Author Topic: what's the right size for sherpa  (Read 2511 times)

ianeire

what's the right size for sherpa
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »
1)Thinking of getting Thorn Sherpa.Since there are so many sizes--it's confusing.Does anyone know what would be the right size for someone 5'7?
2)Would it really be cheaper to just buy the frame and build it up with different components?has anyone done this.
Thanks,
Ian

hutzelbein

Re: what's the right size for sherpa
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »
Did you have a look at the Sherpa brochure? They have a pretty simple chart near the end. 5'7" should be around 170cm. Thorn suggests frames between 530 and 565. If you have an existing bike that fits you well, you should have an idea what size you need: 530 means 530mm or 53cm. S, L and XL only indicate top tube length. First select the seat tube length you need, and then look which top tube sizes are available. Again, if you have a bike you like, simply measure the top tube length and select something similar. You could also e-mail Thorn. They'll be able to help you.

With regards to building up your own frame: don't do it to save money, unless you already have most parts. You probably can save money, but it'll cost a lot of time, and you should know what you're doing. I built up a Sherpa, but I did it for fun and because I knew that I wanted a very different spec. I pretty much ended up spending about as much as I would have paid for a complete bike. I had a lot of fun, though, and I like tinkering with my bikes.

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:55 pm »
The other thing to consider is that Thorn will be much more able to advise and remedy an issues you may have with a set up if they have built the bike.

Unless there was going to be a large cost saving (which I am sure there wont be unless you have all the donor parts) I would be very tempted to bite the bullit with a full bike purchase.

In respect to frame size it is very much down to how you position yourself on the bike. Do you have a current bike that you are happy with your position.

If so I would follow hutzelbein's advice and fill in the chart on the brochure and follow Thorn's advice.

If not I would suggest speaking directly to Thorn and follow their advice. They have a track record of getting fit right and if not sorting it out

Cheers

Andy

PS - Welcome to the forum

jags

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »
HI Ian and welcome  well i'm 5.6ins and ride a 51s sherpa perfect fit butring sjs they will sort you out no hassle.
i bought the frame aset.and built it up with the help of my son enjoyed every minute.
but as hutzelbein said your not going to save any money, i just wanted to spec the bike out myself and really glad i choose to build it myself.
mistake i made i should have gone with front dynamo wheel build ,other than that i have a great bike with all top notch gear and it rides like a dream.
best of luck hope it goes well ;)

ianeire

what's the right size for sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:24:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice.
It'll help me lots,
Ian

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »
Can't help on size.

If you would enjoy buying the parts and building it up, go for it. 

In my case, I bought a used Sherpa frame and fork from someone that had purchased the wrong size.  I had a pretty good idea what components I wanted to use and already owned some of those parts.

Manufacturers get huge discounts on components and retailers mark up the prices of small items (like all the parts you need) much more than they mark up the cost of a complete bike.  Thus, building up a bike is not a money saver.  In my case, I enjoyed the process of deciding which components I wanted and putting it together.  I ordered a lot of parts from a variety of on line sellers for the best pricing.  The only parts I bought locally were a front derailleur, cables and spokes.  Some of my components were used when I bought them.

jags

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:35:36 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice.
It'll help me lots,
Ian

be sure to get the bottom brcket shell faced sjs should do that for you.
you will need that done especally if your using outer bearings ;)

triaesthete

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »

Hi Ian

Add up the cost of the bits (if you shop around the web and compare like with like) and be suprised. I've built up some bikes to fairly "gold plated" spec for similar money to Thorn base spec. However you pay Thorn for their expertise, workshop time,  customer service,  your time saving, the lack off hassle and research, and of course the lack of worry that comes from the unmatched 100 hundred day money back guarantee. So it's a horses for courses thing, but my guess is if you need to ask us then you are (probably) better off paying Thorn to do the worrying for you.

Hope this helps
Best wishes

Another Ian