Author Topic: Cycling for Fitness ?  (Read 1890 times)

George Edward

Cycling for Fitness ?
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:10 am »
No body can ignore the importantcve of cycling which is one of the leading and most useful cardio exercise . Most People use to get the cycling for specific purposes , some of them use to get it for havinf fitness and givbe strength to the body which is more important for all . I also get cycling regualrly to make me fit and health for a long time .

JWestland

Re: Cycling for Fitness ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:52 am »
Second that...

And I can recommended fixed for more fitness, gets the hamstring strong and no gearing down on hills/heavy winds :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

greybadger

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:44:17 pm »
Agree, I have an irregular heart rhythm that put the brakes on my jogging/running regime and now I cycle as often as I can. Steep long hills are a big problem but I get so much more enjoyment and cardiac value out of cycling and covering many more miles and taking in so much more visually than walking and jogging just a few miles. I've almost convinced my wife that we can get by with one car.  I aspire to completing a LEJOG and eventually something more significant that will require a Thorn product. I currently ride a Whyte Stirling which is a revelation compared to the clunky Giant hybrid I had before.     

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
Welcome aboard Greybadger.
Definety a great way to keep fit and far more useful than running. I am sure the hills will get easier as tim progresses. A lot of people find it a bit easier to get right down the gears and keep those legs peddling fast but with no more force than on the flats - just the bike going slower

Regards

Andy

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:54:40 pm »
Agree, I have an irregular heart rhythm that put the brakes on my jogging/running regime and now I cycle as often as I can.

Welcome to the hearts and minds corner of the forum, Greybadger. I find that controlling my cycling output by my respiration rate is wonderfully efficient and has actually made me faster, not that I was ever very fast, you understand.

I currently ride a Whyte Stirling which is a revelation compared to the clunky Giant hybrid I had before.     

Yes. I rode an expensive Peugeot mountain bike for years, in and out of the physio because the wretched thing wrecked my back, and I didn't even know enough about bikes to understand it wasn't my fault. Then, almost on a whim, I imported a Gazelle stadssportief, and it came as a revelation to me how comfortable a bike could be. Then I learned about bicycle components and geometries and fit, and started reengineering bikes I bought for other interesting technical features to suit me perfectly. http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html For the last decade, rather than go out grudgingly, I can't wait to get on my bike. Fortunately my cardiac consultant is a cyclist too, who understands that it is the best form of exercise.

Andre Jute