Author Topic: Wheels, Wheels, Wheels, Wheels Spam & Wheels  (Read 8658 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Wheels, Wheels, Wheels, Wheels Spam & Wheels
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:46 am »
Admitedly this (SON dynohub) is a very refined element in the heirarchy of needs! Andre I'm suprised you didn't see it from this angle.

LOL. Nah, I'm not a fashion victim. I match the product to the rational need, which for 99% of riders throws up the answer "Deore!"

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:42:09 am by Hobbes »

il padrone

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:51 am »
Hi Mark
welcome to the forum.
Have you (or anybody else) seen this new player on the hub dynamo market?  http://www.sp-dynamo.com/
They look very interesting indeed and may give Schmidt and Shimano a run for their money

And there are also Supernova's two new hubs, the Infinity 8 and Infinity S, which seem very similar in concepts and even design to the sp-dynamos.

gover_1

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 09:26:45 am »
yes, my personal theory is that that Supernova dyanmos are rebadged sp dynamos, the SP dynamo looks interesting, more from the point of view of its claim to "come on stream" at low speeds, not so bothered about the ability to disengage it though

gover_1

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:45 am »
Dan, how are you fininding the tout terrain plug ii without having a buffer battery. I really like the simplicity and integration of the tout terrain but wish they had fitted a small buffer battery in there as well. I am having thoughts of taking one of these https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeyclassicV2/  attaching it to a short usb cord, putting some old inner tube over the switch so that it is protected but still useable and then wrapping the whole thing with self galvanising tape to waterproof it. Hopefully this will have the affect of producing effectively a usb cable with an inline buffer. Any thoughts

il padrone

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:14 am »
I am having thoughts of taking one of these https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeyclassicV2/  attaching it to a short usb cord, putting some old inner tube over the switch so that it is protected but still useable and then wrapping the whole thing with self galvanising tape to waterproof it. Hopefully this will have the affect of producing effectively a usb cable with an inline buffer. Any thoughts

I wouldn't do that! The battery will produce some heat when charging. Taping it all up may tamper with the cooling rate and, especially with lithium battery, I wouldn't fancy the chances of producing a corded bomb  :o

gover_1

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:19 am »
hmm, good point, will go back to the drawing board

gover_1

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:33:20 pm »
Ok well the order is places: xt rear hub, Schimano n72 front hub. Rigida Sputnik CSS rims. The Rims are out of stock and not due in until September, that doesn't bother me at all though i do have my suspicions that they are going to struggle to source any. I really hope that the rarity of these rims is not a reflection of these going out of production as they really do seem to be exactly what i am after.

jags

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 05:24:42 pm »
yeah a long time to wait for them to tell you sorry the rim is no longer available just saying ::)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 05:42:03 pm »
Congratulations, Mark; the wheels sound a treat and I think you'll be very happy with them. The Sputnik is a nice, nice rim. I just wish it were more widely and reasily available.

As for the buffer battery with The Plug...I've started a new topic devoted to buffer batteries here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4439.0

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 05:44:36 pm »
Very likely they won't be Rigida rims when they come back in stock. Rigida changed its name to Ryde.

gover_1

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 05:51:52 pm »
We will see, no hurry. Sputniks are plentiful in the UK just not in CSS, if they are out of stock i will upgrade to Schmidt and go for non CSS. Fingers crossed 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »
Very likely they won't be Rigida rims when they come back in stock. Rigida changed its name to Ryde.

Yep.

See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3571.msg16198#msg16198

Best,

Dan.