Author Topic: still no wheel  (Read 3021 times)

jags

still no wheel
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:02:55 pm »
just checked out that site about the shimano  dynamo wheel  the bleep bleeps are now saying not available until march  >:( now i'm going to have to look for a simular wheel  around that price .

anyone got any  clues as to where i might look looking to spend around 130 euro max .
cheers lads .

jags. >:(

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: still no wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:04:23 pm »
Oh! The agony! I feel for you, jags. Worse to have hopes repeatedly dashed than to receive the "No longer available" message from the start.

I'll keep my eyes open for one for you.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:22:47 pm »
thanks Dan i feel like they let me down on this one should have said from the start it wont be available until march.anyway if you spot a good wheel let me know  i could see  the wife smiling when i told her. ;)

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »
If you don't mind secondhand...Fleabay/Gumtree/bike forums...

Got a second hand AlexRim Shimano dyno hub wheel on e-bay for £26  ;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:56:46 pm »
I'm a magpie like shiny things besides its a christmas pressie from the wife and she ain't getting off the hook that easy  ;D ;D

bobs

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:17:22 pm »
Hi Jags,

don't who you were trying, but have you seen these ?

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s170p0

Bob

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:44 pm »
thanks bob what do you think of this one i know nothing about dynamos . :-[
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s170p1771

only problem its 143 in euro the wife will kill me,
the one on the german site was only 99euro and a pretty good wheel. :-\

ok looking now at the N30 how good or bad is this dynamo its a lot more in my price range but am im going to have to pedal like a lunitic to power up my lights and if at a later date will or can i fit a charger to it. ::)
sorry for all the questions lads but this is a one off buy want to get it right or near enough  ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:19:36 am by jags »

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:48 pm »
so should i go for the cheaper option ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s170p1771

only problem its 143 in euro the wife will kill me,
the one on the german site was only 99euro and a pretty good wheel. :-\

ok looking now at the N30 how good or bad is this dynamo its a lot more in my price range but am im going to have to pedal like a lunitic to power up my lights and if at a later date will or can i fit a charger to it. ::)

The first one, the N72 is a really good one with the better bearings, Ultegra level; all the later top Shimano dynamos are based on it. The thing is, I've never heard of anyone rebuilding a Shimano dynamo. The replacement parts are as much as a whole new one at the discounters, and after 40K or 50K, it is probably long since time to replace the rim anyway, so the wheel rebuild isn't an extra, it's a necessity.

The N30 is a cheaper commuter's dynamo. But I have it's equivalents, from back when it was all there was, and it's a pretty good dynamo. Think about it. A commuter by the nature of things needs a reliable dynamo for a good stiff, regular mileage. I don't see where you get this idea that you will have to pedal harder, or can't get as much charge from the N30, compared to the N72. The only difference is the replaceable bearings in the N72.

There's like a gazillion N30 in Dutch and German bikes, and by comparison only a few N72 and a minuscule number of SON. I bet you'll be able to get parts and whole replacements for the N30 long after the N72 is forgotten and the SON is a Chinese brand-mongering exercise.

The big difference isn't in engineering but in desire. All the pretend-engineers cream themselves over the better bearings.  They'd do better to consider whether they will actually rebuild the N72, given the comparative price of a rebuild kit and a new dynamo, and the availability in the retail channel of the rebuild kit (somewhere between marginal and zilch -- guy at Petra Cycles, best source for Shimano hub dynamo and hub gear spares, offered to try to get me a rebuild kit but he sounded doubtful, and I told him not to bother, I'd rather store up his goodwill for something more important). They should also consider the cost of special tools required for the rebuild. Download the tech sheets from Shimano Europe to see which special tools are required.

Andre Jute

JWestland

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »
SP (shutter precision) hub dynamos got a very good price/quality and efficient review grade in the CTC magazine from last year Q4.

The reviewer noted that Shimano commuter ones have most drag (though still minimal) for the output, however they're used by Center Parks on their fleet which stands outside in pissing rain and snow and keep generation year after year. New £35 and used wheels with them for £20 on e-bay.

As Andre points out repairing is often not economical anyway due to cost of the kits. Ultegra is a tad lighter however compared to the 3N30 I got.

If you want to be hardcore practical, just go for Shimano. If you want to try something new and fancier go for SP.

SON is lovely but...it's a bit posh really SP does the same thing for less money.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:54 pm »
with a bit of luck I'll have a nice wheel come monday from one of the forum members will let you guys know if i get it .
appreciate all the advice the dynamo route is all new to me, but yeah i do want to get the best i can afford the problem i have been out of work when i do get a few bob theres a big big hole waiting to swallow it all up ::) so i've got to spend quick before the mad dog at the door gets it. ;D