Author Topic: Mirth moment here  (Read 1745 times)

in4

Mirth moment here
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »
For all of us who raise an eyebrow at the pretentiousness of some amongst us: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/nov/07/spoof-website-rapha-cycling

JWestland

Re: Mirth moment here
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:14:40 pm »
I would so wear their kit if I had the money but they're a bit up their own behind :)

Looks great though...bar the pinky women stuff. Pink/white bad colours to combine with bike grease/rim dirt as I know from experience fixing road side punctures...and it won't wash out either ;)

I settle for Gore Bike Wear for where it's really needed (NI rain) and TKMaxx/Sales for Jerseys etc...which do the same job and a friend of mine gets Aldi/TKMaxx kit and he's happy too. Though but shoes/gloves/jackets I feel a bit of extra cash saves a lot of wet/cold/not nice experiences...

Lusso BTW in made in UK and not super overpriced.

I do feel spending a bit more on a bike/kit can gain more pleasure, there's cheap and cheerful but there's also cheap and nasty. But for that Sales where invented :)

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Mirth moment here
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »
I do feel spending a bit more on a bike/kit can gain more pleasure, there's cheap and cheerful but there's also cheap and nasty. But for that Sales where invented
This...this is worth framing and putting on the wall; agreed!

I have found day rides are the place for my Nice Stuff. Real Tours™ get the Goodwill jerseys. I've made Old Jerseys out of too many New Jerseys while on-tour, thanks to pine and fir tree sap, creosote bush oil, sagebrush and juniper snags, and chain oil that migrates out of thin air to land in the most visible of places, never to be removed again. Don't forget alu rim oxide thrown from wet brake blocks. That stuff never comes out (ever!).

The Rapha stuff always looks wonderful to me. I know someone locally who seems to have purchased their whole catalog. Nice stuff, but I can't afford or justify it for my use. Nice to look at and dream about, though. The company seems to be very good at creating "aspirational need"!

All the best,

Dan. (...who looks like a dandy on day rides and a hobo on-tour)