Author Topic: Bikes for Sale  (Read 4206 times)

Andybg

Bikes for Sale
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »
As part of my garage clearout this year I have decided to sell of some of my bikes I have collected over the years. I am going to put them on ebay when I get to the UK but thought I would just list them here in case one of them jumps out to someone. Aparently having over 20 bikes is not normal.

A 62cm 80's Raleigh Panasonic Reynolds 531c running shimano 105/600
A Mid 70's 55cm Bianchi Road Bike running campagnolo
A mid 90's Bianchi Milano Cafe Racer with alfine 8 speed igh
A Vintage Schwinn Stingray Chopper with 5 speed shifter like the old raleigh chopper on the downtube. If anyone knows anything about these I would love to know what age it is?

If anyone is interested in any of the bikes let me know and I can send through photos and better description.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Bikes for Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:28 pm »

A Vintage Schwinn Stingray Chopper with 5 speed shifter

I had a Stingray that I got new in I think 1967. The shifter was on the top tube if I recall correctly - quite a large lever!

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:56:02 pm »
Yeah its got a large chromed plastic box with a chrome handle and a red handle on the top. Very funky.

Andy

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »
Yeah, lots of chromed plastic, that was the bike! It was just the bike I wanted at the time! Then maybe the next spring or so I met Mark Laessig who was just brilliant and a huge influence on me. His family was very hip and tuned in. He had some sort of European racing bike... Campagnolo Record derailleurs, I remember that much. I took the banana seat off than Sting Ray and substituted some old mattress saddle, I think from Mark's garage. I tilted the handlebars forward to give me more of an aerodynamic position. That was my bike till about 1970 when I got a Raleigh Super Course.

Here was my ride over to Mark's house:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/98721341

in4

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »
Spotted this MK1 Nomad on the CTC forum. http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=69287

Not mine

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:48 pm »
A Vintage Schwinn Stingray Chopper with 5 speed shifter like the old raleigh chopper on the downtube. If anyone knows anything about these I would love to know what age it is?
Andy, my experience with these mirrors JimK's with much the same evolution from there. Mine had a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed with what I came to refer to as the "Eunuch Shifter" option (it looked much like the Hurst floor shifter from a '60s muscle car and was wonderful except for it's castrato side effects that came into play with every deliberate and inadvertent dismount -- one simply could not get off the bike without one's delicate parts becoming painfully impaled. Thankfully, I outgrew it before incurring any permanent damage).
I tilted the handlebars forward to give me more of an aerodynamic position.
...and don't forget...it also looked cool. Way.

Jim...your comment on the banana saddle brought back some memories. Mine was whitish with flecks of silver glitter in the vinyl cover and silvery transverse "quilt lines" about every couple inches. This was over about 1/8in of open-cell foam, which was not enough to cover the stamped-steel seat pan. After just a few miles, "ouch" -- it hurt!

Ah, childhood memories. It's a wonder we survived, isn't it? We used to ride in cars with no seatbelts (nevermind air bags), and never wore helmets when we rode. Still here!

All the best,

Dan. (...maybe a little addled, but still here! Oh, I already said that...)

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:18 pm »
A Mid 70's 55cm Bianchi Road Bike running campagnolo

Might be something for me for vintage racer...but is that the Top Tube length or seat tube?
I need 53 cm or thereabouts virtual top tube :)

Is there a model name so I can find pics?
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »
Ill measure the bike for you and let you know

Andy

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:11 pm »
Thanks! :)

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »
oh yes that bianchi sounds sweet i got one for my 50th birthday all dura ace lovely bike.

Andybg

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
I measured the bike up and it is a 55cm c-c so I think it will be a bit big.

Andy

JWestland

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 10:29:29 am »
Hm yes that's at the top end. My thorn is 55 CTC and it's not a race fit.
Too bad!

Eying up a Bianchi Chromo Tron on e-bay. The problem is e-bay prices can be CRAZY!

I'm a bit in love with vintage road bikes with chrome stays/forks. Most are real beauties... :)

Andybg

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »
My friend has an original (owned from new) full chrome Raleigh Record which was one of 10 built in 1966.

He also has his original 1970 Wilson which was built specifically for him at the time. Both are not only in immaculate condition and totaly original but he uses them on a frequent basis which is great to see.

He is the person that I bought the Bianchi from and I have taken the bike back to him to resell as he knows far more about it.

JWestland

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 04:31:27 pm »
It sounds like it's very good, but unfortunately too big for me...
Bianchi with Campagnolo from those days are generally high quality fine bikes.

Unfortunately vintage bikes have gone up a lot in price, well that's great if you're selling but not so great when buying  ;D

Just a chromed 70s-80s frame on e-bay already nets £100 and up...