Author Topic: Looking to replace my vintage wool tights  (Read 5757 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Looking to replace my vintage wool tights
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:03:03 am »
Hi All!

I'm looking to replace my 35 year-old Nashbar nee' Giordana ribbed Superwash Merino wool cycling tights. The have double layers at the saddle (for wear) and over the knees (for warmth), no chamois so I can wear them over shorts, a drawstring at the waist, and zippers at the ankles so I can put them on and take them off with my cycling shoes in place. I wear them under lycra tights to break the chill winds, have slept in them, hiked in them, and taken them cross-country skiing. They can be wrung out when rain-soaked and then quickly donned again over riding shorts and warm up again right away. They're virtually odor-proof, thanks again to the qualities of wool. They've been ideal, especially when one considers I paid only USD$20 for them on sale. What a fantastic value!

They're also about worn-out, so thin they now pass light when I hold them up, and aren't as warm as previously.

Plainly, they need replacement.

I've been looking at new wool ones on this side of the Pond and am reeling from the price shock. I don't know if we've run out of sheep or what, but prices are running upward of USD$200 for wool tights without the knee-warming pads or extra layers to extend wear at the seat. I shudder to think what my wool and wool-blend jerseys cost (I already know...they're running neck and neck in price with the tights).

I have some nice Italian Sergal wool arm and leg warmers from the early '80s that do very nicely, but I get cold in the lycra shorts above where they end mid-thigh.

Does anyone know of a good buy on nice wool tights? Or, lacking wool, is there a synthetic version with similar qualities that is durable, warm when wet, and largely odor-free when used on long tours away from laundering possibilities?

Any and all suggestions are welcome; thanks in advance!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:05:44 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Looking to replace my vintage wool tights
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:28 am »
Here is an offering from Mr. Peterson:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ab4.htm

I got a wool jersey from him a year ago or so and have been happy with it. At least these aren't $200!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:58:33 am »
Jim!

Thanks so much for the suggestion; the price is surely right, at least. I do find myself wishing semi-desperately for zippers and double bottoms/knees, but the fact remains: These are Genuine Wool Tights™ and that's nothing to sneeze at in a day and age when wool is Pricey *if* it is available at all. And...these are Aussie Wool, where happy little sheep gambol and play and get annual haircuts Down Under where some of our nicest Forum members live, and that adds to the cachet.

Time to give these serious thought, but hoping for some competitors to weight them against before sending Ol' Grant a Christmas gift of money in exchange for the tights. I'll bet if I wait...the price will go up. It usually does mere moments before I place my order!

I did find this nice listing of woolie cycling goods, but the prices...some are still pretty high:
http://www.ultracycling.com/old/equipment/wool.html

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:17:11 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:20 am »
I wear a pair of Sport Hill knit pants - maybe these:

http://www.sporthill.com/products2011.php?ProductGroup=2100

anyway, these might be a good alternative to wool.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:22:37 am »
...Sport Hill knit pants...
Now, there's a thought, Jim. SportHill is located here in Eugene, less than 5km from my home. Might drop by their showroom and take a look. Hmm. Maybe it would pay to wait till their semi-annual sale, right after the New Year!

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:32 am »
I have found Ground Effect's Daddy Long Legs tights to be a very fine wiinter garb, even use them for cross-country skiing with some thermal tights underneath. These days they are actually merino lycra, mine have both (I've used two pairs over the past 14 years) been plain lycra with the microfleece knees and shins.

I'd think that any Roubaix lycra tights would be pretty warm as well. I have a Netti Roubaix skull-cap and find it only gets used when the temperature drops below 4C - any warmer and I overheat.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:11:55 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »
Hi Pete!

Thanks for weighing in with the Ground Effects Daddy Long Legs tights; I'd not heard of a Merino wool-lycra blend before, but can readily see the advantages; they surely look nice as well. Zippers! Even a "kidney-warming" rear pocket! Nice. The high lycra content would be nice and supportive to tired muscles, too.

I find if I keep my knees warm, I'm a happy rider. I have been caught-out sometimes with just my 8oz/yard Lycra cycling tights and have needed to stop off at a fast-foot restaurant to gather some paper napkins to fold up and place inside to protect my knees from cold wind and keep them going. I'm pretty sure the grease in my knees thickens and doesn't lubricate as well when it is cold.  ;) They sure do ache when cold; fine if unchilled and allowed to spin fast-and-light.

Thanks!

Best,

Dan. (...who really appreciates the responses and hopes to find the perfect pair soonish as cold weather is coming to Danneauxville)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:06 pm »
Are there any of our Forum members from places like Italy, Norway and greater Scandinavia, Eastern Europe (anything Bulgarian or Romanian, Andy?) or fair Belgium (one of my favorite countries to visit) who might know of locally-produced wool tights with a more traditional design...something like Sergal used to make, or Giordana, Santini or Castelli? ...hopefully at a reasonable price before adding carriage costs?

Thanks!

Best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:28:26 pm »
Dan,
Another vote for the Ground Effect Daddy Longlegs.
One of my sons uses them for frosty conditions commuting.

I add Rainlegs over whatever I am wearing if my knees start to get too cold, works for me.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:22:06 pm »
Thank you, Julian...good to get multiple data points on a product so I will have a better idea how it performs in a variety of uses and conditions. So far....Ground Effects Daddy Longlegs leads with 2 votes; all others, one.

More thoughts and reviews, anyone?

Best,

Dan.