Author Topic: Thorn dropout trailer hitch compatibility  (Read 1975 times)

E-wan

Thorn dropout trailer hitch compatibility
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
Thorn dropout trailer hitch compatibility

I’ve had a Raven nomad MK2 for a couple of months now and thought it would be useful to share my findings about compatible trailer hitches.  I gather all Thorn Rholoff bikes use the same dropouts so this should apply to other models as well but please correct me if I am mistaken.

croozer trailer hitch
I have a croozer kids for 2 trailer and the hitch can just be made to fit. It won’t fit vertically on the nomad as it hits the EX gearbox but will just fit horizontally.  I had to trim the bottom part of the M6 rack adapter with a hacksaw to get the hitch to fit and there is only just enough room as the dropout is so wide. Also it may depend how wide the end of your QR is as to whether the hitch will fit. I am using pitlock’s and it seems to work fine.

I also have a Revolution cargo trailer
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/site_sizing/product-reviews/revolution-cargo-trailer/revolution-cargo-trailer-new.htm

The QR for this will fit bit needs 1-2 large washers on the left if you have the M6 rack adaptors fitted so that the trailer doesn’t hit the rack.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn dropout trailer hitch compatibility
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »
Very useful information, E-wan!

I usually make my own trailers and braze-up a custom hitch for each bike, designed to go beneath the left-hand side of the rear hub QR, and designed with a ledge so it won't clock around the dropout under load and inertia. Works great and a quick project. Just thinking...if a commercial hitch for a given trailer didn't happen to fit, this would be a simple/cheap project for any machine shop or framebuilder, and avoids any modifications to the existing frame.

Best,

Dan.

SPARSONS

Re: Thorn dropout trailer hitch compatibility
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »
Bob Yak working fine here for me.