Author Topic: Living for three months with a Thorn Raven Tour  (Read 5222 times)

sctajc

Living for three months with a Thorn Raven Tour
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:08:17 am »
Here is our story. Be interested in comments.

Annette’s Bike:
Thorn Raven Tour frame in Cobalt Blue Pearl metallic
Rohloff 14 speed gear hub
Rohloff 21T rear gear sprocket (steel)
Thorn 110mm 50T, front reversible ring
SRAM 3/32 Inch PC890 Chain
Shimano Deore M590 Black V Brake Set
BLACK Thorn Flat Track Bars
Ergon GP1-L Anatomic Grips - Large - Black
SJSC Ergo Control Bar End Grip - Black
Accessory Bar T
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre - 26 x 1.35 Inch
Thorn rear carrier

Stephen’s also has:

Black frame
Schmidt SON 28 Dynamo Front Hub
Tout Terrain The Plug II - Hub Dynamo Powered Charging Device
Thorn front carrier

We picked up our bikes from Thorn in early April 2012 after ordering them online. We spent a lot of time deciding on what we wanted without having much experience. We spent a few hours in SJS Cycles the home of Thorn putting bits on and adjusting; then rode off for three months and 3,200km . We had no problems, not even a flat tyre so didn’t use the bike pump. The only adjustment required was to the brake cables. On arriving home and checking out the bikes we ascertain that we need to change the brake pads soon and tighten the chains. Also the first Rohloff oil change is required after another 2,000 km. This should not be difficult as there is a specific kit and videos and instructions to show how it is done.

The first six weeks were very wet and cold. There was frost on the seats on the morning after our first night. We were moaning but the bikes were very comfortable and got on with the job. Very few sore bits on us. They spent most of the next three months in the rain but a rag with a bit of water made them look new again. The brakes were very powerful even when fully loaded, and the handling at 5 km/h or 45 km/h is all you could wish for. They were not the cheapest bikes so maybe you get what you pay for. Tell you in twenty years times as that is how long we expect them to last for. That could be after riding more than 200,000km.   
Using the Rohloff 14 speed gear hub:

Overall we prefer the Rohloff over a derailleur but there are differences to be aware of. More of a difference in technique and personal riding preferences. If I ever wanted a very light road racing bike I would go for a derailleur system as a derailleur is lighter (about 200g to 250g) and if moving quickly it is slightly faster in the gear change. On the Rohloff you need to twist the gear changer through from 1 to 14. This is quick and easy to do, but with a derailleur you can skip gears. If you need to win road races above everything else in life, and are taking steroids, then go with a derailleur.

The Rohloff:
The number of gears is 14 and the range (low to high) is what is normal with derailleurs.
Mechanical efficiency is the same for Rohloff and derailleurs.
Gear range is 526%. Very similar to normal 27 speed Derailleurs.
Each gear increase is 13.6%.
Feels a bit like the old crash gearboxes  with no synch. Need to have no weight on the pedals when changing gear.
Can change gear while standing still.
There is a noise in the lower gear range (1 to 7). It is not loud but you always hear it.
Annette’s Avanti Blade 3 ranges from 16.8 to 99.3. Stephen’s Avanti Blade ranges from 22 to 115. For the Thorns we both choose the 50 chainring/21t sprocket combination to achieve 17.3in to 90.8in. This can easily be changed to personal requirements.
By changing the front sprocket and rear chain ring you can choose a lower or higher range of gears. We choose very low and can still ride at 5 km/hour in gear 1. If not in boy-racer mode I change into gear 14 somewhere between 25 km/h and 30 km/h then run out of peddle just above 40 km/h. 
I change gear when the pedals are in the top/bottom position. This is when you naturally have less weight on the pedals. I stop pedaling for a split second, change gear, then power on. When changing from 8 to 7 I stop for two split seconds. The better you can coordinate your feet and hands,the shorter the split second which is very short anyway.
Requires absolutely no maintenance except for an oil change every 5,000km (which some don’t bother with). May require the very first oil change earlier if noisy or not as smooth. Never need (and can’t) service or make adjustments.Obviously cables, sprocket and chain will need replacing like with a derailleur.
Sprocket can be reversed when worn.
Some have now done 150,000 km.
Very very few have ever given problems. The only problem I know off seems to happen in the first few hundred kilometers and once repaired doesn’t happen again.
Will not get damaged if bike is dropped or with transporting (especially in planes).
Chain will last much longer as no side twist.
Need to change through the whole range (1 to 14) when changing gear.
Wish the gear changer numbered 1 to 14 was in reverse direction. It is the opposite of a  ‘motorcycle’ gear change.
Wish the gear changer grip was a bit more grippy. Only important when very wet and have full gloves on.
Like how the gear changer is always ‘there’. Don’t need to look down to find it. Derailleurs levers are also easy to find but Rohloff easier especially with full gloves on.

Frame Etc
Can ride all day and bike feels comfortable.
Never have to ‘shake hands’ for relief like on Blade.
Don’t often change position on the straight handle bars.
Occasionally relieve bum by standing on peddles, but not very often.

Brakes
Initially considered disc with hydraulics for performance reasons but with:
Maintenance being another learning curve.
Parts harder to get.
Possibility of disc damage with transportation etc.
Wheel strength and some other compromises (according to Thorn).
decided to go with Shimano Deore M590 v-brakes. They certainly had enough braking power when fully loaded and didn’t fade. Also had good enough feel and were easy to maintain. Pleased with the decision we made. Discs will obviously have better braking but braking is not an issue.

Schmidt SON 28 Dynamo Front Hub and Tout Terrain The Plug II
This drives the front light and a USB port for charging phones etc. Only charges if there is something to charge and I cannot feel any drag. It does keep everything charged. I was a bit concerned with how it would handle all the wet weather. There is a slight bit of rust inside the USB which should come off with some alcohol but have not done that yet. 

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Living for three months with a Thorn Raven Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:13 am »
Thanks for the report!

Where were you riding, geographically and on what sorts of surfaces?  Were you carrying full camping equipment or what? Which saddles did you select for your bikes?

Would love any photos!

Thanks again!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:41 am »
Thanks for the report!

Where were you riding, geographically and on what sorts of surfaces?  Were you carrying full camping equipment or what? Which saddles did you select for your bikes?

Would love any photos!

Thanks again!

Me too.
Where where you riding?
Do you have a trip blog?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

sctajc

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:30:16 am »
We rode from Bridgwater up the Welsh/English boarder to Liverpool, across to Manchester, down to Nottingham, Oxford, Worthing,  Dover, Dunkirk, Brugge, Amsterdam, then down the Rhine to Ahr River to Blankenheim, cross country south to Mosel River and back to Rhine, down to Heidelberg then back to Mainz where we finished. Most of the time in the UK were on minor roads and old railways etc.In Europe were mostly on cycle tracks. A little bit of gravel but mostly sealed or very compact surface. It was very wet for the whole trip. The last two weeks were warm. The rest was cold! We intended to tent so had full camping gear with us. Because of the rain spent only spent half the nights in the tent. The tent floor became moldy as we could never get it property dry. It is a good quality tent. The self inflating beds and the camera also died. They are being replaced by warranty. We decided on the standard Thorn saddles. Were tempered with the leather option but not to sure if our bottoms would approve. They would have possibly rotted away!

I am not to sure if I have a problem with the tout Terrain "the plug". Since being home it is not charging my HTC Desire HD smart phone. The battery on the phone is not what it was but still charges ok when charged on the mains. The green led is on if no load but flashes on then off for a few seconds (maybe stays on for a minute) when phone plugged in. Suggests the phone load is too much and happens even if the phone is turned off. It may be caused by rust/dirty connections on dynamo and in USB port. Going to clean them tomorrow with alcohol. Not to sure how to test otherwise.

We do have a day-by-day diary in Google Drive produced by my lovely wife which I can share with anyone. Just tried to attached photos that are smaller than 512kb but kept being told they were to large.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:32:45 am by sctajc »

jags

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:22 am »
have you a link to your blog thanks.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »
Just tried to attached photos that are smaller than 512kb but kept being told they were to large.

Thanks for the report! Constant rain is definitely a challenge for a leather saddle! I am still experimenting.... but I don't ride so much in the rain anyway.

I use http://www.photobucket.com to put photos on the web. Then to post them here I can just insert a link to photobucket. I haven't hit any size limits there!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:33 pm »
Stephen,

Thanks so much for the additional details regarding your wonderful trip. Terrific itinerary! So very much looking forward to seeing photos when you can manage it. Don't forget...a free image resizer will reduce your photo size considerably, and (provided you're using a PC) is available direct from Microsoft. See this post for more info: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4313.msg19992#msg19992

You're spot-on with suspecting corrosion may be responsible for reduced output from The Plug. A little 90% isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab does wonders for gently removing any surface corrosion from the terminals. I would also suggest using some silicone high-dielectric grease (sometimes sold as "spark plug boot release" in automotive parts stores) on the dynohub terminals to prevent corrosion and keep moisture away.

If you still have problems after doing the above, I would suggest trying another USB charging cord for your phone. I have found USB cords vary widely in their electrical resistance, usually due to poor connections where the fine wires are soldered to their teminals. There's really not much one can do except replace the cord, because the terminals are beneath the plastic covering the connectors. In continued use (and especially when touring, where there is constant vibration and inadvertant rougher-than-usual handling), the cords' lifespans are considerably reduced. If you can borrow a cord to ride with, you might well see a positive difference in charging rate. I've found it to be a huge determinant of final output from The Plug 2 -- and quite apart from the unit itself!

Hope this helps. Welcome to the Forum!

All the best,

Dan.

mike55

• Bike Shop
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:09:13 am »
It would be wonder if have few photos...

sctajc

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:39:52 am »
Thanks Dan,

The isopropyl alcohol worked wonders. Now seems to be charging properly. Still struggles with a flat phone battery if phone is turned on so possibly reaching the charger current limit. Still need to put on some silicone high-dielectric grease. A good idea.

What I would like to find out is if anyone has experience with a high capacity battery that can be charged via USB or the mains, and can also supply USB to a phone (etc) or two at the same time. Considering getting an Nexus 7 tablet which can charge at 10 watts.

And yes will get some photos soon. Our camera died and will get it back tomorrow. Possibly the wettest spring in 120 years was just too much for it. Do have some photos from when we were away but they don't so the bikes so well.

gover_1

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »
i have previously used a power gorilla for touring: https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powergorilla/ a truly great device capable of topping up my mobile a few times and my ipad atleast once between cherages.

I am thinking of swapping to the power monkey extreme https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeyextreme/ as it can be charged by usb and i will be getting a dyanmo shortly. This will hopefully keep all my devices charged whilst i trickle charge it from the dynamo. it is also very rugged and waterprrof

customer service and quality at powertraveller are absolutely superb

lancer17

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:31 am »
Thanks Dan,

The isopropyl alcohol worked wonders. Now seems to be charging properly. Still struggles with a flat phone battery if phone is turned on so possibly reaching the charger current limit. Still need to put on some silicone high-dielectric grease. A good idea.

What I would like to find out is if anyone has experience with a high capacity battery that can be charged via USB or the mains, and can also supply USB to a phone (etc) or two at the same time. Considering getting an Nexus 7 tablet which can charge at 10 watts.

And yes will get some photos soon. Our camera died and will get it back tomorrow. Possibly the wettest spring in 120 years was just too much for it. Do have some photos from when we were away but they don't so the bikes so well.

You could improve the charging situation by using a battery in-line as it will smooth out any current issues. Some so called smart phones  are very dumb when it comes to charging (iphone and Nokia97 come to mind) they require a set of pull up resistors to enabling of charging hence your possible problems, you will find an in-line battery will solve this in most cases.
I built my first charger system and it worked well but have since changed to the Ewerk which is much neater and gives the ability to charge up to 13v 1.3 amps and not just being stuck with USB and which provides power for anything you would want to carry IMHO.
You can pick up cheap phone usb battery back ups on Ebay that will charge your phone twice on a single charge @ around 5500mAh and are about the same weight and size of your phone and cost less than £15, great for when you are off the grid not riding and still want so power, very light and versatile

have a great trip