Author Topic: Cycling with kids: Tandems, trailers, trail-ers, or...?  (Read 3216 times)

JWestland

Cycling with kids: Tandems, trailers, trail-ers, or...?
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:08:55 am »
[Mod Note: Moved from Bikes for Sale to a standalone topic, since many on the Forum with little ones face the same issues -- how best to ride together? Slight editing of Jawine's post for new topic. -- Best, Dan.]

[Trying] to find a tandem for cheap...[one] might be suitable for me + wee man with convertors!

Tandems are rare as hen's teeth in Norn Ire.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:24:31 pm by Danneaux »
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

honesty

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:38:02 am »
Ive sold stuff collection only in the past on ebay, and had the buyer organise a courier pickup. Worked very well. If you're interested it may be worth asking the vendor if they are happy to do that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:33:44 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »
Tx, which courier did you use? :)

Boxes is mostly the issue, they will collect but only if boxed and not everybody wants to box a bike.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:33:56 pm by Danneaux »

honesty

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »
I cant remember which carrier they used, sorry. I have a feeling it was a small man in a van unit rather than one of the big boys though.

Its why I got away with just wrapping the item in black bags and taping them together, rather than boxing it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:34:07 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:26:32 pm »
Np, tx :)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:34:24 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »
Hi Jawine!

I hope you and your little guy can get a tandem; they are just ideal for riding together.

The one I got was used at time of purchase, and it has worked out very well. For a very long time, I watched the annual tandem races put on here in Eugene by Burley Design Cooperative when they were a force in that part of the industry (they have since gone bust and reorganized, concentrating on just trailers in a new headquarters in a new location). Oh, a tandem looked like a wonderful thing from afar (and later proved to be just that), but there's no way I could afford one, so I started haunting the newspaper classifieds (pre-Internet and pre-eBay days). Finally, I found a couple that looked promising. The first one was just shot, found leaning against the outside of a barn. No paint, torn saddles, rust, drivetrain worn beyond salvage...no. The second one sounded better, so I kept leaving phone messages for the seller on the holiday weekend and received a nice call-back on Monday, the seller saying, "You're not the first, but you're the most persistent, so you must really be serious!"

I was.

Turned out the seller was an engineer whose had just transferred here and downsized to a condo. There was no room for the Big Bike and it lived in the laundry room, where the ozone from the clothes dryer was busily rotting the tires. They hated to see it die a prolonged death from disuse (their two sons were grown and about to start college), so they put it up for sale at USD$600 -- a bit less than half the price of new at the time. It was a Rock 'n' Roll model, with 26" knobbly tires and straight 'bars, and I converted it to a touring tandem with drops, mudguards, racks, and road slicks. The sellers were really big people who had successfully ridden the bike in a couple Seattle-to-Portland rides (200mi/322km), so I had no worries about it handling another rider and panniers. The bike needed a respray after regular transport in a pickup truck bed, so I did that, applied new transfers, and I decided to add a few braze-ons and relocate the Arai drum brake torque-reaction arm, and braze-up a brake booster and adjustable stoker stem while I was at it. It's looked fresh ever since, and I've never regretted the purchase (see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4523.0;attach=1997 ...and... http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4523.0;attach=2001 ). I've ridden it alone 260km in hilly country a number of times and found it made decent tourer for one. If you choose the size carefully, the rear compartment can grow along with your little one (adjustable stoker stems do wonders, as do long seatposts), and if he eventually is taller, you can swap places on the bike and still use it. Lots of fun, and pretty easy to sell-on if it comes to that.

The nicest thing is being able to converse easily, to see the same things, and to reach the top and bottom of hills together. It is a fantastic equalizer for people if different abilities, and a strong rider can still get a great workout without killing a weaker partner. Riders soon get a feel for when to apply power or pause, and riding partnerships form quickly and successfully through the tension of the timing chain -- you can feel right away when to add power or back off. The Rear Admiral will always outrank the Captain, so it pays to keep them happy by allowing extra clearance when passing bollards, calling out (and avoiding!) potholes (a cry of "Post" give the back-seater a chance to unweight the saddle by standing in time to avoid the shock of an unseen bump), and generally remembering the folks behind can't very well see what's ahead, so it is wise to avoid surprises (and truly excessive speed unless agreed-upon first).

Yeah, if you can find one, I think a tandem would be just about ideal for you and a little(r) one, Jawine! You might shoot an inquiry to Lisa Parsons at Thorn to see if she has any suggestions or might know of a used tandem up your way. She rides with her son, and in the brochure photos, they're having a wonderful time together! Best of luck in your quest to find one. Have you contacted any local clubs to see if a member might be interested in selling? When I was searching, I put out feelers everywhere. As it happened, I found mine in an ad, but lots of people knew to keep me in mind, and that didn't hurt. Sometimes the ideal used bike is right around the corner, and you may not even have to deal with shipping; I rode mine home from the seller's, just over 6km away!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:34:35 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:25:06 pm »
Hi Dan :)

I asked the local cycling group, the issue is really that I don't know if he wants to sit on it or not...  so until I find a local one I can try with him I won't know if it's worth the money for kid cranks (he's just 3.5) and time (as there are few on sale, some of them don't have very good brakes, due to being well, old and I would need decent brakes as there's some hills here)

Keeping an eye out anyway...we shall see. Alternative is kids trailer, and do away with the old and crappy beater bike as he's getting too heavy soon. But an 8 mile trip still too much for him...

Alternatively there's a tow solution to tie his bike to the XTC but it's £250 and for that you or a bit more you can get yourself a whole tandem if patient.

Tx for the tips! :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:34:46 pm by Danneaux »

jimmer

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:55:00 pm »
Dear Jawine,

I use a Trail Gator with our 4 year old daughter's pink Barbie bike. A hand-me-down from her cousin. I'm doing all I can to get across the idea that she should reject pneumatic plastic representations of a regressive concept of femininity. I've yet to persuade her to let me paint it Proletarian Red or "The Colour Of My True Love's Heart" Black. She pedals when reminded, otherwise she's a useful strength training aid. Occasionally I hear, and even less frequently acknowledge, a plaintive plea to go slower.

A great bit of kit. The bike can be decoupled when they want to ride independently and rehitched when they need dragging away from the swings.  

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php?xProd=7507&xSource=Adwords&gclid=CIevidrul7ICFQfMtAodgFAAJQ

Yours, James

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:34:32 pm by jimmer »

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
Hi James,

My wee man has a "Cars" bike...not sure it's better than Barbie :P
Ow dear, even the Trail Gator comes in pink/blue.

It's a 10 mile trip to his dad's therein lies the problem...bear in mind I have to go on the roads on some parts (cycle lane facilities here are ****) and therefore a trailer/tandem might be more suitable for that. Maybe...no matter what you do you seem to annoy somebody in a car behind you.

I heard of somebody using a Trail Gator at the cycle group and he didn't like it so much as it affected steering.
But it IS definitely good value and might be suitable for short trips, museum and town so will probably get one :)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:35:09 pm by Danneaux »

jimmer

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »
Dear Jawine,

Propably time to start a new child cycling thread but I'll plough on and wait to be moderated.

I tend to use pavements, with great care and courtesy. People don't seem to mind, any ire is diffused by the heart meltingly cute little girl bouncing merrily (mostly) behind me. There is a rudimentary segregated cycle network running through Brum which helps on some journeys.

A twenty mile round trip may be a bit too much of an ask for the little chap's derriere so the trailer or rear seat option may be better. The drawback of both being that he'll be a passive towed mass contributing nothing more to progress than words of gentle encouragement.

Attaching to the seatpost, the Trail-Gator does affect steering but not too badly. It deadens the steering response in a predictably controllable way.

Your road presence may be greater than you think, unusual road users often catch the attention of drivers. A flag, blinkies, hi vis and reflectors will all help as will getting him to gesticulate wildly as you proceed.

Yours, James
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:35:21 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

Re: Cycling with kids: Tandems, trailers, trail-ers, or...?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:16:22 pm »
I tend to use pavements, with great care and courtesy. People don't seem to mind, any ire is diffused by the heart meltingly cute little girl bouncing merrily (mostly) behind me. There is a rudimentary segregated cycle network running through Brum which helps on some journeys.
###Here most people are OK if you cycle gently, but there's always the occasional "Get on the street" one.

The route to his dad's has a fantastic greenway but to get there you need to go either on quite a few kerbs (narrow in places) or a big road (no, just no, taxi drivers/white van man...)

A twenty mile round trip may be a bit too much of an ask for the little chap's derriere so the trailer or rear seat option may be better. The drawback of both being that he'll be a passive towed mass contributing nothing more to progress than words of gentle encouragement.
###"Me pedaling like mad" FASTER MAMA probably :)

It's really the safety aspect that gets me here, rather than weight and for that they invented gears anyway (triple set on the XTC woohoo!) If there were no *())£R$£R% drivers and potholes you could park a car in, that would help. But...

janeh

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:54:53 pm »
Hello,

We have a tag along which our 5 year old really likes. He was 4 1/2 when we first tried him on one. I bought as Islabikes rack mounted one on e bay but it was close enough to collect it so we were lucky. The seatpost mounted ones are ok though you feel the wobble less with the rack mounted ones.

bye

Jane

JWestland

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »
Exciting development a kid-on-the-front cargo tandem has become available here!

E-bay no good for used tandems as nobody ships them.

If wee man like is, that's the problem sorted if not Halfords trailer/trail gator.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 04:31:57 pm »
Hi Jawine!

I was looking at a child-tandem yesterday; small compartment up front and rear steering for the parent (and very yellow!): http://www.browncycles.com/tandems.htm  I like the "Before" shot on this page. The "After" isn't bad, either! WeeMan can pedal and help Mom when needed.

http://www.kidsandfamilycycles.co.uk/page33.html , the Dutch Onderwater:
Dutch for Jawine: http://www.onderwaterfiets.nl/
...and GoogleTranslated to English: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onderwaterfiets.nl%2F&act=url

WorkCycles also offer cargo-child variants as well:
http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/child-transport-bicycles
...including this one:
http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/child-transport-bicycles/workcycles-fr8-as-family-bike
A sort of mashup between a Dutch Oma bike, a cargo bike, and a semi-recumbent upright with a cargo deck fore and aft. Looks...heavy. Well, they all do, really. Shame they can't also be made of 853, isn't it?

This one comes close in terms of being lightish:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clevewheel/sets/72157630973539234/ It was commissioned by a near-neighbor of mine, who has decided to live a car-free lifestyle and wishes to carry cargo and/or her very large Portuguese Water Dog. I would prefer rod-link steering to cables and I'm not too sure I'd find the riding position comfortable, but she's a chiropractor and seems very happy with it. Not intended specifically for children, unless it is children-as-cargo, as with the bakfiets here: http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/tag/maxi-cosi/

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:51:36 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 11:54:16 am »
Ah that custom one is a beauty!

Circe also has good tandems for kids/cargo £1000 and up new.

Second hands are very hard to find over here, and e-bay UK won't ship generally. It's more a cash issue, if you have cash they're easy to get new in the UK.

So it's a German one with a 7 speed Sachs-Huret, I think I know which firm hope I can see it tomorrow and wee man likes it. No doubt a heavy beast of a thing, but then I grew up on old steel roadsters, a few KG  here or there...

(having said that I do always enjoy going on my fixie/thorn and giving it a bit of rip compared to the child carrying bike ;)