Author Topic: jawine will like this  (Read 1730 times)

jags

JWestland

Re: jawine will like this
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:50 am »
Too modern for me Jags :P

Looks like a good beastie, but going for Retro ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170933231636?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Lots of loving work needed though...not sure it's worth the effort. Repainting is stupidly expensive unfortunately, bar powdercoating.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:35 am »
yeah me too i love the steel bikes my raleigh rides great, 753 tubing class act altogether 8).

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »
They still pop up saw a 10.5 KG 105 one on Wiggle, Crabon fork but steel frame. Plenty of old Raleighs on gumtree. Alas not the beautiful chromed ones...

Then there's the guerning (bog Irish for moaning for the non-bog-Irish speakers/residents) that steel road bikes with carbon forks are "heavy". 10.5KG heavy? Unless you are seriously into competition cycling...and very fit...and have a ton of hills 1KG more or less won't matter.

Disclaimer: my lightest bike is a 42/16 fixie at 10.6! XTC is 12.8KG with Tubus rack. Pah he's fine. Now that first Raleigh roadster at uni at about 20KG...once it moved nothing could stop it though!

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »
i made my Raleigh into a light tourer or a great audex bike,  i got rid of the full super reckord campag and replaced it with  shimano.
now you think has jags lost the plot ;D ;D yeah kinda ,but i had no range of gears with the 8 speed campag  so it had to go ,i tried to get the front and rear mechs back from the guy i gave them too  but he said he could not find them  >:(
yeah i'm the biggest idiot for giving stuff away i will never learn  ;D ;D

JWestland

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:43:08 am »
Oh oh you gave away working vintage Campagnolo Record kit?

;D

See I have a tendency to bin/give away old stuff but somehow all my bike kit it tidely squirreled away in a shoe box... muhahaha and all that :)