Author Topic: Porridge again..  (Read 24787 times)

cuddy duck

Porridge again..
« on: November 05, 2003, 11:19:34 pm »
So, er, how do you have yours?

With salt? And honey? So do you eat that with a spoon?

simplesbharris

Re: Porridge again..
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 08:35:38 am »
Smarties! loads of sugar, and a splash of cream. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Makes me proper ill though, so i dont do it too often.

Pedaldog

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 03:56:33 pm »
I reckon there are a few wierdos around that don't have cheese in their porridge!
It disturbs me to think this.

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 05:09:42 pm »
Brown sugar and a dash of H2M(that's milk by the way!).

For a non-sweet(breakfast)version I like roasted garlic, a splash of xtra virgin olive oil and chick peas all dropped in.

Chris Land

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 02:41:29 pm »
At home: brown sugar and butter
On tour: sugar and raisins.

Like it with honey and raisins, but dislike carrying a heavy, sticky honey pot around on tour with me.

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 04:42:07 pm »
Chris-

Carry a bees hive instead and it can double as a "loaded missle" when projected at dogs, rude people, rude motorists, customs officials, bike shop owners who don't have your favorite brand of tire, etc...

besides the stickyness of the honey splashing the victim the queen-bee and worker-bees will add that extra "kick" that the offender is sure to remember.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:33 pm »
Old thread, but I had some this cold 'n' foggy Oregon morning.  Or I think I did.  Mine was raw oatmeal reconstituted with boiling water, stirred, and let to sit for a minute or so to thicken.

Is that what commonly comprises "porridge" in the UK?  I've heard that for some it is semolina or other dried grains, also reconstituted with hot water.

Most available here seems to be prepackaged, highly-sweetened stuff with various "flavorings" part of the mix.  Just add water and microwave.

In any case, I had mine with a splash of milk, some raisins mixed in, and topped with a light dusting of brown sugar.  I also like it with just milk and blueberries when the berries are in-season.

Dan
(fluent in 'Merkin English, learning the original with the help of patient British friends; thanks!)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:15:18 pm »
While I was living in Oregon, I got in the habit of eating Bob's Red Mill porridge:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/10-grain-hot-cereal.html?&cat=9

Fortunately there are stores out here that carry it, too! I cook it up with a handful of raisins. Then when it's done I add tablespoons of nutritional yeast, pea protein powder, and flax oil. That's nutritious!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 03:14:28 pm »
Not really a recipe for porridge but what I do with mine.

• Chuck a handful of porridge oats (or bet yet ground oats a.k.a Ready brek)  in a zip lock bag.
  • Add approx Table Spoon of milk powder
  • Add approx 2 tea spoons of sugar

Store in  pannier until you want some breakfast.  At which point add near boiling water directly to your zip lock bag, knead up the contents and put aside, somewhere insulated, for 5 minuets (I put mine in the pocket of my fleece top).  Then enjoy you breakfast directly out of the bag. 

The advantage is that there is no washing up and you can measure up all your meals before you leave home.  You can do the same thing with the packets of 'Oats so simple'  but it is more expensive.

energyman

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »
If you have Anosmia as I do - all you need is a mixture of COMPLAN, full cream powdered milk and hot water to make an excellent breakfast or any other meal for that matter !
As for the lack of taste - this is not a problem as I have an RST - this proves I have taste !

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:26 am »

:D

Relayer

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 09:04:03 am »
Not really a recipe for porridge but what I do with mine.

• Chuck a handful of porridge oats (or bet yet ground oats a.k.a Ready brek)  in a zip lock bag.
  • Add approx Table Spoon of milk powder
  • Add approx 2 tea spoons of sugar

Store in  pannier until you want some breakfast.  At which point add near boiling water directly to your zip lock bag, knead up the contents and put aside, somewhere insulated, for 5 minuets (I put mine in the pocket of my fleece top).  Then enjoy you breakfast directly out of the bag. 

The advantage is that there is no washing up and you can measure up all your meals before you leave home.  You can do the same thing with the packets of 'Oats so simple'  but it is more expensive.

That is very close to the true Scotish way of making porage, except here it is stored up one's kilt for 5 minutes ... providing the added benefit of solving brass monkey problems.   ;D

By the way ... that reminds me, did I mention we got through Hurricane Bawbag unscathed last week!   :D

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »
So that is what a sporen (sp) is for! Holding your porridge!

Lemming

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 09:25:05 am »
Oats.
Water.
Salt.

And nothing else.

Eaten standing.

in4

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 09:36:14 am »
There appears to be far too many heathens worshipping at the temple of false porridge here. With the zeal of an angry Jesuit I implore you all to partake of Jordans organ whole oats porridge. Soaked overnight in water and then cooked on the hob with a little milk and a smidgeon of honey before serving, Jordans will save you from your heretical ways and the insidious evils of Ready Brek, Quick oats, and Warm sawdust!

PS currently on half-price ( 99p) in T***o's  ;)