Author Topic: What and Why do you ride?  (Read 9090 times)

Andybg

What and Why do you ride?
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »
I have been thinking about this for a while and thought it would be interesting to hear what Thorn bike you use and what do you use it for. I am sure it would be of interest to other Thorn owners and also to anyone considering buying one.

I'll see if I can get the ball rolling.

I ride a mk1 Nomad (like the current Sherpa) and use it 60% of the time for utility riding either for shopping or moving the grandchild (soon to be grandchildren when they get old enough) around. The other 40% of the time I use it for bombproof dayrides (the roads here are very bad).

It is a bit heavy but unbelievably comfortable. In the last year I have racked up about 6000km on it.

I also have a Thorn Tandem which the wife and I have started taking out for short runs.

jags

Re: What and Why do you ride?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »
Andy i use it for long day rides as well ,it took me a long time to get used to it simpley because i always rode lightweight bikes ,but yeah it's a class bike to ride all day and when its loaded up it's as solid as a rock . only use for day rides and tours nothing else i have the car for everything else. ;)

energyman

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
An RST, incredibly comfortable to ride only problem is that it is a bit on the heavy side which saps the energy.  Rohloff is a dream if a tad noisy.  The second bike is an aluminium framed, belt drive, commuter type and is much lighter.  The Shimano 11 speed is good and is a lot quieter than the "R".  The third bike is one you can leave outside a shop, complete with a basket on the front and is fine for short distances !
Riding for the sheer pleasure of it which I enjoy what ever the weather.  However I do come from one of the best cycling areas of the UK mainly because traffic is not usually a problem.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:29:43 pm by energyman »

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »
I ride a Sherpa (mk2), size 610S, which is used mainly for touring with full camping load (so far it has been to Spain, France, Wales and Ireland, as well as shorter tours here at home in Scotland) and day rides, and which also becomes my snow/ice bike in winter with a change to studded tyres from around November to March.
I fitted a Rohloff hub to it nearly two years ago and there is a thread on this here : http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3235.0

I also ride an Audax Mk3, size 600, which is mainly used for longer day rides in the summer, and for days in winter when there is no threat of snow or ice.
It has also seen lighter touring duty when I did LEJOG a couple of years ago and had four panniers on it (luggage for two people!).
There's a picture of it here : http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3693.0

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:17:15 am »
My bikes:

Thorn Nomad Mk II, purchased November 2010
Brompton M-type 6 speed, purchased August 2006
Workcycles Super Transport, purchased May 2006
Trek 520, purchased June 1996, currently without pedals

I gave away my last couple bikes in 1992 to go on an extended meditation retreat, and the Trek was my first bike after retreat. I didn't own a car from 1996 to 2003, out in Hillsboro Oregon. So that Trek got a lot of use, commuting, shopping, exploring, etc. I forget the logic behind the Workcycles purchase exactly, but I do like practical biking just to get around. The Workcycles is a fantastic grocery bike, as long as there aren't any nasty hills. The Brompton was for use with the MAX Light Rail system. I was taking some evening classes. I could zip from the office to the train, get on with the bike even if the car was crowded, then zip from the downtown station to my class.

I moved back east, to a very hilly rural area, in 2007. At first I didn't ride mucn but then I got a temporary job with the Census Bureau, working for a few months in the spring of 2009 and again in the spring of 2010. That had me driving over all the back roads which got me thinking WOW what great biking around here! I had some more intense and more local work in 2010. I used our teenagers Jamis X1 hardtail for getting back up those steep gravel roads. The 520 is geared too high and already has too many funny spots on the rims and then rear STI shifter went. Somehow the Nomad seemed like just the bike for the local terrain and anything else that I might encounter.

Mostly I just ride loops of 20 miles or so from my front door, by myself. I've been out on a few organized group rides. There was an Earth Day 20 mile ride out of town in 2010 and that was the first time I ever heard about randonneuring. Wow! Mostly though I ride 10 mph and the groups go 15 mph so there is no overlap at all. I did get the teenager out on a few rides before he went off the college. The big adventure of the year was our 8 day ride, 400 miles along the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany, along with 500 other riders!

I do a little bit of practical riding, .e.g groceries, but most of my rides are really just for exercise and sometimes a bit of exploring the roads. Enjoying the local roads too, of course!

I am a long time believer in peak oil, the notion that petroleum is a finite resource and that the global rate of extraction will decline more in a framework of a decade or two at most rather than anything like a century or two. Add in global warming and whatever else you like, basically it seems to me that a lower horsepower way of living is unavoidable. I would rather get the hang of it before I am dragged into it screaming. Plus I think the best way to lead is by example.

I dream of more long rides, probably by myself, maybe credit card or camping or some combination. That Route Verte up in Quebec sure tempts me! Or how about just a two day ride to my sister's place down in Norwalk, or out to my friend in Ithaca which would be four days probably. I like the idea of multi-day practical rides, going someplace for more reasons than just riding. Maybe half to enjoy the riding and half to hang out with friends or attend a conference or whatever.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 02:45:11 am »
My bikes:

Thorn Nomad Mk 2 - bought frame & components and built 2011
Shogun Metro SE - $8 frame and bought components to build 2007
Cecil Walker road bike 27", 10 speed - custom built 1981
Gerald Tate single speed (1949 frame) - bought components and built up 2008
Victoria German WW2 roadster - bought 2009 at Vintage Cycles Club swap-meet *
Giant XcX dual suspension MTB - bought 2001
Trek T100 tandem - bought second hand - 1999

For many years I rode a Giant Sedona MTB, bought in 1993. My son now uses the frame and my wife's bike was upgraded with the components after I built up the Thorn Nomad last year.

Mostly I now ride the Thorn Nomad (have done over 12,000 kms on it), but intend now to use the Shogun mainly for my commute, keeping the Thorn for touring rides. It is very comfortable in almost any sort of riding, but is exceptional for fully loaded touring. The long wheelbase and solid frame make for a very sturdy and sweet-handling bike on sealed roads or on the dirt. The Cecil Walker is the bike I ride on Audax rides. It is a very nice light bike (12kgs with lights mudguards and it is a steel 531 frame) and has a very nice ride quality - does need a new head set though, the old EDCO Competition is slightly brinneled and no longer available.

I've gone off MTB trail riding in the past few years, after a few injuries, so the Giant dually is probably my least used bike at the moment. A shame really.

* For some idea of what this one is, as no doubt it raises queries, here it is. It has a Victoria head badge on the classic old frame, badge on the rear mudguard, drop-outs designed to take a rear two-legged triangular stand, rear coaster hub marked "Victoria D.R. patent" (Deutsche Reich I believe) and an original Victoria front mudguard emblem that I was very lucky to find on Ebay. The original emblem went missing when this bike was loaned out as a stage prop for 'The Sound of Music' here in Melbourne. Oh, and the front fork's sprung suspension is something I've never seen before :

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:09:11 pm by il padrone »

peter jenkins

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:30 pm »
Hi all,

I've had my Club Tour since 2005 when I rode the C2C and I did LEJOG on it in 2006. It's used mostly for commuting and Audax back in Australia now. It has the XT running gear and I've fitted a SON dyno hub. It's a bit heavy but oh so bulletproof.

Other bikes are a 2001 Bianchi (Alloy frame) a 1987 Hillman (531) and a Pashley Moulton TSR30 since 2009, also used for Audaxing on occasion.

Il Padrone...

Will you be riding the Audax Alpine Classic in January?

I plan to be there, but won't ride my Thorn Club Tour in that particular event, preferring the lightweight Bianchi.

You could email me at berlioz@bigpond.net.au to arrange a coffee in Bright if you're going and we can compare Thorn stories.

Cheers,

pj

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
Ah, the Alpine Classic! I did do the first ACE 250, but generally I like to do a camping tour on that weekend. In the past few years I have also had a clash with the dates we book for our family beach holiday down the coast, so I have not done the 210km Alpine Classic.

I shall have to sadly decline the coffee invitation. Another time perhaps.

Swislon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:13 am »
Thorn RST 2006
Bob Jackson audax
Van Nicholas Yukon
Santana tandem
Brompton
Genesis Alititude 20 mountain bike
Mercian Routier 1984 in bits

My wife has just bought an RST this summer and is still within the 100 days but you try and take it off her to send back!! She loves it.

We ride mainly with our local group on a Sunday at the moment up to 60 miles. We also get out 2/3 times during the week for an hour to an hour and half. When our youngest daughter gets off to Univercity next year then the plan is to go further afield.
When I go into the garage the RST is my go to bike first. I have to think "do I want to ride one of the other bikes today?" it is not as light as the two audax but is very comfortable and has Thorn comfort bars which I really like and of course the Rohloff is so easy.  I have been considering a Thorn Mercury with drops but would need to sell at least a couple of the others first! But which ones?

I ride because I love excercising, love travelling under my own steam, find it difficult to sit still and love stopping for coffee and cake!.

Steve

honesty

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:07 am »
I have an audax mk3.

I use it for:
1. commuting the 2 miles to work (clipless pedals and work shoes are ok over the short distance!). Its so short that usually when I cycle to work I pop home for lunch.
2. Doing longer (20+ mile) commutes when I get the time and the weather is nice. Either before work, after work, or sometimes both. I usually stick my work clothes in a pannier and wear clipless shoes etc.
3. Traveling down to or back from the inlaws when my wife has the car, or its nice, or she's staying over. Usual distance is between 40 and 50 miles depending on the route, though I've stretched it out to the 60 - 70 range by going along interesting roads, etc.
4. Day rides 50 - 100 miles.

I'd like to at some point do some lightweight (YHA) touring on it. I like the idea of offroad biking, but I just dont think I'd have the time (let alone the money) to fully invest in that sport. I also like the look of recumbents, but cant afford one and have never tried one. Even so those ICE trikes look good!

Andybg

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »
@ honesty

Yep I keep looking at a trike. I have no other reason to get one apart from they look awfully good fun.

Maybe I could sell the idea to the wife that they would be much safer in the ice and snow!!!

I thoght I would try mountain biking again and did about a month ago. Paid for a days bike hire and guide and did about 45km on offroad tracks. Absolutely despised it. To emulate the experience take a hammer to your rims until they are hexagonal and then ride your bike down the road whaile someone tries to take wacks at you with various bits of shrubbery.

I was very dissapointed to dislike it so much but I suppose if we all liked the same things life would be boring.

Andy

peter jenkins

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:02 am »
I shall have to sadly decline the coffee invitation. Another time perhaps.
That's a shame Il Padrone, I would have interrogated you thoroughly about your recent epic tour.....

Cheers,

pj

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:04:14 am »
@ honesty

Yep I keep looking at a trike. I have no other reason to get one apart from they look awfully good fun.

Maybe I could sell the idea to the wife that they would be much safer in the ice and snow!!!
Velomobiles go well on ice  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-286_26zpbU

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:32:53 am »
That's a shame Il Padrone, I would have interrogated you thoroughly about your recent epic tour.....

Maybe on another occasion. I am likely to ride the Salute to Irene Plowman night Audax 200, if it is on again in Feb.

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »
@ Il Padrone

Love your vintage bike, especially those white balloons. Man, you're ten miles beyond cool!

Andre Jute