. You might need new connectors on the light, but I doubt it.

If you got the Toplight Line Plus model like mine, it has an option to use slide-on spade connectors /or/ you can strip off about 1/4" of wire, plug it into each of the two holes on the back of the taillight, and then throw the little black lever shut, trapping the wire in place. Done. At the other end, the taillight wire just plugs into the headlight itself. Watch the polarity. Get it backwards and the taillight won't light. No damage...it just won't work. Get it right, and all is "go". The little red button at the bottom of the taillight allows you to turn the light off when stopped if you don't want it (say you don't want to draw attention to the bike when it is parked in a rack). Otherwise, it will stay lit for about 4.5 minutes after stopping, thanks to the "standlight", a small capacitor that stores electricity when you're riding so the taillight will stay lit when you're stopped in traffic (for safety).
Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:59:10 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 05:13:25 pm »
cheers dan you did and all. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:46 pm »
Posted on jags' behalf; photo showing his new lights on and installed on his very nice Sherpa.

Looking good, jags!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:11 am »
Thanks Dan  really will have to get a better camera thats from a phone.
yeah anyway i ran the cable under the top tube tied down with zipties which i painted the same colour as the frame  looks neat enough,i had a bit of fiddling around with the front connection as thers 4 connectors on the front light i got free from andre  ;)
so i connected the plus cable to top right connector and minus cable to bottom left  seems to work spot on.haven't fixed the rear light to rack just yet i'm getting a bracket made that will take the 2 lights  dynamo + cateye led, to be sure to be sure  ;D.
i will be highly impressed if this new BnM toplight is better that the cateye  ;)

anyway lads thanks everyone especally Andre for the front light and all the tech stuff from Dan all help greatly appreciated. ;)
cheers
jags.

ianshearin

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:53 am »
Jags, I cant figure out your handlebars, it looks like the brake hoods are quite a way forward of the  actual bar?
Looks like something I would like.....
Can you explain the bar set up pretty please.....
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:19 am »
Ian the shimano sti leaver are quiet big compaired to say campag.
i have them set up ,if you look at the photo the bottom of the drops are running fairly straight in line with top tube , i dont like the end of the drops looking at the ground.i ride the hoods most of the time.
i just sit on the saddle and get my prefaired position on the hoods i would rather have them a bit high for comfort to low down will kill my back.
probably not explaining this very well but if your having problems with reach do the eldow trick ;)

ianshearin

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 04:41:42 pm »
What is the elbow trick :o
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »
i will be highly impressed if this new BnM toplight is better that the cateye
Jags, I think you'll be pleased with the brightness and visibility of the Toplight Line Plus. It is "different" from the CatEye in producing a band of horizontal light that is highly visible, rather than points of light. This makes it easier for a closing driver to judge distance from you, according to B&M. Maybe, hopefully. By the way, some of the LED light leaks into the part with the reflector, so it also glows a bit and is not totally dark from inside.

My worry was whether it would be bright enough to also be daylight-visible, so I had someone take a photo from behind me on a cloudy day. I've attached the result again here (cribbed from my Sherpa gallery).

You should show up fine. I paired mine with my PlanetBike Radbot 1000, so stacking your CatEye LED with the Toplight Line Plus should give a similar result.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 05:49:14 pm »
What is the elbow trick :o
Ian the way i measure my reach i place my elbow at the tip of the saddle  fingers extender on the  stem  and my other hand placed in front of my fingers  so your pinky should be flush with end of  stem.

jags

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:25 am »
Well my test pilot finally turned up tonigh  so i put him to work straight away.we drove out to the dark country roads  i let him out of the back of the van  8) and off he went i follow in the van and have to say that top light is top notch its as good  as a car light really ten out of ten and the cateye worked a treat as well .yes mightly impressed with my bike lights at least now i know i can be seen by motorists from a hell of a distance away.
cheers Andre for the advice on this light or should i be thanking your better half.

cheers
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 01:19:34 am »
Yay, jags!

So glad the lights worked out well in following. Now you've seen the B&M and the CatEye as a closing driver would, so that's reassuring. That B&M Toplight Line Plus taillight really is visible, and I can't believe how much more noticeable the band of light is compared to the single spot-LED in their older models -- especially in wet weather.

Maybe the new lights will result in more night-riding for you. That would be really nice with the longer days of summer in the offing. No need to turn back in time to make it home before dark. Go, play, and ride home no matter the dark.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 05:25:23 am »
That Toplight Line is the best lamp BUMM ever made. It would be a bargain at double the money. -- Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:01 pm »
btw i meant to add although the rear lights can be seen from quiet a distance you would also want to ware some kind of high viz clothing when out for a night spin on dark roads.
most obvious places would be helmet /shoes .back  and back of right hand sleeve .
when i was following my son in the van he didn't have any reflective clothing on so all that was seen was the lights it was impossible to see him ,
so be warned although the  toplight is fantastic  you need your body to be seen as well. ;)