Author Topic: Your choice for camp footwear  (Read 5103 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Your choice for camp footwear
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:02:14 am »
Hi All,

On this snowy Spring day, I am once again going through my gear lockers and playing the "What do I take on my next tour?" game. It's a neat way to pass the time and more fun for me than playing "fantasy basketball" and trying to predict the US college playoff winners (called "March Madness" for a reason. It is a very popular pursuit and there's even office betting pools built around it).

In doing so, I came across my camp footwear and wondered what you take with you to wear Après-bike...around camp, after a hard day in the saddle when on-tour.

I suppose a single pair of cycling shoes with click-in cleats (SPD, Look, etc) would be the ideal, eliminating the need for a second pair of shoes entirely. That would be the most space, weight, and cost-efficient solution, for sure.

All my bikes are already equipped with quill road pedals, and I also laid in a supply of nylon-soled, vintage Detto Pietro Article 74 cleated cycling shoes to go with them. They fit my narrow, thin feet and work wonderfully for all-day comfort when riding. Annnnnd...they're simply awful off the bike. I always feel akin to an ice-walking duck, and it is a real challenge to walk on a store floor with them. If the flooring can be damaged by cleats, I have to take them off. If the floor has hard tiles, then I risk the occasional fall (a spectacular one in Belgium startled a couple onlookers into spilling their coffee; didn't hurt me a bit except for flushing beet-red with embarrassment). Wear them on pavement or walk in them much and the cleats or shoes are ruined. It isn't good if they get wet (the top loosens from the sole). These are Bicycle Only shoes. Yes, there is probably a reason why they have been superceded but I've got the pedals for them on all my bikes already, so I've got to see them out.

The solution for me is to carry a second pair of shoes for camp use. A lot of friends carry flip-flops, which we used to call "thongs" here in 'Merka before that term described ladies' skimpy underwear. Some people I know carry moccasins. Others carry roll-up "pocketable" slippers. Zinetic ( http://gearjunkie.com/zinetic-pocket-slippers ) are a popular brand, but seem to run short and people sometimes complain they pinch their toenails. Crocs are popular, and some people even choose to ride in them ( http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/p/nova-stran.html ). Aqua-sox ( http://www.hypard.com/aquasocks.htm ) fill the bill for others. I used to carry nylon mesh running shoes, but they took up a lot of storage room and were a nuisance to lace and unlace when getting in and out of the tent and rubbish in camp showers.

My solution has been a nylon mesh clog, lightweight but with the arch and foot support of a running shoe. I chose the Merrell Encore Breeze ( http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Encore-Breeze-Shoes-Black/dp/B0036YLJRK ). I've often used them for 10-12km walks on rough ground or pavement, and I can wear them with socks or barefoot. They protect against stone-bruising no matter the terrain and have an air cell in the heel. They kick off and slip on easily for getting in and out of the tent, and the mesh body means they dry quickly when used as shower shoes or left outside overngiht in the rain. If they get all muddy, a quick splash with the garden hose or a trip through the clothes washer and they're like new. Best of all, they can be stored top-to-top and held together with a rubber band in a nearly flat package that takes up minimal space. Just the ticket for grabbing quickly when you get off the bike. I store mine in a lightweight dry sack, and tuck them under the top cap of one of my drawstring-closed rear Ortlieb BikePacker panniers.

The only problem is mine weigh 550g a pair. 'Wish they were lighter, but I haven't found anything better for the task.

What off-bike touring/camp footwear do you prefer, and why?

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Your choice for camp footwear
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:16:13 am »
I shifted to platform pedals so I can wear the same shoes on and off the bike!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:47:19 am »
I shifted to platform pedals so I can wear the same shoes on and off the bike!
Really smart, Jim, and a great all-'round solution that seems to really be picking up speed among trekkers and world tourists judging by the pics I've seen. An astonishing number (to me, anyway, as an old roadie) of them also ride in hiking boots of one sort or another. I'm guessing part of the popularity of platform pedals is due to being able to ride with any/ordinary shoes, as you say. The other part might be due to the ease with which one can leave or catch a pedal -- no cleats to line up or toe clips to flip into place on single-sided pedals. Easy!

I might be tempted, but I seem to have become wholly dependent on toe clips and straps to pedal "round" circles at high-rpm, and I don't think I could bear to be without them for high-cadence riding.  Darn.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:09:55 am »
I'd been using Time ATAC pedals and liking them well enough - no problems getting my feet on & off the pedals. (Hmmm, I wonder if my Bakers cyst came somehow from switch to platform pedals and somehow that created some extra stress, working to keep my feet on the pedals???)

I find that I can keep a decently high cadence with the platform pedals - I've been playing with that a bit and I think I can get up around 120 for a half minute or so... I usually stay around 90 unless the hill is too steep and I run off one end or the other of the Rohloff!

I like the idea of a bike as a way to get more intimate with the world I am travelling through and I was feeling like the specialized shoes were creating some unnecessary distance, I would say that was my main thought. I think it was reading Ray Jadine's Trail Life that pushed me into the switch.

Also a while back a cleat screw loosened and vanished and I found myself riding with a loose cleat that was turning around the remaining screw. Those ATAC cleats get pretty chewed up too. It just seems like one more point of failure.

The thing I like most about clipping my feet onto the pedals is that they stay put, not only at high cadence but especially over bumps. So now I am living with that risk. Can't have everything!

in4

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:12:07 am »
Camp footwear LOL You mean like a pair of sling back Jimmy Choos covered in sequins and sporting a most fetching heel.  ;D

Seriously though: I ride flats anyway so like to use a pair of lightweight walking boots, preferably goretex with just a little stiffness in the soles. I did look at a pair of these from Merrell but, as I often find, the sizing is a bit bonkers. http://www.trailblazeroutdoors.co.uk/Online-Shop/Footwear/Walking-Boots/Merrell-Moab-Mid-GTX-XCR

Back to my Christian Louboutins I guess LOL

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »
Shimano SPD sandals on the bike for me. I took a pair of trainers with me on the trip to Istanbul last year and sent them home with the other half in Paris.
I spent three days walking around Paris with cleats taken off and after that they stayed on my feet the entire time with the cleats on.

If it rained and was a bit cold I put my sealskin waterproof socks on, it's quite a look.
I bought another pair of sandals as soon as I got back from my Istanbul trip off ebay, for 1/4 of the price.
At the moment that's all I'm taking with me on the RTW trip in August. Can't fault them.

When the part of the world I get too starts to drop below 13 degrees in the day, I'll have my Shimano MT91 SPD hiking boots sent out to me. That will be my only footwear for the colder bit of the journey.

There is no way I could have got up some of the hills I did without a clip in pedal/shoe.
I use Shimano Platform SPD pedals so you can use flats if your bike shoes disappear.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
Another vote for Shimano MT91s. At least that is what I will be taking on any mixed weather tour. See the reviews here ...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47344

Good for cold and wet conditions and can be used with SPD pedals or flat pedals. I have the Shimano PD-M340 pedals (like richie?) so these boots are ideal ...

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M324.-type-.pd_mountain.html

Back to Dan's question ... for 'evening wear' (or warm weather touring) I love Keen shoes. I have a pair of Keen Newport sandals that I have lasted four years and are still going strong. Cycled in them many times too and are fine. Keen do cycling specific shoes too and I find them very tough, very comfortable and well made. I agree with you richie - if its wet you can use a pair of SealSkinz waterproof socks to stay dry.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/

I think these two pairs of shoes would cover almost all conditions, especially with some shoes covers for extreme weather.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:08:39 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »
Hi All,

SealSkinz look really appealing for the all-weather/cold-weather versatility they can add to almost any footwear.

Several questions for those who have them from one who does not (yet):

Ehm, do they uh, develop an odour after a short period of time, thanks to their waterproof construction? If so, can that be set right with a quick washing? I'm thinking back to my experience with neoprene wet-suit fabric and the early generations of polypropylene cycling-wear, and how quickly they would become unapproachable (not to mention the wearer of same). Are these similar, of is it not a problem? I'm really hoping for the latter.

A second question: Do they cause one's feet to sweat unduly, or do they pass enough water vapor to remain comfortable with heavy use? I find my feet blister easily unless they can breathe well. Is this a problem for extended use?

And a third: How many pairs/sets of SealSkins would you recommend for a tour...maybe a couple pair so one could be washed-and-drying while the other is worn?

Oh! One more: Are they fairly durable and long-lived?

I'm coming to think that when the time comes for me to go clipless, something like a cleatable Keen or SPD Shimano sandal and SealSkins just might be the ideal way to go....

Best,

Dan.

Lemming

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:29:34 pm »
Lightweight hiking boots/shoes with a decent stiff sole and a pair of http://www.sockwa.com/collections/sockwa_g2 as the evening option.  188g for a UK size 10.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:43 am »
Dan, I only have one pair of waterproof Sealskinz. On the last trip I spilt a pan of raw eggs over them (perhaps a downside to the Sandal option :-\ ).
They are now two years old. I think if they still smell good after that (and my feet) then that should be a pretty good guide. I keep them in my pannier that is permanently attached to the bike. I'll hook them out and ask the neighbour for an unbiased opinion.
On my tours I'm happy to go without a wash for a while so smell isn't my top priority. :o
Yes they do make your feet sweat when warm, the upside is they keep them warm even if they start to let water in (if you've walked through a stream etc)
They are also an excellent windstopper so under a pair of mesh trainers/SPDs they keep my feet warm down to about 3 degrees. Colder than that and I would need a liner sock or break out the bootees or the MT91s.

6527richardm

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:39 am »
Dan

I have a couple of pairs and smell is not really an issue.

They are definitely a good wind stopper but I do not find that they keep my feet particularly warm and once cold your feet remain cold in them.  I am much happier overall with my woolie boolie socks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 01:41:29 am »
Richie, Richard,

Thank you both for your thoughts on the SealSkinz; very helpful each way.

I've investigated a little more, and these are going to have to go on my back-burner for awhile; I hadn't realized they were so expensive. I see they're running about USD$40-$45 at REI here in the 'States, and about USD$26-28ppd on eBay. At the rate my toes poke holes in socks, I fear they might not last me long enough to be worthwhile.

Like many waterproof-breathable items of clothing, I see these do have some limitations depending on how they are worn and the individual wearing them. REI offers the following notes:
- Please note: the in-cuff seal must be in continuously close contact with skin all the way around the calf to prevent water from entering the sock.
- Note continued: causes of an unsuccessful seal are the interference of liner socks or hair, very slender calves relative to the socks size or excessive perspiration.
See: http://www.rei.com/search?query=sealskinz

If I eventually go the cycling-sandal route, then I can see these being really worthwhile for my needs. In the meantime, they're something I'll keep in mind for the future. Thanks again; it really helps to see the range of experience so I can weigh my needs before I invest.

All the best,

Dan.

This forum

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:55:09 am »
My poor neighbour has declared my socks fit for habitation. So another vote for them on that front.
My poor toenails get neglected whilst away, the sealskinz are "webbed" so quite hard to put a toe through (i would imagine).
But yes, just like all the Sealskinz range they are quite expensive.
I picked my socks up which are the cycling specific ones with the fluorescent band, mid height for about £16 off Wiggle.
I used to be a motorcycle courier, so am a long time fan of the brand.

Two years on and the cuff has started to sag a bit, so "seepage" is a possibility. I just prefer the feel of these when they are soaked through,to a regular pair of socks.

I was mentioning this thread to somebody else and they asked if it was dangerous to wear sandals whilst cycling.
The Shimanos have no toe protection like some of the Lake sandals I've seen so it is of course possible to damage your feet more than with shoes, however on my 3 month tour from Liverpool to Istanbul I had one toe injury. This happened whilst staying in only 1 of 2 hotels on the tour, cutting my foot open on a loose tile in the bathroom in a decent hotel in Bulgaria.
This has just reinforced my opinion that camping in the woods/farm/mountain/lakeside is usually far superior to anywhere you have to pay for:)

Getting back to the original thread.... ;D
If I do find the need for some extra footwear for off the bike/camp I will pick up a pair of "cheapy" crocs.
They seem to be everywhere I ever go.