Author Topic: Saddle bags... Carradice v Brooks v ?  (Read 6805 times)

neil_p

Saddle bags... Carradice v Brooks v ?
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:18:08 am »
Hi everyone.... I'm back from yet another trip in the wilderness (only metaphorically speaking... work and family commitments have kept me away from the forum for a while!)

I have regularly tried to use a bar bag, but have always ended up frustrated with the compromise (they seem to get in the way of everything else, affect handling when full, and just don't seem that useful).

I'm looking at getting a saddle bag instead, not one of the Ortlieb ones which I have tried and hate with a passion.... rather one of the larger Carradice or Brooks ones. Does anyone have a photo of their one in action, so I can get an idea of size/fit. Any recommendations or warnings?

Thanks all

Neil

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Saddle bags... Carradice v Brooks v ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:34 am »
Here's a photo of my bike with a Carradice SuperC saddlebag. I have a Champion Flyer saddle whose springs make a problem of using their bag loops, so I have an SQR mount for the bag instead.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:21:38 pm »
And here is a Carradice Junior

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:53:15 am »
Jim, is there a noticeable difference in handling if you fill up the Super C?  How do you find the smaller size of the junior and its capacity?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:28 am »
You can stuff quite a bit into the Junior - it is a very practical size. The SuperC is dangerously big - I have an amazing amount of who knows what crammed in there and I am just going on short rides! A fleece vest, a rain jacket, all sorts of tools, maps of all the surrounding counties, etc.

I had the bag off when I switched out my studded winter tires and took the unloaded bike out for a test ride. Wow! Spritely! But the bike handles just fine with all the weight - it's just got more inertia and more weight I have to pull up the hills - and to push me down them!

neil_p

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »
What are the options for holding the bags? I'd rather avoid attaching it to my Brooks if possible... Can I have one bracket, but two bags (one small, one large) which I can alternate depending on the nature of my trip?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
The Carradice SQR system is great - the bags clip on at the seatpost & it is easy to swap two bags!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:20:25 pm »
Hi All,

Not wishing to dilute this thread with a tangential post, may I suggest those with a "Carradice interest" take a look here?:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4075.0

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
Here is the bag unhooked, to make things a bit clearer: