Author Topic: would you change anything on ?  (Read 3138 times)

jags

would you change anything on ?
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:10:21 pm »
So lads are you all 100% happy with your Thorn bike would you make any changes  now that you have it a while.
myself i love the auld sherpa great  comfy  relyable bike altogether.
but yes i would love to change the   front fork  i would rather use a nice carbon lighter fork and maybe a Chris king headset, reason i want a much lighter feel up front .other that that I'm as happy as a pig in s..t  muck.
jags.....

Andybg

Re: would you change anything on ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:12:25 pm »
If all goes to plan I should be recieving my new (only about 8 years old) Thorn eXp in the next couple of weeks and then my Nomad will be heading back to the UK for a rebuild. Plan on running the eXp as the touring/utlility bike and the Nomad as the audax style bike so am currently thinking of the change in parts. I think some lighter wheels along with a replacement of most of its moving parts. Am going to move over from canti to v brakes but apart from that all will be the same.

You never know I may even get round to handlebar tape - lol

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:20:51 pm »
Jags!

Happy with my Nomad setup at this point, but that is because I am still finalizing it!

The change to compact drop handlebars and a shorter stem and relocating the brake levers forward put me spot-on for positioning with the 590M frame with drops; checked and done!

The change to 36x17T gearing on the Rohloff drivetrain gave me just the gears I needed where I needed them, matching my preferred derailleur setups and hummingbird-fast cruising cadence. Sorted!

I figured from the start these would be little changes to move the bike from "alright" to All Right. It was the same for my other bikes in years past, and I have learned to not rush the process. Sure, some things make themselves known from the beginning and can be addressed immediately, but for others, "close enough" can be fine to determine if the baseline is correct. Continued riding allows me to plan my course of action in advance and get things spot-on as I'd like. At about the six-month mark, everything begins to coalesce and feel "right"; Familiar in my terms.

I view it all as part of the getting-acquainted process, and such fine-tuning adds to the fun of New Ownership for me. I always try to budget a little financial cushion to allow for changes in bars/stem and basic gearing. It was not till my third cassette on Sherpa that things felt "right" to me, and on the Nomad, all it took was a single chainring change at USD$24 to make right. I'll make up much of that when I sell-on the removed 'ring. The 'bars and stem were about USD$60 total; not bad for a "perfect" fit and still less than USD$100 overall to make the bike fit like a custom-tailored suit with the pockets just where I want them. And yes, even full-on bespoke customs often need little adjustments to stem length and seatpost setback and such once they're ridden.  It's normal!

Handlebars are padded but not yet taped. Headlight/taillight and charging system hookup (transferred over from Sherpa) yet to be done. The unexpected kitchen remodel has taken precedence along with some other major DIY stuff. I want a working stove again and am tired of microwaved food. Current stoves are now made wider, so all the countertops, shelving, and cupboards had to be carved wider down to the floor, then rebuilt and re-stained; 3- to 4-wire house electrics conversion at the stove is next. Once that is complete, I can get back to Important Things like finishing the Nomad.

The only "change" still on the Nomad docket is a Hebie Chainglider. I've been in comms with Hebie and they have been very helpful in steering me to the rare and elusive "Extra-Long" model, and have given some operating tips I will share in a separate post.

Finish the above, and I'll be a Happy Camper for the next 20-odd years. My other bikes have remained static that long once I got them finalized to my tastes. The real beauty of a Rohloff Thorn is there's not as much to "upgrade" as on a derailleur bike. I'm future-proofed against ShimaCampaSRAM's tooth-count arms race -- 11, 12-speed cassettes and dedicated shifters and chains for same...what's that? It has created an interesting range of drivetrain technology amongst my bikes. A couple 120mm OLD frames and one at 126 running 5- and narrow-6-speed freewheels on Phil Wood hubs, and only one indexed bike, the tandem (SunTour, yeah!) -- and the Rohloff Nomad. The indexed 7-sp Miyata is being readied for eBay, and the 7-sp indexed cassette-hubbed Folder awaits my brazing a few cable guides, a front mech mount, final brazing of the steering mast, and wet paint. The recumbent is also 7-sp indexed, but awaits my finalizing the boom design and primary drive before it will be on the road. By the way, I keep the old freewheels running by reprofiling the worn cog teeth with a pattern and high-speed die-grinder when they start to hook.

Busy times in Danneauxville.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:51:04 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:45 pm »
Dan: Better check Revelo's photo of the Chainglider 38T front with a 36T chainring; that's an extremely sloppy fit. I don't think you will be happy with teeth fully exposed. It defeats the purpose of the Chainglider, cleanliness.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:58:34 am by Hobbes »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:31:59 am »
Thanks, Andre, very much appreciate the heads-up; Hebie advised me specifically to use the Extra-Long 38T front unit after I sent them the  chainstay measurements for my 590M Nomad, same length as Frank's. I think this would allow more even placement over the 'ring, better coverage, and reduced friction overall.

In response to my questions, they advised as follows:

Q. When was the version 3.0 Chainglider produced? it has the updated fastening clips in lieu of the separate center clamp at the front of the chainring?
A. The chainglider 3.0 is produced the first time in 2010.

Q. I want to use a Chainglider with my 37T Surly stainless chainring. Will the 38T chainglider front half work? It is the smallest Hebie offer. I will be using a 17T rear cog.
A. For gear-rings with 36T and 37T you can use the Chainglider front part for 38Teeth. This rear part is usable with sprockets 15T, 16T and 17T. [of course, the Rohloff-specific rear cover is required if you're using a Rohloff -- Dan.]

Q. Given my chainstay measurements (470mm at midpoint in the EBB's travel, 476.5mm at full-forward position), do I need the Standard or Extra-Long front case?
A. In this case you need the Extra Long version . The advantage is that you can always shorten this chainglider.

Q. I see Hebie's website advised "greasing" the chain for best results in the Chainglider. Is this another term for "oil" or is grease also suggested, perhaps to reduce friction between chain and Chainglider?
A. We see the best results when users make a mix of oil and grease and use this for the maintenance of their chain.

Hebie offer a very useful sizing chart here: http://www.hebie.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/2012/CG_flyer_10x10_2012_en.pdf The extra-long front units are designated with an "L" and are listed on the chart as covering up to an additional 7cm over the Standard unit. It appears to me that if a Standard front unit can be made to fit a 590M Nomad, it will produce excess friction and the case halves may not engage properly once the EBB is rotated fully forward.

All the best,

Dan. (...who wants to figure out all the details before placing an order)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:05 am »
If you're asking me, Dan, no, I wouldn't place the order. As I've explained in the Rohloff cogs thread, Hebie's advice to you and Frank's photograph between them constitute an admission that the 38T Chainglider on a 36T chainring is at best an aesthetically displeasing bodge and at worst a subversion of the three Chainglider advantages of cleanliness, low maintenance and lowered wear on transmission parts, possibly only a partial abrogation in the last case but total in the first two. It's not what you're paying substantial money for!

It seems to me that you're out of consideration for a Chainglider until either Hebie makes a 36T version or you stop being so limp and get a 38T chainring like the men.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:50:34 pm »
Well.... Well! Well.

Andre, my friend...clearly, this will call for a re-thinking of my "want/need" priorities. I'll admit to being manly as all get-out, but my knees won't, so in a choice between gearing and Chainglider, the extant gearing wins the argument neatly.

Hmm.

This bit of cognitive re-ordering will take a bit to wholly absorb, and I do thank you for your very considered opinion based on your own practical experience. The Chainglider represents a substantial bicycling investment for me, so I need to be more than pretty sure it will work for my needs.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:05:59 pm »
HAH GOOD ON YA ANDRE SOMEONE NEEDED TO TELL  OUR MAN DAN TO STOP SPENDING MONEY ON HIS BEAUTIFUL  PERFECT NOMAD I JUST WASN'T BRAVE ENOUGH.

DAN YOU DONT NEED A CHAIN TINGY HONESTLY.
 ;D ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
SOMEONE NEEDED TO TELL  OUR MAN DAN TO STOP SPENDING MONEY ON HIS BEAUTIFUL  PERFECT NOMAD I JUST WASN'T BRAVE ENOUGH.
Feeling all-better now...  :D

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:41 pm »
 ;) you know it make sense dan go a ride that bike .
i know i'm a fair one to talk but we can go crazy about buying extras that we don't really need , like is my new dynamo wheel going to make me go faster ::)
will changing my front forks make go any faster ::)
and what about new brooks bartape  slick tires lighter tubes,
and god knows what else down the line  ;D
no once i get all of the above that's me fineto never again will i buy anything for this bike. :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »
...go a ride that bike .
Well, I *am* riding it...I just haven't had time to *finish* it, what with the Kitchen Project having arisen.  ::) Tape up the padded 'bars, swap over the lights and charger from the late Sherpa, and I'm done for the next 20 years...except that I very much wanted to add that Chainglider. If it can be made to work successfully...I still do!

I am, perhaps, too stubborn and committed to Process for my own good. I've now received some very good warnings it may not work, but I need to fully investigate to my satisfaction if it truly will or won't for my specific application before I dismiss it entirely. I was at this point with the AXA Defender lock and the pump mounts, and both came out well, but I had to re-engineer the mounts on both to do it.

So, a bit more work to do, investigating to conclusion...which might or might not end in a purchase.

All the best,

Dan. (...who has been likened to a terrier with a rat when it comes to persistence in following Scientific Method to conclusion)

ianshearin

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:42 pm »
Dan,
You are nothing like a terrier with a rat, eventually the terrier lets go......
 :D

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'