Author Topic: eBay: Audax  (Read 2689 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
eBay: Audax
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:49:36 am »
Not mine.
The beautiful Audax pictured with the auction copy is *not* the one for sale!?! Unusual. The seller says his bike has a 54cm seat tube ~ medium frame (Height of 5'6"-5'9") and with the seat extended the length from the seat to crank is 63cm and so would fit someone who is 6'3" (his height). Handlebars to seatpost is 50cm. Only description of his is it has a few scuffs and marks as predicted from a bike which has had use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Audax-/270959742133?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f16758cb5

rualexander

Re: eBay: Audax
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:32:54 am »
Too many inaccuracies in the description, I would be very wary of bidding on this auction.
63cm from seat to crank would be too short for someone 6'3" i would say.
50cm from handlebars to seatpost? That can't be right.
The rest of the description doesn't sound right either.

kt

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:09 pm »
Agree with Rualexander. Suspicion raised as photo as well is not of the actual bike.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:07:49 pm »
<nods> Yeah, I was concerned about posting this listing for these very same reasons. Then, I thought if it were brought to the light of day, Forum members would be aware it wasn't quite the usual listing. That's why the note "*not* the one for sale!?! Unusual".

No, I wouldn't bid, either -- there's no description of the actual bike, as noted!  Whaaaat?!?  ???

It will be interesting to see if it receives any bids. In the software world, this would amount to "vaporware".

A heartily agree -- I think the bike (if it exists) is way too small for a large buyer. It appears the seller is basing his estimates on how high the seatpost *can* be raised. If it exists, it sounds to me like he tired of riding while doing a handstand.  :-\ Good job, fellows; your warnings and cautions are sound and worth heeding for any prospective bidder on this auction.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:06:39 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »
With a 1day, 18hrs to go, the bike with a picture not of it and no real description and inaccurate sizing has received 13 bids.

Unbelievable.

There's now a second photo (reversed) of another Audax, but it still isn't clear that's the bike in question.

Even more unbelievable it is getting bids.

This has been a fun one to follow, but no, I wouldn't bid on it. There's really <nothing solid> there...

Best,

Dan.

sebastion

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »
Hi,
Wll spotted folks!
I have just registered with this forum to advise you that this bike is defo a bad-un. It was stolen in the seller's area 2 weeks ago from a mate of mine and we are already aware of this listing. The police are already involved so please do not respond to the listing in any way because we do not want to alert the scrote.  ;)

Cheers.

Kuba

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »
Hi,
Wll spotted folks!
I have just registered with this forum to advise you that this bike is defo a bad-un. It was stolen in the seller's area 2 weeks ago from a mate of mine and we are already aware of this listing. The police are already involved so please do not respond to the listing in any way because we do not want to alert the scrote.  ;)

Cheers.

Whoever is selling this has already removed the listing, what a shame. Best of luck to your friend and hope he recovers the bike regardless.

By the way, I wonder what is the best way of dealing with dodgy eBay listings for evidently stolen bikes. They are not difficult to spot. No photo as their camera is supposedly broken, but the ad is posted with an iPad? Seller refuses to provide any info on the sizing and components? No local pick-up option for a bicycle? Way too dodgy to be genuine. But then bringing such a listing to everyone's attention on a public forum may easily alert the thief, while pretty much the only chance one has to recover their stolen bike is to win the auction and then arrange a courier (preferably a police van) to pick up the bike along with the seller.

So maybe we should not discuss such listings publicly and just hope the unfortunate, lawful owners are looking for their bikes on eBay/Gumtree? Or maybe the forum members could alert the admin, who in turn would send a private message to all members, rather than posting on the board, where anybody can see it?

jags

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »
wow sure hope you nail this guy i hate bike thieves

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:47:47 pm »
So maybe we should not discuss such listings publicly and just hope the unfortunate, lawful owners are looking for their bikes on eBay/Gumtree? Or maybe the forum members could alert the admin, who in turn would send a private message to all members, rather than posting on the board, where anybody can see it?
Hi Kuba,

A good thought, Kuba, and it pretty well describes half my dilemma in posting the listing to begin with.

On the one hand, the listing was so sketchy I was inclined to let it pass without calling notice to it.

On the other, it just "smelled" wrong, and I hoped posting it might have some good result, figuring where it was suspicious, perhaps it would serve a public service in two ways:

1) It might prevent the more naive  from bidding (though it didn't stop 13 people from doing so!). And, too, there are many who would like to pick up a second Thorn having already bought a first, or who cannot afford a new one right away and who view a used Thorn as a stepping-stone to a new one setup as they would wish.

2) If it was stolen, perhaps putting it on the Forum would alert Thorn-aware Forum members of the possibility something was wrong (It did; Rual and KT were right on it, agreeing something was wrong). I did mention in my original post it was "unusual" and the picture definitely did not match...anything, and the description was nonexistent). Clueless people do put up auction listings on eBay, and I had nothing solid where I could accuse the seller of wrongdoing. I did send a notice to eBay.uk regarding the suspicious nature of the listing.

At least this way, more "eyes" will be open and aware of the stolen bike and can, perhaps spot it in the area.

Like jags, I hate bike thieves with a passion, and so very much hope your friend can recover it, Sebastion. You were very thoughtful to register so you could tell us of the problem; thanks! Please let us know if the bike is recovered, it would be wonderful if it can be returned to its rightful owner.

All the best,

Dan.

Kuba

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:13:39 pm »
Yes Dan, it's really difficult to say which strategy is better - to publicise the auction or not.

The bottom line is that if you have your bike stolen, keep checking eBay and the like. Quite a few bikes were recovered like this, including a Thorn Raven in Bristol (there's a thread on it somewhere on the Forum).

In the end though, there is only one good solution to deal with the thieves: always ask for the original proof of purchase, and never buy from guys who sell a medium frame despite they are 6'3'' themselves. Given the lifetime warranty and price tag, I would not believe anyone who says they have no proof of purchase for a pricey Thorn they are selling (unless they can convince you otherwise, eg. by showing a lot of knowledge about the bike, or having spares that came with the bike and still have SJSC tags on them). I once bought a third-hand (!) XTC of eBay - got original invoice and contact detail for all previous owners!

There is only one reason why thieves steal bicycles - there are folks out there who will happily buy them.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »
Agreed, Kuba, one-hundred percent. Your tips and suggestions are worthwhile for us all to keep in mind. If everyone were as honest and careful, there would be little if any market for stolen bikes.

All the best,

Dan.