Author Topic: CSS Rims: Sticky section  (Read 1783 times)

Hamish

CSS Rims: Sticky section
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »
I have Andra CSS rims.  

I really like the fact that they don't wear out! My rear rim, however (on a Rohloff), has one patch of braking surface on which the brakes seem to catch every revolution.  The rim is completely true, I can see no visible difference on the surface and yet as this patch of rim passes through the brakes they seem to grip and slow the bike faster than the rest of the rim.

I thought it may be oil or frame save that has dropped onto the rim so I cleaned it with degreaser then solvent but the issue persists.  

It is very annoying when applying the rear brake and sometimes it makes me skid a bit.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does anyone have any idea what is causing it?

Cheers

Hamish
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:06:11 pm by Hamish »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: CSS Rims: Sticky section
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:30:01 pm »
Hi Hamish!

Not ignoring you...just still giving it some thought.

Looking back through the Forum archives and searching the 'Net, I see two possibilities:

1) Some sort of very resistant surface contamination. Amazingly, I have found some things you'd imagine to be lubricants to actually cause sticky spots on rims. For me one time, it was diesel droplets dropped by a rich-running truck I was following. I had the hardest time removing it, and the rims weren't the worst of it. Got my clothes, my glasses, the paintwork on the bike, everything.  I finally broke out the Big Guns to get it off the rims: An old bottle of 1-1-1 Trichloroethane ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane ). If I ever have kids and there's hands growing out of their foreheads, you'll know what caused it; this is nasty stuff. Two sets of nitrile gloves and a respirator and I still thought I could smell it (vaporous fumes probably absorbed through my skin). The point is, some rim surface contamination can be very, very stubborn to remove. I have had good luck in some cases using automotive rubbing compound. The clays in it absorb contaminants and leave the surface even and clean, but might actually stick in the tiny voids of your CSS rim treatment, so use with care if you give it a go.

2) Perhaps the rims have begun to wear through at this one point, Hamish, or are worn "thinner" there. I would think the substrate would need to show wear overall before this happened, but I have seen it occur occasionally in isolated spots on Mavic's ceramic rims (which, of course, use a much different process than Rigida do with CSS). In any case, if the coating were compromised in some way, perhaps the alu substrate would react with a different coefficient of friction in relation to the pads. It's a thought, however unlikely.

I'll keep my eyes open for a more definite cause and -- hopefully -- solution. Meanwhile, this is the best I have at the moment.

I hope something in this will help.

Best,

Dan.

Hamish

Re: CSS Rims: Sticky section
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:59:32 pm »
Thanks Dan

I think you are right.  And I think that the culprit is Framesaver!  I was wondering if it could be so stubborn but I guess it can!

I am not sure where I can get hold of some Triche!  I wonder if acetone would work?

I tried brake disk cleaner which is a light solvent but that didn't shift it.

I will keep searching!  

Cheers

Hamish.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:30:01 pm by Hamish »