Author Topic: overweight problem  (Read 5179 times)

jags

overweight problem
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:57 pm »
 Couple of weeks ago i went on a diet, basically stopped eating rubbish and starting eating good lean food no biscuits no cakes all good healty food i'm doing things right even getting some nice walks in as well as cycling.
well thing is in those 2 weeks i havent lost one ounce :( and its starting to wreck my wee head  ;D ;D
have we any experts on the forum  to give me advice,
i reckon i'm 2 stone overweigh which is a lot for a little guy like me  ;D ::)
anyway all help greatly appreciated.

jags.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: overweight problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:07 pm »
Cutting out sugar as much as possible seems like the right move. Fruit juice is healthy in many ways but still can pack a lot of sugar so best to limit that.

I struggle with weight ... my BMI is around 25 and I would like to get it down around 21. I actually hit that target maybe seven years ago, for about a day, and then the whole thing collapsed on me again. Anyway, I would say that two weeks is just in the noise. Your body can pick up and lose water very easily and that weighs a lot. Stick with your regimen for two months and then if it is working you should see some results. A pound a week is the most that is sensible to target but probably a half pound a week is more reasonable. Water fluctuation is probably three or four pounds. That's why two weeks is in the noise.

No need to hurry. The real game is to find a pattern that you can sustain and really thrive on, physically, emotionally, socially, etc. It's silly to lose a bunch of weight and then put it back on again... like I did!

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:04:45 pm »
Cheers Jim i will keep it going for another while no point in stopping now,
i even stoped taking real sugar on that canderal stuff only use it on the porrage in the morn,
cut out the bread as well only 2 slices a day which is pure murder for me i do like bread  :(i have to get blood tests done shortly lets see what they come up with. ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »
My favorite book on nutrition is Walter Willet's Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy. A point he makes that agrees with my experience is: starches like bread are not a single category but really a spectrum. I get hypoglycemia very easily so that is my barometer. For me, high fiber food helps moderate the speed that starches get into my system. Really coarse grain bread is great for me, while white bread is not. Brown rice is good for me, white rice is not.

By the way... speaking of brown rice... a year ago or so I got a fancy rice cooker, a fuzzy logic thing by Zojirushi. It cooks brown rice wonderfully. I can get it started before a ride and then two or three hours later when I get back - ah! A nice bowl of brown rice! I had a cheap rice cooker maybe twenty years ago that just couldn't handle brown rice.

Truth is though that everybody is built different so really it can be good to study the literature a bit and hear about others' experiences but all that just gives a person some possibilities to work with. Each of us is stuck figuring out what works for their particular system.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »
1. Two weeks isn't long enough to tell anything.

2. Exercise doesn't necessarily give you weight loss. All that happens at first is that fat is transformed into muscle. Those standard BMI ratings have to be sensitively interpreted in the light of your body mass distribution (whether you're pear-shaped or apple-shaped), the amount of exercise you've always taken and are now taking, the type of exercise (Ken Kifer said that cyclists are men with well-defined leg muscles and soft bellies...), etc.

3. Sudden, dramatic weight loss is worthless. You just put it back on again when you stop your diet, as you will. That's why all these flash diets are worthless. What you want is a lifestyle change.

4. What actually works, permanently, is a very modest plan to lose one pound, half a kilo, every month, a stone every 14 months. That's relatively easy to achieve and maintain by cutting out sugar and salt and fat from your diet.

5. I carry a handy tool in my wallet. It is a table of permissible sugar, fats, saturates and salt per 100g, all of which are usefully printed on food packages. I don't eat anything which, per 100g, has more sugar than 5g, more fat than 3g, more saturates than 1.5g, more salt than 0.3g, sodium multiply by 2.5 to get actual salt content.

6. My wife has a scheme whereby meat/fish/whatever protein and potatoes together (I don't eat rice) together occupy a third of the plate, and the rest is five or six vegetables.

7. Any diet which cuts out bread is worthless. Bread is a substantial part of your fibre intake. One of the very few diets that actually works, long term, is Audrey Eyton's F-Plan diet. http://www.amazon.com/Audrey-Eyton/e/B001HD3ZRE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

8. That caused me to lose 2 pounds a month since February but recently, just eating a handful of raisins a day (concentrated sugar), the rate has slowed and one month I put something back on. See 4 above about modest aims being more generally maintainable.

9. Reinforce your self-image by not buying new, tighter clothes when you succeed in losing weight. My trousers are falling off but, instead of making me look ridiculous, it makes me an object of envy to men and lust to women for my willpower.

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
Wow i have a long road ahead of me so,and there was me thinking male model status in a couple months.
my dreams are shattered  ::)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:23 pm »
Jags,

I can't offer anything except to reinforce the already stellar advice given above. I do think two weeks is too early to expect much in the way of results on the scale. The body does kind of go into conservation mode when dieting and -- from what I've read -- skipping meals makes this worse, so don't do that.

Even if you didn't lose weight, there are health benefits from eating a more healthy diet, and those are well worth it.

Keep up the good work; I'm proud of you! Time will bring results, but it may come in the form of greater energy and some body sculpting before it shows up on the scales.

Or, you could come on-tour with me, where I lose a pound a day through hard work and burning more calories than I take in (I try to bulk up a little before I go, with this in mind). There's not a lot to eat Out There except what I carry, and that sometimes has to last awhile.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »
Dan you would surly kill me with that tour your planning  ::)
i seriously could not see myself trekking through the desert with not a shop in sight  ;D ;D
certainly a great way to loose weight thats for certain.

ah i'll stick at it my better half is saving a fortune she's not buying any cakes  biscuits sweets i didn't even realize how much of that crap i was eating.
got a lovely 30 miler in today 14mph average,  very cold but lovely clear skys so a few of those spins a week and i'll be well on the way to shedding a few pounds. ;)

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »
Hi Jags

How is the diet going?

The thing to remember is that the body is a fickle thing and as long as you are doing more excercise and eating fewer calories your weight will stabalise at a lower level.

The key I have found is not to focus on the weight loss but in the change of lifestyle and the body will eventually get the message and change accordingly.

Best of luck with it

Andy

jags

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 04:47:46 pm »
Hi Andy yeah still trying but not one ounce did i loose very frustrating ;D :(
but i feel strong on the bike so all is not lost, i hate  been overweight i was always 10 stone but when i hit the 40 mark all changed and now i'm in my 50's  i have no hope  bvut i'm a happy camper at the best of times so i'll get over the belly problem.
more concerned on getting this new front dynamo wheel. ;D ;D

Andybg

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:50:43 pm »
Just think of it that when you get the dynamo wheel you will have a spare wheel to go with the spare tyre - LOL

Fingers crossed for its safe arrival

Andy

jags

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D i'm highly insulted  ::) ;D

Andybg

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 06:05:19 pm »
LOL

Cheers

Andy

JWestland

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 11:14:37 am »
I got a used dynamo front wheel on Alex Rim with Shimano Dynohub for £23.

But I am just a cheap skate  ;D

Weight training works really well for body recompositioning. Kettlebells, bodypump the works. Won't make you lighter, will shrink the belly.

Most important though:
Eat health food you LIKE (I can't abide salads in this climate)
Exercise with things you LIKE (I don't like going slow so I interval train)
And if that doesn't work for something you need to do find an exercise buddy :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »
jags knows he has an open invitation to join me on a lose-a-pound-a-day loaded tour...

All the best,

Dan.