Author Topic: Flat bars or dropped on a Raven  (Read 9676 times)

Steve Lord

Flat bars or dropped on a Raven
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:49:01 am »
I hardly think this is a new topic on this forum, but the question never goes away!

I hope to visiting SJS early in the New Year to order a Raven. I ought to get clear in my mind whether I want flat or dropped bars, but it's not been easy.

For years, I was thinking I would return to touring on flat bars for my next, and first decent bike. Perhaps its nostalgia for the early mountain biking days, but I liked the look, the controls being right at hand, and the robustness. Thorn seemed to be pushing drops for their bikes. Now the Raven's come out and Thorn are happier with the flat bar setup, so it seems, while I've come to realize that my wrists are way happier on my touring bike than my mountain bike.

Yet if I choose drops, am I giving up the dream of long tours in rough places like Tibet or Central Asia? On the grounds that my hands are basically happier on drops, probably not. But I feel I will be missing a lot of the advantages of the Rohloff- being able to change gear all the time, which I do a lot on my current STI-geared drops bike.

I realize this issue goes on and on, but any comforting or thought-provoking words from Raven riders that would help the decision would be appreciated. I have tried the Mk1 Comfort bar on my MTB. Perhaps the MTB cockpit is too stretched out, but the Comfort bar doesn't seem to do much for me.
thanks,
cheers,
Steve Lord

wtjs

Re: Flat bars or dropped on a Raven
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 06:43:50 pm »
I have just bought a Mercury, which is essentially a custom Raven Sport Tour. I don't know if it's really worth paying the extra for the Mercury, but I feel better about it and that's the main thing. I decided to go for the straight bar and let the Thorn experience full scope to provide me with a fast bike. I did consider the drop bars and Accessory bar or HUBBUB, but thought I could manage with a stem angled down so that I could get the bars down to my usual position of considerably below the level of the saddle.I have added L-bend bar ends fitted inside the brake levers for a more dropped position which is fairly aerodynamic. I'm fairly happy with this, but it may be that I will need a more angled stem so that the straight bars are even lower down. I think that the Thorn people have sufficient experience that they can fit you up with either a Tour or a Sport.

Of course, only you can answer whether you can manage with straight bars, but I have several bikes including mountain, road with STI, racing and I'm very pleased with this Mercury. I have only done 200 miles so far, but I intend it to be my fast commuter right through the winter, 26 miles every day.

My advice is: stay with the Thorn stem, chainset and seat-pillar as they are quite aesthetically pleasing. I think I was right to go for the straight carbon bar, and the ceramic rims (although I don't know if they will last as long as claimed) which do provide single finger instant skids even on dry roads. I don't know if my XTR calipers are necessary, but they are very pleasing.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lord

I hardly think this is a new topic on this forum, but the question never goes away!

I hope to visiting SJS early in the New Year to order a Raven. I ought to get clear in my mind whether I want flat or dropped bars, but it's not been easy.

For years, I was thinking I would return to touring on flat bars for my next, and first decent bike. Perhaps its nostalgia for the early mountain biking days, but I liked the look, the controls being right at hand, and the robustness. Thorn seemed to be pushing drops for their bikes. Now the Raven's come out and Thorn are happier with the flat bar setup, so it seems, while I've come to realize that my wrists are way happier on my touring bike than my mountain bike.

Yet if I choose drops, am I giving up the dream of long tours in rough places like Tibet or Central Asia? On the grounds that my hands are basically happier on drops, probably not. But I feel I will be missing a lot of the advantages of the Rohloff- being able to change gear all the time, which I do a lot on my current STI-geared drops bike.

I realize this issue goes on and on, but any comforting or thought-provoking words from Raven riders that would help the decision would be appreciated. I have tried the Mk1 Comfort bar on my MTB. Perhaps the MTB cockpit is too stretched out, but the Comfort bar doesn't seem to do much for me.
thanks,
cheers,
Steve Lord

graham

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:44:46 pm »
quote:
I don't know if my XTR calipers are necessary, but they are very pleasing.

Yes, like little bits of sculpture. And for the pleasure they give when you notice them again they are worth it and ultimately necessary.
I have XTR calipers on both the tandem and my Raven tour. I'd say it's also worth the extra (tenner when I did it, can't remember if that's each or for both, either way it doesn't now matter to me) for XTR levers over XT. I have XTR on the tandem and XT on the solo, and I must admit there is an indefinable something which I'm sure is more than just the label about the XTR levers which is more satisfying. Don't misunderstand, there's nothing wrong with the XT levers, they are a good quality product, but the XTR levers are nicer.

Sorry this post is not really about handlebars. I never got on with drops and having the bars too low gives me neck ache after 60 miles, so I'm more than happy with Thorn comfort bars and bar ends set at about saddle height.

PH

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:41:57 pm »
It’s a tough choice.
I prefer drop bars on my other bikes but  have narrow straight bars on my Raven.  

The wide comfort bars were never an option, due to storage space.
  The only time I miss drops is in a strong head wind, and I wonder how much difference it actually makes, it seems so much slower but the computer tells a different story.
Riding a Rohloff bike is different to a derailleur bike, it’s not just another way to do the same thing.  It takes a bit of getting used to and I don’t think you’d get the full benefit unless the changer was always to hand.  If they came up with a Rohloff brake/gear control for drops I’d be first in the queue, but it doesn’t look likely.

PH

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 08:44:43 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by wtjs
I have just bought a Mercury, which is essentially a custom Raven Sport Tour.

You lucky man,any photos?
I've been commuting on my Raven for 9 months, the lack of maintenance is a joy[:D]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 08:45:15 pm by PH »

wtjs

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 12:41:41 pm »
Yes, if anyone wants to see them, I'll take some photos. I've now done about 600 miles- commuting and working my way through the routes in 'Bowland Cycle Rides' a Lancashire tourist booklet. These are pretty hilly routes on fairly rough metalled roads, so I've given the bike a good test.
1   I think it performs like an audax bike- not as fast as a 'racing' 700c, but faster than a fast touring bike. Better than I expected for a flat bar bike.

2  Stealth it isn't! Even the sheep notice the noise in 7th gear.I've only cycled on my own so far, so I can't give a simultaneous comparison with a derailleur, but it's noisier alright.  However, I now feel that the treacly feeling in 7th has gone even though the noise hasn't.

3  Much of the stress of gear changing is gone. You just change down as far as you need, without feeling 'I ought to be able to get up this on the middle chainring'.

4   Ceramic rims and V-brakes are excellent- going back to the STI levers and cantilevers makes me feel there's something wrong with them.

5   On rough roads, the carbon bars are just the job. I think it would be quite jarring to ride fast over these roads with 26x1.5s at 75psi and metal bars.

6   Rohloff say that oil can leak from the hub when it's on it's side. I left it overnight sideways in the Astra and not a drop leaked.

7   Anyone who, like me, doesn't like badges and stickers should ask SJS not to apply the Rohloff sticker on the hub- it's a great pain to get off!

quote:
Originally posted by PH

quote:
I have just bought a Mercury, which is essentially a custom Raven Sport Tour.

You lucky man,any photos?
I've been commuting on my Raven for 9 months, the lack of maintenance is a joy[:D]

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 11:11:00 am by wtjs »

Steve Lord

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 04:55:00 pm »
HI, I'm the OP, I'd certainly like to see your bike's setup - hope it gives me more creative ideas than just the "comfort" bar...
thanks.

wtjs

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »
Can't get pictures to insert-if you wish to send email addresses to me I can send photos in usual way

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lord

HI, I'm the OP, I'd certainly like to see your bike's setup - hope it gives me more creative ideas than just the "comfort" bar...
thanks.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:20:07 am by wtjs »

PH

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 07:25:14 pm »
quote:

Can't get pictures to insert-if you wish to send email addresses to me I can send photos in usual way

WTJS's photos now posted in the Gallery

And very sporty it looks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 07:26:28 pm by PH »

hoogie

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:57:41 pm »
Hi Steve,

bar choice raises as much discussion as the panniers vs trailer debate on other lists ...

i can really only comment on what works for me, and can really only suggest a 'suck it and see' course, and hopefully you will strike it lucky first time ...

i have gone for flat bars on all my tourers as I find this more comfortable ... i know lots of folks out there wouldn't think of touring on anythign else but drop bars which works for them ...

drop bars won't limit you to terrain you can cover ... i went mountain biking on my Nomad when it had drop bars and it worked fine ...

my bikes: http://www.hoogie.co.nz/bikes/the_bikes.htm

good luck!

cheers,hoogie

jgrgilbert

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 01:10:51 pm »
Thing I always notice about drop bars is that most riders seem to spend most of their time riding on the bar tops or brake hoods, which is a lot less comfortable than having straight bars in the first place!

pitbull

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 08:23:19 am »
Has anyone considered 'butterfly' or Yuma type bars on a Raven (such as http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item426.htm)? Will the Rohloff gear changer fit on this type of bar?

Steve Lord

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 08:57:31 am »
I've never been a fan of those bars, though I did try some once - for about half an hour. Those Modolo anatomics are better, though. I think butterfly bars put your hands either too far forward or too far back. The back position, where the brakes are, seems the worst spot and no place to be on a fast downhill. Having seen typical riders who use these kinds of bars, I got the feeling they were designed for upright riders, which the back position would encourage.

efpw

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 07:14:52 pm »
'wjts', I am very interested to hear about your Mercury.  I notice that the link for your pictures does not work.
Do you have a rack on the back?  If so, is there enough heel clearance?
Sorry for taking over the drop/flats thread..
Many thanks,  Ellis

freddered

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 02:40:15 pm »
quote:
Thing I always notice about drop bars is that most riders seem to spend most of their time riding on the bar tops or brake hoods, which is a lot less comfortable than having straight bars in the first place!

I have to dispute this.  As stated before this is all about personal preference but riders who use drops do not generally use them because they are less comfortable than straight bars.

For me it is exactly the opposite.  I can spend a whole day comfortably riding on the hoods or tops but only a couple of hours with straight bars.