Author Topic: Rigida Sputnik  (Read 6389 times)

Andybg

Rigida Sputnik
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »
Am looking at building up a spare set of wheels for the Nomad as both a backup pair and also to facilitate running different tyres day to day (in the winter mainly)

The hubs (white industry) are 40H so need some heavy duty 40H rims to match. The Rigida Sputnik look like a good option so thought i would as for some feedback or other options on here.

Cheers

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rigida Sputnik
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »
Hi Andy!

I am familiar with the Rigida Sputnik. It is probably best-described as the result of a marriage between Rigida's Andra and Grizzly, and is a very nice touring rim...lighter than the Andra and heavier than the Grizzly, with a near-Andra extrusion profile and double ferrules (the grizzly has single ferrules). In other words, a great all-round touring rim if one doesn't own a Rohloff hub that would benefit from angled spoke holes. I would buy and use one for loaded touring without hesitation; it is a very nice rim. I am constantly amazed we don't see it in more common use.

Let's take a look at how they compare in a little matrix:

Width outer          Width Inner            Sidewall ht.           Rim ht.           Weight*

Andra                25mm                  19mm                   13.5mm              20.5mm         ~818g

Sputnik              25mm                  19mm                   13.0mm              19.5mm         ~670g

Grizzly               22.7mm                18.8mm                13.5mm              22.0mm         ~540g

Plainly, the Andras are built for stout, and have a thick center extrusion running along the spoke line -- so thick, Rigida feel ferrules aren't necessary to add strength. The same center ridge in the spoke well allows for drilling the spoke holes at an angle which aids in spoking the Rohloff's large flange, ensuring the spokes enter the rim straight rather than bending at the ends of the nipples.

The Rigida Sputnik is very similar to the Belgian EXAL S19, but the S19 has a disappearing wear groove in the sidewall, rather than the Sputnik's appearing wear groove (shown in worn-out form here: http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/andrew_sw/rim1.jpg ). I would prefer the latter 'cos it is failsafe insofar as indicating wear limits and it is designed with a C-shaped cross-section of alu around the wear groove, so the rim can be used with care till it can be (soon!) replaced.

For pics showing each rim in cross-section with measurements, go here:
Andra: http://www.bikestation.fi/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=338
Sputnik: http://www.vakantiefietsshop.nl/1051-1841-thickbox/achterwiel-met-rigida-sputnik-velg.jpg
Grizzly: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/rigida-grizzly-mtb-rim-black-51429.jpg

I hope this helps, Andy.

All the best,

Dan.
*Weights are approximate from dealer's websites and won't be accurate for close comparison due to differing numbers of spoke holes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:55:48 pm by Danneaux »

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »
Thank you Dan

As always a thorough answer to a question. Am planning on marrying these up to the White Industry Tandem Hubs so should make a nice heavy duty wheelset.

Cheers

Andy

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »
I have built wheels using Sputniks. They are a strong rim ideal for a laden touring bike.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

triaesthete

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:30 pm »
Hi Andy
Spa Cycles like these and they don't do flimsy lightweight wheels  ;)
Happy shopping
Ian