Author Topic: XTC in Winter Guise  (Read 1830 times)

JWestland

XTC in Winter Guise
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:47:22 am »
Touch-up doesn't show much, but trust me it used to have big white chips.

Got it from e-bay, can't claim much on its build.
Some additions:
Marathon Winter tires.
Big strong SolidLights light (on loan) and mudguard Seculite on Alexrims DC19 with DH-3N30 Shimano dynohub.
Tubus Cargo rack (on loan)

I am going to hunt for lighter wheels for summer/unladen. Though the potholes here will dictate 32 spokes probably...

Currently used for commuting and I love the versatility, it will take any tire you want from 1.3 to 2.1 (though CR18 seems to work better with 1.5s and up) which is great for winter/muddy paths and it is also very comfortable. The only gripe is the massive wheelbase which makes for loooooooooooooong corners, but then it's a tourer, not a race machine. I am sure that once I get a chance to load it with 15-20KG I will be superhappy it is that way ;)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andybg

Re: XTC in Winter Guise
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:53:48 am »
Thats looking very slick Jawine and very sporty with that saddle. I do think the tubus racks have it over the Thorn ones in terms of style.

Will be intersting to see how you get on with a lighter wheelset for summer runs. It is something I have considered with my Nomad but with a 145 rear axle it limits me to tandem hubs which are never very light to start with

All the best

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »
Oh, what a gorgeous bike, Jawine; I'm in love with it!

There really is something "just right" about a bike so nicely balanced, and it looks the business for, well, just about anything! The 'bars are so nicely taped (great job!), the paint looks perfect from this side of the um, Pacific, and the tires should be great for now. The Shimano dynohub and Solidlights should help keep you save on these dark days, and the rack will surely prove handy for commuting loads and whatever. One of the nicest mudguard-to-bike fittings I've seen.

I...think I sense a camping trip coming on with warmer weather ahead!

All compliments on a lovely photo, as well!

All happy rides ahead for you!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:39:41 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »
Thanks Andy and Dan  :)

Hehe Dan your posts always cheer me up, you know how to say nice in an extra nice way  ;D

Off to brave the weather...funny after years of complaining with remarks of no money they finally gritted a well used part of a share cycling/pedestrian walkway! My ride tomorrow however will not be done and is full of damp/leaves which now will ice over. That'll the the Mr Spikeys ;)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)