Author Topic: Hiding money  (Read 5362 times)

drazelt

Hiding money
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:05:55 am »
Has anyone got any good suggestions as to where they have hidden money before whilst on a long tour.I am leaving in May next year on a world tour and have to carry some cash so any ideas would be welcomed

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Hiding money
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:35:13 am »
Hi Tim!

I'm a little reluctant to make specific suggestions regarding my favorite "hidey-places" 'cos the Forum is open and the Bad Guys can see it as well as the Good Guys (who are all members, of course).

That said, I usually try very hard to keep my money in more than one place when traveling. That way, if some is stolen, I'm not completely out of luck or funds.

I also try to carry relatively little cash for the same reason. So many places take credit cards (which I prefer) or debit cards (which I avoid, as they aren't as secure) that not as much cash is needed as in days past. I used to use traveler's cheques, but have now gone to the plastic equivalent there as well. Don't forget ATMs as a source of cash as well.

As for carrying real cash, I can offer some suggestions and cautions for carrying it on your person. These are already well-known to thieves but make theft less convenient:

1) It seems every thief now knows about money belts, so I tend to avoid them. Also, they are not compatible with cycling shorts, and in warm climates, the internal zipper serves to capture a lot of water vapor and sweat if you're exercising hard. The result is very damp and sometimes mildewed/mouldy money. People don't like to accept sweaty money in payment -- Ew! -- I wouldn't, either.

2) I've had much better luck with a money pouch hung by strings from around my neck and secreted in my shirt. These are typically water-resistant, and so avoid many of the problems of money belts. Many also have room for your passport, which is a plus.

3) I try to stock my pants/accessible pockets with only the money I expect to need for the day (or the next meal), leaving the rest tucked safely away. To make the transfer from reserve to ready funds, I try to go away from sight so people won't see me flash a whole wad of bills. Restroom stalls aren't bad for this, but make sure you face the toilet, away from the door. I was doing this in the San Francisco airport one time, and a hand came reaching over the door all the way to the elbow, eye to the crack in the door. I kept looking ahead, stuffed my money in my pocket, grabbed the hand, and popped the door open, hearing a satisfying "thud" on the other side. Other people entered the restroom and the (unsuccessful) thief was gone by the time I left the stall. Tip: Don't hang valuables on the door coat-hook, either. Thieves regularly reach over and snag such goodies as laptop bags this way.

4) If you carry money in a wallet, make it *two* wallets, one carrying only a nominal amount as a decoy so you will have something to reluctantly and regretfully (acting helps) hand to a thief to avoid the physical consequences of a mugging. No matter how many wallets you carry, place them in your front pants pocket and wrap them with a couple rubber bands to add friction and so make unwanted extraction or accidental loss a bit more difficult. This really paid off for me one time in the West Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) Mall, when a "dipper" went for a pocket pack of tissues in my hip pocket and caught my attention. My wallet was safely up-front, and he left the Kleenex in place in their unfamiliar plastic wrapper.

5) Change (in the form of coins) builds up quickly, weighs a surprising amount, and tends to scatter, so I carry a small coin purse with me to hold it in my pocket and keep it from leaving my pockets if lying on a bed or dropping my pants for extended toileting (a real hazard in some campings restrooms in The Netherlands and Belgium, where the sinks emptied into a sort of gutter than ran behind the toilets in the stalls. These gutters were ideally placed to catch rolling coins as they spilled from pants pockets). My favorite change purse is the Quikoin change purse, now made by Quikey and available in bulk here: http://quikey.com/products/detail-49530-Soft,-Flexible-Vinyl---Oval A complete story about this American nostalgia item is here: http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2007/12/quikoin_rubber_coin_purse_resu.html They are also available in small lots and singly from eBay, as this custom search shows: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=quikoin&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50 You have not lived a Compleat Life till you've owned a Quikoin coin purse! If you use attended restrooms on the Continent, you will need at least a 1 Euro coin for the attendant. Keep in mind you will also need a 1 Euro coin to use a shopping cart/trolley in The Netherlands; you'll get it back when you return the cart to its rack and the little coin-keeper ejects the Eurocoin into your hand. Apparently, 1 Euro is the incentive threshold for cart returns in the NL (or was, in 2008). Here in the States we instead have Red Wheels that lock up on passing a buried RF cable at the edge of the parking lot. Doesn't help with cart returns, but it reduces (doesn't stop) outright cart thefts.

6) A bicycle offers myriad places to secrete money. I will leave it to you to discover these for yourself, as I don't wish to aid thieves. Still, it is helpful to keep a little on the bike, as it is a good backup.

7) Don't forget, a single bill takes up the same space whether it is small or large denomination. A single USD$100 bill is not bad to keep on-hand in case of emergency. Though it is often impossible to change it locally in smaller stores and restaurants, it can always be exchanged at a bank and so get you out of a jam.

8 ) Don't forget to keep a supply of small change and cash on-hand for tips. Tipping is a controversial issue here in the States, but I found people really went the extra mile in Europe, and were either delighted or embarrassed when I offered a well-deserved tip. I always felt better doing so than not, and respected the occasional refusal by letting them know I was genuinely pleased by their kindnesses. In The Netherlands, I returned on one occasion with a handful of flowers from the cart outside and was greeted with joyful tears by a deeply touched waitress who had refused my offer of a cash tip for going above and beyond and performing the duties of a concierge.

9) With a little ingenuity, I think you'll be able to think of a place where you can carry money on your person and still have it secure but easily accessible. I have such a plan, and it has served me well in my various travels over the last 35 years.

10) Not specifically money-related, but it is a Really Good Idea to leave your expensive, flash watch home when traveling. In my experience, travel is an excellent time to embrace the black plastic Casio in your collection, as they are common enough to to be generic and not worth stealing. Stolen watches usually also result in stolen wallets, so there's thread relevance right there. By the way, I don't know a better activity than bike touring for speed-rotting the leather used in watch bands. Nylon webbing has proven the most durable/breathable watchband for me to date on bike trips.

Hope this helps, Tim. Looking forward to hearing more about your travel plans as May approaches.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:47:29 am by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:54 am »
Great points Dan
Esp. liked the one about rubber bands around the wallet.
That kinda tip is just within my budget.
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:57:24 am »
Another few points worth making re bank cards and withdrawls.

We have found that withdrawing money abroad using a bank card is generally at a good exchange rate with minimal charges but it is worth checking what your paticular bank will charge.

It is also worth notifying your bank when travelling abroad as they will put a note on your account which will minimise the chance of your account being frozen due to fears of bank fraud.

It should also be possible to get a second card to your account which allows you to carry a spare bank card in case yours is damaged/stolen.

Make sure you carry all the phone numbers for your bank / fraud center incase you need to stop/re-activate your card in an emergency.

If you are going for a long tour the more you involve your bank and the earlier the more flexible and helpfull they can be in the long run.

Andy

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:21 am »
Another couple of thoughts:

Worth setting up both phone banking and internet banking before you leave and also another modern banking option is to have any movemnets on your account texted direct to your phone. This way when you pay for your diiner by card in Romanian lei you will know exactly how much it has cost you in uk pounds and possibly more importantly you will know straight away if they try to take a different amount / another payment

Andy

energyman

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:48:35 pm »
Try reading Papillon (The book)  !!  Not sure which saddle would be most compatible :-\

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »
yeah this is a problem with me carrying loads of cash money in my wallet,and also this leads to me paying for everything when in company all the clever boys carry credit cards so no flashing loads of dosh.
as for hiding money i suppose its a great idea but how much money to hide  ::)
but carrying a wallet is a bad idea i will have to think of something better. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »
Hi All!

Keying off Andy's suggestions, it is a Really Good Idea to give a by-country itinerary of your expected movements to the credit card issuer before leaving, so their fraud-alert division won't cancel the card on your behalf if it is used elsewhere. Mine does this, and actually thanked me for "saving us work" by telling them I would be using it overseas and specifically where. For this and other reasons, it is not a bad idea to carry two cards, issued by different companies. Despite their ad campaign, I found VISA is *not* "accepted everywhere"; sometimes, AmEx beat them to it. It is also a Very Good Idea to authorize a Trusted Someone or the bank itself to transfer funds from a reserve account to your credit card account if needed, as for an emergency. It is very easy to set this up so it happens with just a phone call from yourself, or even electronically at your behest through an ATM.

Another, often-overlooked option is the bank-issued temporary credit card, set to automatically expire after your expected use.

Needless to say, I carry a small copy of the credit card numbers and the customer service/loss-reporting telephone and contact numbers with me and leave a duplicate copy with family at home. If you've lost the card or if it has been stolen...you wouldn't otherwise be able to "call the number on the back of the card". Seems like a "Duh" thing, but most people don't do this, making card cancellation and replacement far harder than it should be at an already stressful time.

Jags...I know the feeling. In my sad experience, some friends who were far wealthier than I stayed that way by coming up short (I forgot my wallet, they don't have change for a hundred, etc) right at mealtime or when it came time to pay for the night's lodging. It was a problem exactly twice before I learned my lesson. Sure, everyone can get caught short on occasion, but when it becomes chronic over time...yeah, uh...no. Just No. They remained wealthier, but didn't remain friends 'cos friends wouldn't have repeatedly taken advantage*. It wasn't about wealth, it was about fairness.

Jags, one solution might be to load a debit card before you go. An alternative (watch the expiry dates) might be to load up a VISA or AmEx gift card, usable wherever such cards are accepted. You just pay with your card, and the sale is deducted from the balance.

Nope; not a good idea to flash the cash, jags. Sadly, sometimes the people who will take most ready advantage are those traveling with you.

*As a complete aside, it can take awhile to really know people and what they are like on-tour. I still remember the jaw-dropping horror on coming back to my shared hotel room after grocery shopping to find my touring partner had decided to clean his wet, grungy, bicycle drivetrain and rims. In the room. On the carpet. Using the hotel guest towels. And curtains. As rags. :o WHAAAAAAT!? :o I'm sure my eyes popped like a cartoon character's before *I* >>popped<< (blew, more like it). He paid for damages, but I felt my good name (on the guest register) had been damaged by association, and I am sure no cyclists have been allowed since (it has been 33 years...). Yes, you learn a lot about people on-tour.

Ah, me; with a few precautions that soon become a routine part of planning tours, many problems can be solved in advance.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »
Dan shared a room with a guy that done exactly the same thing >:(

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »
Wherever I tour I pay mainly with cash, although I carry a credit card for emergencies and have never had a problem. In Europe I carry two wallets and divide money between them keeping one in my pocket and one someone else amongst my things. In more potentially vulnerable parts of the world it is divided between my wallet and my a body belt.

The beauty of being a cyclist is that many, because of the mode of transport, think we don't have much money and are not worth robbing.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »
Dan shared a room with a guy that done exactly the same thing
Hmm. Wonder if it's the same guy...a serial-killer of hotel rooms!

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 07:56:59 pm »

The beauty of being a cyclist is that many, because of the mode of transport, think we don't have much money and are not worth robbing.

Yes indeed. I was once asked why I didn't have a motor on my 'motorbike'? Was I poor?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 04:02:06 am »
Many years ago I read the story by Nick Danziger of his Churchill Fellowship journey across Asia to Beijing (Danziger's Travels). He was traveling into Afghanistan during the war between the Mujihadeen and Russia, through Pakistan without any entry processing, and was the first European to cross the Kunjerab Pass into China. He used a leather money belt like this. Apparently it was very effective.

Bikes have many useful places to cache a supply of funds. Most secure would be to put a roll of notes in the seat-post, stoppered with a cork, then secure said seat-post with a pitlock.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:04:45 am by il padrone »

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 04:34:19 am »
If you use attended restrooms on the Continent, you will need at least a 1 Euro coin for the attendant.

When traveling in Europe and you need the loo, go and buy a coffee. In Italy a coffee (un caffe) will cost you 1 Euro and you can use the toilets for free.  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:29:33 am »
Dan shared a room with a guy that done exactly the same thing >:(

Maybe you and Dan should go to Charm School and learn to share a room with women instead.

Andre Jute