Author Topic: Solar Panel  (Read 3450 times)

keleher

Solar Panel
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:23 pm »
I've seen a few questions about solar pop up in other threads. I, and friends, tried a few that were crap in the past. Currently I have the sCharger-5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZFQUWO/ref=wms_ohs_producthttp://

Usually charged up iPhone 4 up in two hours. Yesterday it charged my iPhone 5 from 49% to 89% in one hour flat, which I was pretty happy with.

It's 8 oz, 6" x 8" closed. Includes no wires or buffer battery, you charge directly. I've not actually taken it on tour, but did take it on a hike in the andes, where it was brilliant. It's quite sturdy, and I think I'd have no problem securing it either across back panniers and the rear rack, or the Bob.

keleher

Re: Solar Panel
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:59:35 pm »
Okay, seriously? Not a single reply?

How about a:
a) cool, thanks!, or
b) um, but Pete, that panel has been totally replaced by the 15-Watt Acme Bike Panel, which is only $9.99, or
c) Hey, I need a generator for my boat, and I'd like to hijack this thread......

julk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 05:12:15 pm »
Keleher,
I cycle and tour in the UK.
we have just had 6 summers in a row with little sunshine and plenty of rain.
I wish you well with your solar charger, but I am unable to offer much advise except don't use one in the UK.

Now if it was a thread on how waterproof does a tent need to be...
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:38:20 pm »
Hi Pete!

I saw and read your post with great interest, but Life intervened before I could make a proper reply and it slipped through the cracks.

I addressed some of the issues related to solar for my own needs in a recent post here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3717.msg23659#msg23659

I really do appreciate your report, and consider it another positive data point for a charging system. I'm on the cusp of a major post on this whole bike/touring/charging thing as soon as the rest of the parts arrive. I've got sponsorship for this one and manufacturer(s) as interested in the results as we, so I will be able to make the tests public and crowd-source some of it so your input will matter, and the results can benefit us all.

Your report is spot-on useful, so you definitely get a "cool, thanks!" from me!

All the best,

Dan. (who always wants More Power!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:00:17 pm by Danneaux »

keleher

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:41:22 pm »
Keleher,
I cycle and tour in the UK.
we have just had 6 summers in a row with little sunshine and plenty of rain.
I wish you well with your solar charger, but I am unable to offer much advise except don't use one in the UK.

Now if it was a thread on how waterproof does a tent need to be...
Julian.

See? That's all I'm asking. Now I feel good, because I live in a land of sunshine.

keleher

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:43:03 pm »
Hmm... If this had come from anyone else, I might say "Yeah...right."   

But I am intrigued.

Hi Pete!

I saw and read your post with great interest, but Life intervened before I could make a proper reply and it slipped through the cracks.

I addressed some of the issues related to solar for my own needs in a recent post here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3717.msg23659#msg23659

I really do appreciate your report, and consider it another positive data point for a charging system. I'm on the cusp of a major post on this whole bike/touring/charging thing as soon as the rest of the parts arrive. I've got sponsorship for this one and manufacturer(s) as interested in the results as we, so I will be able to make the tests public and crowd-source some of it so your input will matter, and the results can benefit us all.

Your report is spot-on useful, so you definitely get a "cool, thanks!" from me!

All the best,

Dan. (who always wants More Power!)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:22 pm »
Pete,

Hopefully, enough of the parts will be here soon so I can post before the end of next week.

Stay tuned!

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:04:46 am »
I am using the Powermonkey Extreme battery with the solar panel. It is definitely of great use in our sunny land. When the tyres are spinning 'oh so slowly' in sand or corrugations at 7-12 kmh the solar panel has great value as it is recharging the battery or device, even while stopped at lunchtime. The panel has a USB output so can be used for various devices, or to charge the Powermonkey Extreme (big mother) battery.

This solar panel has a 5V 3W usb output, so not quite as much as your panel will give.

It will take over a day of sunny skies to recharge this big battery.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:59:12 am by il padrone »

keleher

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 12:58:47 am »
I am using the Powermonkey Extreme battery with the solar panel. It is definitely of great use in our sunny land. When the tyres are spinning 'oh so slowly' in sand or corrugations at 7-12 kmh the solar panel has great value as it is recharging the battery or device, even while stopped at lunchtime. The panel has a USB output so can be used for various devices, or to charge the Powermonkey Extreme (big mother) battery.

This solar panel has a 5V 3W usb output, so not quite as much as your panel will give.

It will take over a day of sunny skies to recharge this big battery.

Very impressive/encouraging if your panel can actually charge that monster in a day.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:32:12 pm by keleher »