Author Topic: GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition -- looking for feedback  (Read 10326 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition -- looking for feedback
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:00 pm »
Hi All,

I have a chance to get a new GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition camera for about half price. I am thinking of doing so, as it is a good price and I could probably sell it and recover my money if it doesn't pan out. What I'm hoping for is some opinions from my esteemed Forum members, and from owners/users before I take the plunge.

Looking at the camera is occasioned by my desire to get better, more interesting tour videos. See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3925.0 Someone has done something similar with one of these cameras here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohB_ugmGDu4&feature=related ...and with one of these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1rlZWkF22Y&feature=related In truth, a loaded touring bike does not have as many camera mounting options as a bare bike (the load gets in the way), and I am a bit reluctant to mount one of my Leica-lensed video-still cameras at the end of a stick. For that matter, I have not yet figured how to secure the stick to a loaded Sherpa without causing possible paint or frame damage. It is not as easy as it first appears. That gets me pulled back to the GoPro, which is armored, light, and has a greater variety of mounting options.

The GoPro Hero 2 Outdoor Edition comes with a chest harness, head mount (strap), and helmet mount, with a few extra sticky pads to make something of your own. It is good there are so many included options, 'cos GoPro must surely make as much from selling mounts as it does cameras (the Dremel Moto-Tool business model...they could give-away the tool for what they make up in bit sales). There doesn't seem to be anything in the kit to attach the thing directly to a bicycle. That would require the handlebar/seatpost mount or the roll-cage mount at USD$23-33 extra. If I could get a tripod mount, I could fasten it to my swivel-ball head Rowi camera clamp and mini-tripod and be pretty well set. It will attach to the spacer at the front of my Thorn Low-Loader Mark V pannier racks.

The GoPro hero2 looks like a good supplement to my digital camera's HD video capability, with the bonus of being housed in a rugged, polycarbonate case. Ah, but therein lies the rub -- the very design has some problems:

1) The case is soft polycarbonate, and GoPro offer no carry case for the um, case. Yes, the camera is protected, but it is easy to acquire what amounts to a scratched lens if the case gets rubbed on something (the camera lens has to "see" through the case viewport). A new viewport is available separately at a reasonable cost, but still...it's going to stay "new" and clear only a comparatively short time, especially in windblown desert playa.

2) Unless I spend another USD$80, the thing has no way to see what I am taking or have taken: There is no LCD monitor unless I buy it separately and attach it. Without one, I have to wait till I get home to my computer to see what I got. Aiming depends on the forgiveness of the wide-angle lens and trying to aim the camera about 10 degrees down from horizontal to get a bit more road than sky.

3) Battery life looks pretty good (USB rechargeable!), and it can use up to a 32GB SD card...changing the batteries or card requires the case to be opened. Not a big deal if it is dry, but not so great if it is blowing dust or raining hard. Sounds like an in-tent operation if the weather is foul.

4) Some basic mounts -- like a tripod mount -- are available, but hard to come by. Here's a video of the chest mount in use on a bicycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvt2q5OzQE Kinda nausea-inducing when the rider stands to climb hills, not so bad otherwise. I'm of two minds wrt the elbows/arm framing the shot. It does identify and set a context, but it is also intrusive.

5) User reports criticize spotty sound. Apparently, there is an open-back or cage-like case available (extra cost!) that gives better sound quality at the cost of less camera protection. There is a reason why most outdoors videos have a music track and little native sound. The camera does accept an external mic, but that has to be powered and shielded from wind noise as well. If one uses a separate digital recorder, then you have to sync the sound and picture with a hand-clap or something, and that's going to scare any wildlife. No, I'm reconciled to having to go with the built-in sound and probably overlay a music sound track in editing.

6) The thing weighs about 5 ounces and is aerodynamic as a brick (shaped like one), compared to the competition (i.e. Contour, comparison test here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASESvnr18q0 A/B comparison here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdI46EQQBo&feature=related), which include several that look like streamlined bike headlights and are built on the lipstick-camera design of a basic tube. Unfortunately, those also require separate purchase of a waterproof case, and they tend to have more cryptic menu selection than the current GPH2.

7) There is no true zoom capability, but apparently the new GPH2HD model has a selectable wide- or super-wide aspect; I think it may be done in the firmware rather than optically, and am still checking out the particulars. The new model does have plain-English menus rather than cryptic stand-ins to remember. Unfortunately, they put the control panel on the front so you can get nifty pictures of yourself setting it up to use...it is pretty likely to happen, 'cos the camera defaults to still mode when turned-off and has to be put into video mode deliberately. It seems to take pretty poor still shots, so no, I can't leave the still-cam home and just take the GoPro. There is also the whole can't-monitor-what-I-shoot-unless-I-buy-an-LCD-back issue.

The GoPro wouldn't appeal to me as a photographer except for being a ruggedized vidcam with a wide variety of available mounts and reasonable battery life/card usage, even at a full 1080 resolution. I also like the time-lapse feature, though that could soon grow old.

I'm seduced by the videos on YouTube and at GoPro that were shot with these things, but wonder how useful it would be for me in documenting my tours (beyond my current video capability in my digicam). In truth, much of what I travel through is kind of bleak countryside to portray on video unless I stop, get off the bike, and make a real effort to pan around, catching myself and the bike for interest and add narration. To leave the thing mounted on, say, the front rack or my helmet...maybe not so useful? It weighs about 5oz/ 141g, and I would think it could make a helmet uncomfortable after awhile, and could be a Bad Thing to land on in the event of a fall.

Has anyone on the Forum tried a GoPro, and especially the new GoPro2 model for touring? If so, what did/do you think of it? General thoughts? A bargain is a bargain only if it...is.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
Re: GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition -- looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:41:58 pm »
A very quick reply on the move Dan.
Have you looked at a DriftHD. That is what I have.
Comes with bike mounts, helmet mounts, head mounts, built in screen, remote control.
Can get a litlle drybag for it with a lens window for less than $20.
Similar but different to the gopro.
Gopro seems to go down well with the watersports and Drift with the motorsports ,leaving both of them good for cycling of all types.
Will write more when time allows.
I'm waiting for a universal bicycle camera/tripod mount to be delivered as we speak.
Ebay Hong Kong special £2.95 delivered. Will last 5 minutes but will give me some ideas I'm sure.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »
Hi Richie,

Thanks so much for the reply; most welcome to hear from a DriftHD ( http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd-action-camera/ ) owner. It is one I have looked at briefly, but will look at much more closely now I now someone who has one and is pleased with it.

I love the built-in LCD monitor, and really can't understand why the GoPro Hero2 doesn't have one...it is something even the meanest, poorest snapshot digicam provides, so it would seem reasonable to also have on for in-field viewing on a vidcam. The first question in anyone's mind is "What?!? Y'mean you hafta wait till you get home to see whatcha got?!?", as in "What if you missed the shot and need to retake it?". A reasonable question.

Unfortunately, I can't get the 50% reduction on the Drift where I can the GoPro HD2. Still, as I mentioned earlier, a bargain isn't a bargain if it doesn't meet one's needs, and I do have some real doubts about the GoPro's design.

Yes! eBay cheapstuff is wonderful for seeing if something will work or can be adapted and -- surprisingly! -- sometimes turns out to be great quality. It is making possible some more comprehensive USB adaptations for my on-board Plug2/SON28 charging system.

Looking forward to hearing more when you have the time, Richie. Thanks again!

Best,

Dan.

mylesau

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:21 am »
Dan, I've been considering a GoProHD2 for some time.  Unfortunately they are expensive to buy in Australia and the shipping direct from GoPro to Australia is over-the-top.

If you can get it for 1/2 price, and are willing to pass on that saving, I'd be happy to take it off your hands if it doesn't work out for you.  So you get to try it, if you don't like it, I'll buy it.

Shoot me a message if this sounds okay to you.

Myles.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:29 am »
PM sent. Thanks, Myles.

For the benefit of others, I can detail the price would be half-off to me, thanks to stacked sales, gift certificates and membership dividends at REI ( http://www.rei.com ). Their usual price is USD$300. Until 15 April, it is on sale for 20% off (along with pretty much everything else in the store and online site), saving $60. I have $60 in REI co-op member dividends and another $30 I received when I signed up for an REI Visa card. Together, those cut the $300 price to $150, or half-off. Hopefully, news of the sale will help others (it is only available to REI co-op members, but a membership is inexpensive, worthwhile, and earns a 10% annual dividend, so it is a bit like a sale on regular price items, but cannot be accrued on sale-price items).

The sale ends 15 April, so I am trying to research the camera to determine if it meets my needs before that date. Any thoughts an info from users is most welcome, as are alternatives.

The GoPro cameras are outstandingly rugged and have a wealth of mounts available. They excel at what they do -- capturing outdoor activities in extreme conditions. Unfortunately, when viewed solely as video cameras, they are lacking a number of features compared to the average vidcam, lacking even a rudimentary LCD monitor (one can be purchased separately). I don't plan to immerse one, and I'm wondering if a ruggedized, all-weather vidcam might be a better, more versatile choice for my needs and for equivalent cost.

REI's other ruggedized outdoor vidcam offerings are here: http://www.rei.com/search?search=camera&scv_page_size=109&seq=1&hist=query%2Ccamera and include the Contour line of cameras that are aimed via a built-in laser sight (no LCD monitor on these, either).

Thoughts?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:15:09 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
I have a GoPro Hero 2. It's the Surf model (the Outdoor one was out of stock and they offered me a free chest mount with it). I also bought the bike mount which is quite useful - attaches to the handlebars securely, and also can be attached to the fork crown on my Nomad when I am using a handlebar bag (the handlebar position does not adequately clear the bar bag).

I really don't have a great problem with the lack of a viewfinder - my footage has always turned out excellent. Have not taken too much footage so far though, and I may eventually get the LCD back, and possibly the extra battery back. The chest mount gives really good views - it shows your handlebar and arms for a  reference point in the view and it is less subject to bumps, although the ultra wide-angle view of the Go Pro overcomes a lot of the vibrations of rough road riding.

My main problem so far is the outstandingly slow upload rates locally here with Telstra  >:(. By the time I get even halfway through attempting to upload to youtube it times out..... and a 5-10 minute video blew out my monthly allownce - even though it failed to upload  >:( >:(

No easy answer to this problem at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:40:07 am by il padrone »

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:29 pm »
The problem with REI (and a whole host of other US on-line stores) is they don't recognise much of the world outside USA and Canadia. Those that do ship to the non-Americas, charge a huge premium for shipping, that pretty much destroys the savings of buying in USA.  I blame it all on poor geography teaching in schools.

I have a short list of US on-line bike stores that do give good service to overseas.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »
Hi Pete,

Thank you; I very much appreciate your views and thoughts on the camera as a user -- very helpful to me.

Yes, the ultrawide-angle lens cures a lot of potential ails, and not only captures the action well, and minimizes aiming problems, it also reduces apparent vibration. I remember making an in-car tour of the small town where I was living at the time (video cameras weighed 8 pounds, were bulky, and I managed to trap one between the passenger seat and the headrest). It didn't work at all well unless the lens was set to the widest angle. Just too much vibration was captured otherwise.

You also make a very good point about uploads. The files have got to be huge, and unless one has a fast connection, they'll take forever to transfer. That's a good point to consider, and I would imagine cutting resolution a notch (say from 1080 to 720) might help a bit). Probably wouldn't make a great deal of difference on web presentations unless the viewing window was really big. Yes, I do see some discernible difference when I adjust the playback quality on YouTube, but not as much between the highest and next-highest setting as between those and what fall below (leaves suddenly replace a green haze on trees when the resolution increases).

I surely feel your pain and frustration with shipping rates overseas, Pete. I mailed an international package the other day, and the price was outrageous. As bad as that was, it couldn't compare to the outrageous rates charged by online retailers based here. I think overseas shipping has become a profit center for them. I recently spotted a sale on running shoes for a European friend and told him about them. He's attracted, but the retailer's shipping more than equals the cost savings from the sale, even with the exchange rate in his favor. Our solution? He'll buy them and ship them to my home. I'll then slap on an address sticker and take them to the post office and mail them out to him. He'll transfer the cost of reshipment to my bank account or to PayPal. The cost of domestic shipping and reshipment will be about half what the retailer would charge to ship direct. What's worse is, many US retailers don't even do overseas shipping; their shipping options include the US and Canada and nothing else.  It is terribly unfair, and amounts to geographic price-gouging. If I had more time and it didn't take so long, I'd do the receive-and-reship thing for others, but I've got too many irons in the fire to manage it.
I blame it all on poor geography teaching in schools...
Oh, Pete...as a former educator, I share your concern. America's education system is long-broken and getting worse. The result is reflected in many areas and the results are visible domestically and overseas.

Thanks again for your insights on the camera, Pete; helpful as always!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:14:25 pm by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »
I recently spotted a sale on running shoes for a European friend and told him about them. He's attracted, but the retailer's shipping more than equals the cost savings from the sale, even with the exchange rate in his favor. Our solution? He'll buy them and ship them to my home....

....If I had more time and it didn't take so long, I'd do the receive-and-reship thing for others, but I've got too many irons in the fire to manage it.
Actually, that reminds me. There  are a number of website services already operating that do just this thing for overseas buyers

http://www.usreship.com/
http://www.shipito.com/

There are apparently some concerns about local scams with such sites, mainly related to 'employment' offers, but I'd be prepared to give it a try at least once.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 07:12:13 pm »
Hi All!

Since we last spoke about the GoPro Hero 2, I have had second thoughts about passing it up. The attempted substitute -- a Samsung HMX-W300 -- did.not.work. in a bicycle application and the software is extremely buggy with lots of mosaic breakup and random green-screening in the final videos (see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3802.msg19052#msg19052 for a full explanation of its shortcomings).

REI to the rescue with a second-chance offering even better than he first:  A 20% reduction on the GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition bundled with the LCD monitor and a second set of replacement back-doors for the standard case to accommodate it. USD$299 with the included LCD BacPac vs USD$375 normally for this REI-exclusive bundle.

I figured they'd go quick, so I sat up till after midnight to place my order early in the first day of the sale (yes, the US East Coast is ahead of me by three hours, but if I had waited till morning for the Westies, there would be none left; sad past experience makes one wiser). Demand was so great it crashed REI's dividend authentication server so they have confirmed my order and will not charge my card until my USD$60 dividend is applied. I used the members-only 20% Off coupon to reduce the price of the accessory chest harness by USD$8, and also picked up a tripod-mount adapter and a 3-legged campstool priced at 25% off.

For those looking to get in on the same deal, the REI Anniversary Sale runs from May 18-20, and the sales e-flyer is here:
http://catalogs.rei.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.5.1.7&cm_mmc=Email_com_gm-_-AnniversarySale-_-051612-_-img_2daysale#
The camera bundle link is here:
http://www.rei.com/product/838118/gopro-hd-hero2-outdoor-edition-wide-angle-helmet-cam-with-lcd-bacpac
The campstool link is here (I chose green to match my tent; downgraded from past models but still not bad for USD$15):
http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool

I am truly sorry REI charges such high rates for foreign shipping, erasing most if not all the savings, as Pete correctly pointed out.

This week's flood of email sale offerings brought news that Cambria Bicycle Outfitters is offering GoPro Hero (not Hero2) camera at 20% off, but postage to Australia is still very high at USD$65. See:
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=&brandfilter=gopro&page=1&cat=helmets&utm_source=blue_hornet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051412_camfree
...and...
http://www.cambriabike.com/policies.asp#rates
Cambria also offer the Contour Roam and Plus HD models:
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=&brandfilter=contour+hd&page=1&cat=lights&utm_source=blue_hornet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051412_camfree

Besides GoPro and Contour, Drift also make some nice go-anywhere vidcams, with built-in monitors: http://driftinnovation.com/products/

I am hoping this bundle of the GoPro Hero2 will solve a number of my mounting problems. It comes with several sticky mounts (seemingly useless for my bicycle application but possibly still useful), a head-strap mount, a helmet-strap mount, and a sort of double-jointed mount that is the same as the "look-back" helmet front mount but without the part that attaches to the helmet (sticky mounts?). I haven't quite figured it out yet, but hope it can be modified to show me in the frame as I ride along, thus solving the problem of the missing high-angle vidcam mount I've been pining for.
See:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3925.0
...and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbHdXL5-Sk&feature=autoplay&list=PLAC59854AE64B93FB&playnext=2 ).
The tripod mount will fit my Rowi camera clamp (See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg19096#msg19096 ), and will allow me to mount the camera facing backwards on my Surly Nice Rack or on my seatpost or Brooks saddle rails. The chest mount is the leading candidate for forward views, and should the the most convenient and vibration-damped for general use in filming while riding.
See:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=_wUb4gnL8Vw
The LCD monitor is really critical for me to see if I really captured the desired angle and footage, instead of waiting till I get home when it would be too late. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyP-NtXmz9Q

Whew.

Getting there; an evaluation post after everything arrives next Friday.

As for Pete's slow upload issue...
My main problem so far is the outstandingly slow upload rates locally here with Telstra  Angry. By the time I get even halfway through attempting to upload to youtube it times out..... and a 5-10 minute video blew out my monthly allowance - even though it failed to upload...No easy answer to this problem at the moment.
...Sometimes the problem of a slow upload is complicated by slow receiving if the YouTube servers are taxed. I have sometimes had good luck helping clients in similar situations by uploading via ftp to a parking or cloud site with fast servers, then transloading from that data parking site to YouTube.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:50 pm »
So Dan does this mean we are all going to be treated to some excellent touring movies. ;)
in the very near future.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:44:47 pm »
does this mean we are all going to be treated to some excellent touring movies
Oh, I sure hope so, jags!

I figured by getting the vidcam now, I could work-out some of the bugs on my day rides and have everything ready to go for the Big Tour in June.

The only downside to all this (besides the expense -- ouch!) is the need to carry more stuff. It'll be alright...I'll have a camp-stool I can unfold and sit on when I'm too tired to pedal the lot uphill any longer. ;) What I really need is a winch. Those electric hub motors are starting to look pretty good right about now...

All the best,

Dan. (I'll show 'em when I take 'em...hopefully soon!)

stormdog

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:11:03 pm »
Hi Dan

Only just seen the post. I have the Go Pro HD2, have not used it for touring but have used it when Mountain Biking in all sorts of weather mounted on my helmet, fixing came with the camera. Found it to be a first class camera and really pleased I got it.

kind regards

John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:33 pm »
Found it to be a first class camera and really pleased I got it.
Thanks, John! hearing you're pleased with it as an owner really helps remove the "fear factor" from a substantial purchase like this. Pete is happy with his, as well. Fortunately, if everything goes pear-shaped, REI's generous return policy will save the day, but I save that only for "emergencies" when even careful pre-buy research fails to reveal a fatal flaw that only real-world testing can bring to light. I love stores with policies like this, and am very careful to not take unfair advantage of them.

So, good to hear another positive report; thanks! Looking forward to playing with it as soon as it comes, but I suppose the thing will have to be charged first before it'll work. Well, no matter. I somehow manage to wait for Santa Claus each year, and this can't be any harder!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:30:29 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 04:31:18 am »
Actually if I recall correctly, I think it came with the battery already fully charged.