Author Topic: Brrr...cold fingers! Even with Gore Windstopper / Gore Tex  (Read 6967 times)

JWestland

Brrr...cold fingers! Even with Gore Windstopper / Gore Tex
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »
Hi -

Even with Gore Windstopper / Gore Tex gloves from Gore Bike Wear I tend to get cold fingers the first 15 or so minutes on bike rides when there's a strong cold wind or if it's damp/near 0 degrees.

I have an awful tendency to cold toes/fingers. Once I have pedalled a bit and my body has warmed up the heat goes back into my fingers, but the first thing it does it withdraw warm blood whenever it's cold.

Grrr. Should I just get a pair of undergloves or are there any special tricks of the trade?
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

Re: Brrr...cold fingers! Even with Gore Windstopper / Gore Tex
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:46:46 pm »
just ware 2 pair sealskinz have good liner gloves (chainreaction).
i dont think theres any tricks .

rualexander

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:55 pm »
Jawine,

When I was commuting regularly by bike, I would sometimes pre-warm my hands and fingers under hot water before drying them and donning my gloves. It really did wonders for stimulating the circulation before the cold hit, and my fingers never seemed to get as cold as without the pre-warming.

Keeping my fingers warm was always a priority after riding with fingerless gloves in an ice storm at 5°F/-15C and getting frostbite for my efforts. Since then, I've found my "lobster claw"-style Gore-Tex overmitts help by breaking the wind, though on cold days, I'll wear my Malden Mills polypropylene gloves underneath. They help, but mostly by preventing direct, conductive contact between my fingers and the cold-chilled Gore-Tex shell.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks it no coincidence that "digits" describes both temperatures and fingers)

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:13 pm »
How cold? And for how long? Do they go ice-white?

A couple of friends of mine suffer from Reynaud's Disease and have to take special care on cold days It doesn't sound like you are quite this bad.

Very good gloves (that I don't use nor generally need):

Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves

Sugoi Mitts - always warmer than gloves

Pogies - can be used with regular gloves inside

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:44:35 am »
One thing I do love about the Rohloff twist shifter is that it is easy to operate while wearing mittens. I have some nice fleece mittens over which I wear nylon mitten shells. That's for when it gets really cold, like 10F or below.

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:40 am »
Hi -

Thanks for the replies  :)

Temperature is around 0 degrees, I think the damp air here doesn't help.

Fingers "merely" feel very cold and very stiff. So no frostbite, or Reynauds, just uncomfortable and unless I pedal hard they don't really warm up.

It seems undergloves may work, as RE Dan's post the outer glove still cools down when it stops the wind.

*off to chainreaction* :)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:56:37 am »
Hi chaps
2 points
I have Dupuytren's contracture of the little finger of my right hand.
The bent pinkie means it is difficult for me to wear gloves.
Those lobsters look good.
Any further comments on their effectiveness or otherwise?

I have given away my Sealskin gloves partly due to the dupuytren contracture making it difficult to wear but also, my hands became soaked with sweat after an hour or so of riding.
It was almost impossible to put the gloves back on in this condition.

The fit was quite tight but I wonder if this happens with other Sealskins?

Is it adviable to wear a thin pair of gloves under the Lobsters

Matthew

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »
Hi Matt!

Dupuytren's diverted a family friend-doctor's career as a surgeon (he's happier in emergency medicine), so I am familiar with it.

My lobster-claw gloves came from Seattle outfitter Early Winters some 35 years ago, and were fitted with knit cuffs, intended to keep runners' hands warm. I removed the cuff and fit gauntlet extensions of knit Gore-tex to match the rest of the "body" -- they've worked well ever since and are now my cold-weather as well as wet-weather gloves. They're fantastic for cold-wet conditions that really chill the fingers. After my frostbite, I really need to wear them whenever I rise in temps below freezing.

As per my comment to Jawine above, while they do a wonderful job breaking the direct wind, your fingers can still chill from direct contact with the cool fabric pushed against them. I wear a conventional fingered under-glove, though a lobster-claw style inner would be more ideal, especially for your needs (I have seen them, but can't pull up a source at the moment). The real beauty of the lobster-claw gloves is they combine the best of both worlds. The last three fingers are packaged together for warmth, while the thumb and first finger are free for fine-motor tasks...like shifting.

I really to think lobster-claws are the ideal item for your needs...plenty of room in that last compartment, and I have on many occasions made a fist in them to exercise and stretch my hands after too long on the handlebars. Plenty of room for that in mine, though I suppose not all are made the same.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »
Ooh! Jags!

You do realize these have immediately moved well up the Need.Want. list to the Neeeeeed.Waaaaaant. position....

Or it could just get warmer outside.  :D

All the best,

Dan. (...who is put in mind of the old phrase, "Today's luxury is tomorrow's necessity")

swc7916

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:06:11 pm »
My lobster-claw gloves came from Seattle outfitter Early Winters some 35 years ago...

Early Winters?  Now THAT'S a blast from the past.  I have a pair of their boots (actually Danner w/Early Winters logo) that I still wear.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:51 am »
{How to carry a microwave on tour??}
Easy!:Really, really long extension cord. Oh, how often I've wished for one while on-tour. Hmm. A portable nuclear pile would do it, but the weight of the shielding would kill me.

This comes close, but would need a *bunch* of SON28s to power it... http://gizmodo.com/5037884/mobile-microwave-brings-food-nuking-into-your-automobile

Best,

Dan. (...giving a um, "micro" wave in parting)

JWestland

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:29 am »
Wee electric 3A/6V heater on the bike?  ;D