Author Topic: Thorn Raven Sport Tour can't take my Burley  (Read 3552 times)

sireatalot

Thorn Raven Sport Tour can't take my Burley
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:55:41 pm »
Couldn't find the correct board for this, so chose this one...

I'm trying to fit a Burley to my Thorn Raven Sport Tour, the Rohloff cable is mushed by the hitch.

I'll attach pictures if I can manage it...

Any ideas if I am fitting this incorrectly? It fits my other bike, but that has Shimano hub gears.
Are they any conversion kits of DIY jobs people have done for this?
I'd hate to have to use the Shimano geared bike.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:57:41 pm by sireatalot »

E-wan

Re: Thorn Raven Sport Tour can't take my Burley
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »
you may be stuck with the trailer you have but I find that a Croozer trailer hitch will fit thorn dropouts

alternativley, some rholoff equiped bikes with an internal geer mech such as route the cables along the down tube and seat stays. Don't know if it would be possible to adapt the raven to do this but would probably look rather messy.

Ewan

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »
Either route cables along down tube and chainstay as mentioned above, using rohloff cable clips and chainstay cable guide or convert to an external gear mech which is not cheap, although you can probably get the parts cheaper than they are in those links to SJSC.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:33:23 pm »
Or...

You could fit an alternative Burley trailer hitch and I think you'd be all set:
http://www.biketrailershop.com/burley-trailer-forged-hitch-for-quick-release-and-solid-axle-p-1251.html

I was one of Burley's very first customers in the late 1970s when it was still a cooperative of families and family-friends down in Cottage Grove, OR, not too far from my home. The kids who crawled between the treadles of their mothers' sewing machines later grew up to help run the company, and I eventually ended up buying one of their tandem bicycles. Alas, the economy took a downturn and there were a number of problems that rendered the company insolvent. A financial rescue was organized, but the current company is now based in Portland, has far fewer employees, is no longer a cooperative, and many of their products are made offshore. Their large product line has shrunk down to trailers only, which still have a very good reputation.

I think the alternative hitch will go far toward solving your problem; hope so!

Best,

Dan.

sireatalot

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:39 pm »
Thanks for replies

I would be keen on an external box for the Rohloff, but like you say, expensive, but then I had to replace those darn bayonet connectors last winter and they aren't cheap either. At least my gears are always indexed :)

The axle hitch looks promising, I'll see if I can track down a UK stockist. I've got a little while as the future passenger isn't old enough yet.

Paul S

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:35 am »
Thanks for replies

I would be keen on an external box for the Rohloff,

I am sure I have red it somewhere in their bu-mph, don't Thorn consider the EX BOX a downgrade for the Raven Tour and RST? Something to do with the angles allowing it to fill up with water. I THINK :-\

Cheers,

Paul.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

E-wan

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:10:59 am »
I've got a little while as the future passenger isn't old enough yet.

I've had my baby in a triler form about 9 months, there are a variety of suports you can get to help put younger babies in bike trailers.

you may be intrested in lookig at

http://www.fairweathercycles.co.uk/child-bike-trailers/baby-supporters.html

sireatalot

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:14:49 pm »
Thanks for the link. The baby snuggler from Burley isn't for use when cycling otherwise I'd buy that, but anyway I think I've decided to wait until baby is bigger and can hold head well enough, probably 9 months, we'll see how it goes. Main reason is the fear!

Anyway, looking forward to it as I might stand a chance of getting the wife back on a bike when we go out, can't wait for that.

I've done that before with the Thorn PDFs, impossible to find the same snippet I once read, maybe I imagined it :)