Author Topic: Thorn Nomad MK2 singlespeed  (Read 5870 times)

spie4337

Thorn Nomad MK2 singlespeed
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:21:13 am »
While I love my Nomad for touring duties, I've found that it's a bit overspecified for day to day commuting. Furthermore, id like to save the k's on my rohloff and rims for touring. So ive been thinking about removing the Rigida Andras with the rohloff/schmidt hubs and fitting some relatively light 26inch rims, single speed hubs and some 'skinny' (in comparison to the 2.0 xrs currently fitted) 1.5 tyres.

Firstly, can anyone foresee any issues with such a conversion to begin with? I've been trawling the net for any info, but as of yet, haven't found any evidence of anyone doing such a thing with their nomad. Secondly, hub choice has got me a bit bewildered, but as I understand it, it shouldnt be too much of an issue lacing a regular flip flop hub (130mm) and filling the remaining 5mm with spacers. Am I correct? Also, I'm aware the nomad's vertical dropouts dropouts are a bit of a problem, but the EBB should sort these out too, no?

Anyway, any info or assistance would be welcome.

Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Nomad MK2 singlespeed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:33:57 am »
Hi Sam!

What an intriguing project! I'd sure like to see some photos of it in the gallery when you're done.

I really don't see any obstacles beyond the usual ones, which you have identified. The EBB should work fine, I'd think. Have you thought of going "fixed" instead of a flip-flop single-speed? If so, I'm not sure how well the EBB would like the torque generated by skid-stops, and you'd likely want to leave at least one brake on anyway.

What are your plans for dealing with the unused cables and housings/shiftbox?

Please let us know how you come out.

Best,

Dan.

spie4337

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:22:44 am »
The reason im leaning toward a flip flop is because it would be nice to have fixed the majority of time for the short distances/commutes im doing at the moment, with the option of having a slightly larger cog on the freewheel side to enable a second, bail out-esque gear on lengthier rides or short weekend tours. For this, i'll also be relying on the EBB to allow enough length in the chain to change from, say a 40/14 to a 40/16. Thoughts?

The skid stop concern on the EBB is a good point Dan, especially given the considerable weight of a nomad with rear rack and a loaded pannier. However, while I long to recapture the excitement I once felt after leaving a great big black line on the tarmac with my bmx coaster brake, I doubt I will be doing much intentional skidding, and will definitely be keeping the front vs. The rear vs could probably go though. The rohloff shifter, cables and ex box will just be removed and will probably go into box labelled 'touring', along with the wheels.

Sam
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:42:34 am by spie4337 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:26:06 am »
Sam,

Our Rohloff-Thorn cognoscenti can probably answer better than I, but I think you might just exceed the takeup limit of the EBB and may need to consider a half-link to accommodate the two-tooth change in cogs.

As an alternative, you might get away with a couple chain-connecting links and their inner-link companions. If the chain was set a bit tight with only one quick-link, you could add a second quick-link and inner and make it work with a bit slacker chain by flopping the hub. This would be a fair bit quicker than getting out the pin wrench to adjust the EBB. It'd be fun to play with, anyway.

It is a shame Schwalbe don't produce a 26" version of their Durano Skid ( http://www.schwalbe.de/gbl/en/produkte/race/produkt/index.php5?flash=1&ID_Produktgruppe=47&ID_Produkt=266&ID_Land=38&ID_Sprache=2&ID_Einsatzbereich=11&tn_mainPoint=Produkte&tn_subPoint=Race ) -- that would be fun!  :D On the other hand, the flat-spots might feel like you were carrying your own speed bumps.  :-\

Yep, a front V-brake should do just fine. If you remove the cabling, shift box and shifter, you'll have to invest a bit of time in the conversion each way, but that might be alright if you don't tour often. If it were possible to leave the back brake in place and also create a hanger for the shift box, you could speed up the changeover process considerably I'm not sure how best to do that, but the idea has possibilities for a quick changeover -- swap wheels, alter the chain, and you'd be done.

Sounds like a fun thing to try, and if it helps the bike to better meet your needs, why not?  ;)

Best, Dan.

jimmer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:11:05 pm »
Dear Sam,

Focussing on this could be a challenge as we've just done the Grand Slam, again and I felt an urgent beer coming on (Tomos Watkins' Cwrw Braf, naturally). I'll leave off my English friends until I've sent this. Cymru am byth.

I was similarly concerned about wear and tear on the Rohloff. I didn't want to squander the modest 100,000 km plus service life of the hub on the mundane business of getting to work.

The Catalyst's claim to versatility, which persuaded me to part with so much cash in the first instnce, can only be fully realised with at least another set of wheels.

My bike takes on one of several different avatars depending on its wheel, tyre or fork configuration.

In it's MTB incarnation:

Rack off.

Front wheel: Shimano MTB XT Disc Hub Front M756 32h Black 6-Bolt, Mavic 317 disc rims, Avid juicy 3.5 rotor 160mm, DT Swiss Comp double butted spokes, Panaracer Fire XC Folding tyre.

Rear wheel: Rohloff hub, Mavic EX721 ceramic rim, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Panaracer Fire XC Folding tyre.

A 5 minute swap over yields a perfectly satisfactory commuting / city / trailer hauling up to the allotment single speed / fixie bike equiped as follows:

Front wheel: Shimano Deore M525 Disc Hub Front (Black 32 hole), Mavic MTB 26" XM317 Rim 32h, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Michelin XCR 26 x 1.4 slick tyre.

Rear wheel: DMR Wheels Hubs MTB Revolver SS Rear Std Freewheel Hub 2009 32h Black 9mm, ACS claw 17 t freewheel, 17t VeloSolo bolt-on 7075-T6 Disc Cog, Mavic EX721 rim, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Michelin XCR 26 x 1.4 slick tyre.

If they ever forget to fit the ankle tag and I'm able to slip away I slot on the following for a spot of touring:

Front wheel: Mt Tura fork, XT rim brake hub, Mavic EX721 rim, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Schwalb marathon tyre.

Rear wheel: the MTB wheel as previously stated with Schwalb marathon tyre.

I run a 17 t sprocket and so can transfer over to the ss / fixie without adjusting the EBB. Conversion to the touring format takes a little longer as a fork change is involved. The ss / fixie gearing does well enough for trailer pulling around Birmingham (UK).

Works excellently for me, allowing many bikes for the price and space of one plus wheels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21993186@N05/6990384709/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21993186@N05/6990350473/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21993186@N05/6990491979/

Hope these links work, if not I'll try to work out how to get photos in the body of a post.

Yours, James

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
Jimmer,

Fascinating post for this onlooker.  The first link worked fine and contained the referenced shot and a second, showing the red Faggin frame. The second and third shots came back as "private" and were inaccessible.

Best,

Dan.

jimmer

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:29:54 pm »
Dear Dan,

Thanks for the alert to my over cautiousness. There's a grim irony to hiding Flickr pictures behind a pallisade of privacy settings that allow only your parents, spouse and father confessor access when they own the image as soon as it's posted.

The links shuold work now.

The Faggin frame is an irrelevance to this thread, it's my dedicated fixie. I got blasted last time it was mentioned here, gushing apologies.

Yours, James

spie4337

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:53 am »
Great set up you got going there Jimmer. Makes sense.

Was wondering though, does anybody know of any other cheapie (sub $60USD) 135mm O.L.D. flip flop hubs other than Surly's? I keep coming across old posts on other forums suggesting an On-One mtb fixed hub, or an IRO cycles hub, both of which I've had trouble finding. I'm aware of DMR's hubs, but I havent noticed a flip flop in their range. Nor Hope. Surely the fixie fad isn't over already?

Thanks,
Sam

E-wan

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »
I think I'd find my nomad rather on the heavy side as a single speed, even with lighter wheels.

There are several 135mm fixed/ss hubs, I have a Phil Wood Kiss off which I have been very pleased with. It normally comes as a bolt on hub with large washers that might foul the rack mount but they may also be able to do a QR version.

I'm not sure how useful the nomad's EBB would be for adjusting the chain tension, particularly if you want to ride fixed as well. You would be making a lot more frequent adjustments to the chain and putting lots more little holes in your eccentric shell.

if you'r riding fixed you may benefit from shorter cranks that allow you to manage a higher cadence with more comfort and it would be a faf to change cranks and wheels. I find my fixed bike feels a lot livelier than my nomad to ride.

My fixed gear bike is an on-one pompino which comes with rack mounts and I can run it with 2 front panniers on the rear rack and a rack top bag which is as much as I could carry fixed anyway. This still gives me enough heal clearance for size 12 shoes when using 165mm cranks.

Hope this helps

Ewan

philb0412

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:57 pm »
Yeah I second E-wan on this. If you are buying a new wheelset anyway then I would just put them on a separate bike if you have the space for storage. This can be done pretty cheaply if you get second hand parts. It depends on what you mean by day to day commuting; if it is roads then I would pick up an older road frame and buy a sportier wheelset. In this way you could have your Nomad for your longer adventures and a nippy ride for round town.

I have been resisting the temptation to ride my new (second hand) Raven over the winter, saving the wear and tear on the hub for my ride to China. Now spring has come I might venture out with a bit of weight to test out the fit a bit better. In the mean time I have been cruising on an old school Raleigh with anti-theft paintwork for commuting and longer rides and a thrown together singlespeed MTB for rough stuff.

mylesau

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:20:45 am »
I'm a little perplexed by the main thrust of the issue.  I bought a Rohloff to put as many miles on it as I can - it's built for that purpose?

My Nomad is my everything bike, the exception is my Bike Friday - a folder - which has a specific purpose that the Nomad can't match.

If you want a 'lighter' duty bike, I'm with the last couple of posts - separate bike for the job - I suspect it won't cost you much more than futzing with the Nomad.

il padrone

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 01:00:39 am »
+1

I built a single speed in the style of a 1950s road training bike, by buying a 1949 vintage frame at a swap meet for $A70. Then I hunted up a whole lot of components (mostly new or NOS, in contrast to my original aim of getting period parts) for a total of about $A1700.

The result is a bike that is a delight to ride - very responsive and quite light. I have no regrets and the frame is far more suited to the task than a Thorn Nomad would be.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 03:11:01 am »
Pete,

That's just an absolutely gorgeous bicycle, as are all of yours. Every detail has been attended to nicely, with an overall, consistent theme.

One of the nicest retro-resto-new projects I've seen, and one you can be very, very proud to own.

Well done! Thanks for sharing it here...there's not another Gerald Tate like it anywhere!

All the best,

Dan.

jimmer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
There seems to be some chagrin at the unconscionable thought of changing wheel sets on a Rohloff bike to make it single speed.

A fleet of single use bikes covering the entire spectrum of needs from BMX, through grocer's delivery and penny farthing to recumbent is an ideal to which we all aspire. However, it is impractical for many due to lack of space, spousal jealousy and the cold hard reality of an economy busted by the very shysters whose sole responsibility was to maintain trust in cash.

In the circumstances and with the requirements I have at the moment there are some compelling reasons to have a dedicated set of single speed, road use wheels for the Catalyst.

I mountain bike at least twice a month and being able to change from road to mtb setups in under 5 mins saves a lot of shed time (and ear bending) and makes it easier to go at short notice.

The single speed / fixie configuration is mostly used around Brum with the gearing adequate for any sub 20 mile loaded or trailer hauling (and now with the trail-gator, daughter pulling) journey. Given that the Rohloff is redundant under these circumstances, leaving it on the bike is to place unnecessary temptation in the way of weak-willed scallies. I couldn't forgive myself if I were responsible for making them break their probation order.

At 5000km the Rohloff's oil change interval can quickly come round. Using a single speed for non mtb, non touring use can saves at least an oil change each year. I am not suggesting that constant use of the 'hoff will wear it out prematurely, I was ironically describing it's service life as modest in a previous post.

I haven't done an Archimedes in the pond to determine the precise volume occupied by any whole bike I'd choose to augment the catalyst, but I've only got just enough space in my 8' x 8' shed as it is.

There you go, my rationale for a set up that works pretty well to fulfil my needs, under my circumstances. If your's happen to coincide, deepest commiserations aside, you may glean something of use.

Yours, James

spie4337

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 03:09:13 am »
Thanks for all the responses everyone. It's evident not everyone is in favour of such a project, but regardless, I will continue with the singlespeed Nomad project simply to satisfy my own curiosities.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Kind Regards,
Sam