Author Topic: Bent OEM axle plate  (Read 1773 times)

Big_Jim

Bent OEM axle plate
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:35:53 am »
Has anyone had problems with this?
The little rivetted "noggin" that sticks out and engages in thelower part of the dropout to stop rotation has broken off. When I got a replacement (thank you SJS - very quick postal service) I saw the whole of the lower portion of the flat metal plate was twisted slightly. This indicates to me that a rotational force has been applied to the "noggin" over a period of time.

I've always been nervous of overtightening the quick release as per instructions. Am I worrying unneccessarily about causing damage or do I risk greater damage by over-tightening the QR?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Bent OEM axle plate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:38 pm »
Hi, this was picked up as an issue and Rohloff responded by making the part from one bit of metal rather than rivetting http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-aftermarket-to-oem-axle-plate-converter-mkii-for-qr-hub-8234-prod10454/

It usualy only occurs on bikes running under a 2.5 imput ratio, or where the axle plate has been hit when the wheel has been removed, or if the bike is ridden with the skewer loose.

Dave

Big_Jim

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »
Grrr... Wish I'd known that before I ordered the replacement. Oh well.

The bike is not under the permitted ratio (I'm running 42x16) but I'm a big lad and its on a mountain bike that does have quite a hard life on the hills of the Peak District. I figure it'll eventually break again and I'll order the right one next time.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:11:40 pm »
Jim, is it on a Thorn bike, or a hub we sold you?

Big_Jim

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 07:09:21 pm »
Dave
No it got the hub from a well known online auction site. But, I did buy all the shifter bits and brake disc etc from you guys  ;)

The bike is a Dave Yates full custom built MTB, because you guys weren't too happy about my size and weight on your bikes (six feet five and eighteen stone). Dave built me a made to measure frame from tandem guage 853 with a full compliment of Rohloff fittings. There are photo's of it in the snow on Dave's website if you want to see it.

I can't tell you how nice it is to ride a bike that fits after nearly twenty years on a variety of slightly too small frames with 400mmor 450mm seatposts. And the Rohloff works so well in the mud and grit of the Peak District.

Jim