Author Topic: map holder  (Read 5082 times)

strictnaturist

map holder
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »
Hi team, heading off with the Sherpa at the start of June for a French North coast to South coast,camping all the way down. I will need some kind of map holder to navigate with my way down these wee back roads, taking the appropriate sheets from a French road atlas at 1:200.000 scale. Could anyone recommend a bar - map holder or suitable system? Had a peek at the Ortlieb bar bag in Edinburgh Bike Coop  and thought the map case was a bit small. I have four Ortliebs as the set up, so could survive without a bar bag.
Any thoughts on which would suit?
cheers, Strictnaturist

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: map holder
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:55:11 pm »
I like the map holder on my Carradice bar bag, but sure that is overkill if all you want is the map holder.

Here is one nifty-looking device:

http://www.rei.com/product/637969/bar-map-otg

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:46:14 am »
If I may offer a kindly suggestion borne of sad experience:

Avoid the type of standalone map holder that clamps onto handlebars just left of the stem. I used one of those on my 2008 tour of Benelux and the winds along the North Sea kept flipping it upward like a sail, no matter how I tightened the clamp. When I got home, I found it had neatly ground off all the engraving on that side of the 'bar sleeve. That was a sad day, but too late to do anything about.

I'm sorry I don't have a brand-name to offer, but the single clamp on left, knob to tighten were the key features, along with a black-backed clear plastic sleeve that slid over a black metal frame. Horrid little beast; with any luck they are no longer made.

All others (like the ones Jim suggested) should be fine; no worries.

Best of luck on what sounds like a fabulous tour ahead; may it be safe and fun all at once,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:47:45 am by Danneaux »

pdamm

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:47:06 am »
I have had success with using a diary / organizer system zip lock insert such as

http://www.amazon.com/Filofax-Personal-Agenda-Ziplock-Envelope/dp/B001BLJUEE

that I picked up from my local stationary store.  It is waterproof and secure.  The holes for the ring binder in the organiser are great places to put a long cable tie through. I cable tie each side to a pair of hose clamps that go around the handle bar.  The zip lock insert sits a few cm behind the handle bar.  I picked the hose clamps up from a near by hardware store, they look like these.

http://www.amazon.com/TWO-LITTLE-FISHIES-INC-Plastic/dp/B00025674Q/ref=pd_sbs_lg_1

As you can see they are easy to remove and install by hand.  One hose clamp goes on each side of the stem.  They don’t need to be tight to work. 

To be complete, I attach the long cable tie firmly to the hose clamp (with another cable tie) so it doesn’t fall off the hose clamp.  In all there are 4 cable ties involved, 2 on each side.  You could also use string to tie the zip lock insert to the hose clamps.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:42:04 am »
My, what a nice job you've done on that map case, Peter -- really first-class all the way!

I love well-made user-created parts and components and adaptations.

A tip o' my hat to you, Sir!

Any chance we could see a photo or two of yours installed?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:43:45 am by Danneaux »

strictnaturist

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »
cheers everyone for your thoughts, will look in to suitable case that won't lift me in to the air when going too fast down these hills with the wind behind me  :D

pdamm

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:46 am »
Dan

Here are a couple of pics.  I can’t claim credit for the design as I copied it off another guy I have ridden with on occasion.  I agree it is a great solution to the problem of getting a cheap map holder together.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:07 am »
Oh!

Thanks very much for the photo, Peter; this really shows the map case fully realized. You may not have "invented" it, but your execution is very well done, and this will help a lot of people, I am sure.

In some applications, I can see it working i tandem with a handlebar bag map carrier to give a "double-tall" view with two maps displayed at once, much as when a person unsnaps and fully opens the Ortlieb map case. Or...an guidebook opened to a detailed view in one map case, and an overview map in the other.

It surely looks good!

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:40 am »
A different, somewhat simpler approach to map-holding by Pletscher. This one would be used with your map in a protective plastic sleeve.

And another in a similar vein, by Klickfix

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:22:59 am by il padrone »

strictnaturist

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:47 pm »
That Klickfix one looks the dab, thanks for that