Author Topic: Your off-bike tour-training routines  (Read 1861 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Your off-bike tour-training routines
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »
Hi All,

Here at Danneaux Estates and Research Labs, it became evident the Tent-Testing Facility was simply not level enough after removing a large tree and grinding the stump. I hand-leveled and reseeded the area twice and watered it faithfully, but the ground was just not quite flat enough for accurate testing of tents, sleeping pads, and bags, so a little terra-forming was in order.

At the moment, I can think of no better off-bike tour-training routine than repeatedly hauling a 150kg drum of water over wet sod. The over-running roller is especially good for loosening tight achilles tendons and hamstring muscles.

I'm guessing a few of you have your own off-bike or off-season training routines that would put mine to shame. Snow shoveling? Making kindling and toothpicks from whole trees using only a hatchet? Digging septic tank drain fields? Been there myself. Ah, these aren't home-maintenance and DIY things...it's all tour-training! We're Proud Thornies and take every possible opportunity to increase our fitness...right?

Right?

<crickets>

Looking forward to seeing whatcha do off-bike to get and stay in shape.

Best,

Dan (those aren't blisters...nah, they're friction-reducers!)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:06:26 pm by Danneaux »

Relayer

Re: Your off-bike tour-training routines
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:48 am »
Mrs Relayer and I play lawn bowls.  This keeps me in Mrs Relayer's good books, the social loop, and at the same time a chance to do some tour-training.

My tour-training involves supping beer in the clubhouse and also by the bowling green when the sun is shining.  This will get me fitter for supping beer on my inaugural 'credit card tour' and the alfresco supping is preparation for any future progression to a wild camping tour.  

Preparation for wild camping tour entails looking into developing a method for packing beer on tour Thorn Forum style, perhaps :-

a trailer option on the RST incorporating the following
refrigeration powered by a Tout Terrain Plug 2,
an inbuilt profile design multiple bottle/tinnie rack,
n'lock security modified to dislocate the fridge doorhandle,
OR, simply tote a wee barrel with the uber Rennkompressor to pump it out - after a couple of pints you won't be able to tell if the pump's unstable or not  ;),
pedelec motor on the trailer to ease toting of above kit.

As our strine friends would say  "Ripio cobber!!".

So, while Mrs Relayer is chatting with her friends I am quietly training and planning.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:30:49 am by Relayer »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Your off-bike tour-training routines
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:37:23 pm »
I play lawn bowls...a chance to do some tour-training.
...And a quick rinse of the dishes!
My tour-training involves supping beer in the clubhouse and also by the bowling green when the sun is shining.
Mmm-hmm; cross-training is always good.
Preparation for wild camping tour entails looking into developing a method for packing beer on tour Thorn Forum style, perhaps :-...refrigeration powered by a Tout Terrain Plug 2
If the trailer is equipped with its own Schmidt dynohub, your beer will cool without affecting on-bike charging and lighting. Just think of the possibilities! Here's one: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/96b3/ *I'm thinking too small-scale, aren't I? There must be a keg version available...
So, while Mrs Relayer is chatting with her friends I am quietly training and planning.
"Never Miss An Opportunity!" That motto works for me. And you!

Still laughing, what fun! Thanks for sharing your off-bike training routine...

All the best,

Dan.

*Actually owned one for awhile. It doesn't achieve "cold"; "cool" is the best it can do...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:39:20 pm by Danneaux »