Author Topic: Raven Tour vs Sport Tour weight?  (Read 3816 times)

jgrgilbert

Raven Tour vs Sport Tour weight?
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:53:32 PM »
How much does the Raven Sport Tour weigh in its default configuration? (The Cycling+ review of the Raven Tour says that it weighs 13kg.)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Sport Tour for my 12 mile (each way) commute to work, but two things I have in favour of the Tour:

Longer chain stays - I don't want my heels clipping the panniers. (I want panniers, rather than a rack-top box, so that I can pick up a decent quantity of shopping on the way home.)

Greater off-road strength - although the roughest stuff I would take it on would be surfaces like ballast on disused railway tracks, and that unladen.

Cheers,  James

strat

Re: Raven Tour vs Sport Tour weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:17:51 PM »
I have the new Sports Tour. Somewhere in the Thorn literature, I think it   says that it weighs 26 lbs. I guess it depends on what wheels etc you spec. It therefore does not seem much lighter that the Adventure tour. It is probably a better ride. I find it lively without being skittish. A very comfortable ride. I find it soaks up most of the road noise effectively. I have not used panniers so cannot answer this point. I take it down bridelways and some quite rough paths with no problem. I think that it is quite a tough bike even with the thin tubes. I have not detected any flex even standing out of the saddle. I specced CR18 rims which have stayed true. In fact after 3 months, nothing is loose, there are no squeeks or rattles. I am very happy with my bike. Hope that this helps.

jgrgilbert

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 06:53:17 PM »
Yes, thanks. 26lbs is 11.8kg.

Do you have the new design frame?

strat

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 07:29:10 PM »
Yes.

taffyscouser

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 08:45:18 PM »
Just bought a Sport Tour and getting some miles in before a journey from Cotswolds to Anglesey and then Dublin, east coast to Rosslare, back to penmbroke and then Cotswolds in october. Yes some of the gears are noisy but so far the bike seems a real gem.