Author Topic: EXTRA INCHES!  (Read 3436 times)

in4

EXTRA INCHES!
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
My Sherpa has a 54cm top tube and I'd like to grab an extra inch or two to placate my ageing back . Accepting there is obviously a limit to what is possible is it better to change the stem, seat post, combination of the two or forget the whole idea. I currently ride drops but switching to straights of some sort is something I can consider.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: EXTRA INCHES!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi Ian,

Can you tell us a bit more so we can better help you?  I'm guessing the problem is not a too-short cockpit, but one that has you bent over too far? Are you looking to ride more upright?

If you'd like to sit up a bit more, then a number of options are available:
- If you're currently running drop 'bars, then yes -- a switch to straight or riser handlebars might well do the job for you.
- A switch to a riser stem or a stem with shorter reach and taller one might help with your present drop handlebars.
- If the steerer now seems too short, it can be extended with a device made for that purpose.
- An adjustable stem (one with a hinge in it) can be tipped upward to not only allow a higher position, but a closer one as well.
- A downhiller's two-tiered stem can raise your existing handlebar higher, even with the same steerer.
- In extreme cases, one can even purchase a replacement fork with (uncut) steerer and add the needed spacers to achieve the height you desire. Similarly, it is possible for a framebuilder to extend the length of your present steerer, if it is threadless.

If the top tube/overall cockpit is too short and you'd like to be stretch out more, there are solutions as well:
- A stem with longer forward reach.
- (drop) handlebars with greater forward reach.
- Please resist the temptation to extend the cockpit by changing seatpost setback; it is best to set your relationship with the bottom bracket for your lower body (legs), and make adjustments for the upper body separately.

Let us know a bit more so we can best help you!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:37:05 pm by Danneaux »

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »
I have just swapped out a set of thorn comfort bars from my raven tour. They are fully functional with just 5years worth of wear and tear. I would not sell second hand Ali bars but if you want to try them I'll happily let you have them for free. Postage would depend where you are based. Please pm an address if interested.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »
Don't forget the simplest thing of all... you can flip the stem. If the stem now is mounted to be roughly horizontal, then just flip it up-side-down and it will be angled upward at something like 45 degrees, which will bring the handlebars up a couple inches.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:41 am »
My Sherpa has a 54cm top tube and I'd like to grab an extra inch or two to placate my ageing back . Accepting there is obviously a limit to what is possible is it better to change the stem, seat post, combination of the two or forget the whole idea. I currently ride drops but switching to straights of some sort is something I can consider.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

A longer top tube will simply bend your back more acutely, other things being equal.

What you want is an effectively shorter top tube on the same wheelbase, with an effectively shallower angle to the seat and steerer tubes. 

Doing the job right might be too much for a Thorn owner, who comes with a certain mental baggage about what a proper bike looks like, and how one rides it. I was once in your position, a wrecked back, in and out of the physio three seasons in the year, but I didn't have a roadie or tourer background, so my path to a bike that gives me not the slightest twinge of discomfort was pretty short even if it took a few years and three progressively better bikes to arrive at a full solution; at least I didn't have any baggage (besides ignorance) to hold me back.

To try out a better position for your back on your existing bike, do this temporarily (you can buy permanent components later, when you understand better what you're doing and how far you want/need to go):

1. Move the seat back on the rails as far as it will go. Adjust the height to touch the pedals with slightly bent knees. If you can borrow a layback seat post, use that.

2. Turn your stem around so that it points backwards. Flip the stem upside down if that will give you more height. Refit the handlebars.

2A. Alternatively, borrow North Road (old-fashioned commuter type sweptback bars; the On One type currently popular are called Mary bars, I believe), and just flip the stem for extra height but without reversing it.

3. Ride the bike. Effectively you've now turned a semi-sporting to sporting bike into one where you're using more relaxed, older angles. If you like the result, once you get over the strangeness of the (temporary) appearance buy the following:

Wider saddle than you would use with drops. Brooks B67 types are good. I use a Brooks B73 with three coil springs but you may be used to a more controlled saddle. If you're a big guy, go all the way up to the Brooks B190. The more upright you sit, the wider your saddle should be.

Layback seatpost.

Short adjustable stem. As Dan explains, you want to bring the handlebars closer to you and higher at the same time.

North Road bars or moustache bars or at least angled bars (like the Thorn ergo bars, though in my opinion they don't go far enough). The purpose is to bring the handles closer to you and to angle them more ergonomically.  The bars should be the width of your shoulders, quite a bit wider than you may be used to with drops.

You may, as Dan also says, need a fork with an uncut steerer and some spacers, or a steerer extender; any bike shop will be able to get you an extender from Kalloy or BBB, or try the internet.

Kalloy makes a good North Road bar in alloy and steel (I have both). They also make a crude toolless adjustable stem but it is priced right. The reason for buying cheap parts first is that you never get it right the first time; I circled in on my complete solution.

Straightening you up will inevitably slow you down; you'll have to adjust your attitude at the same time as you adjust your bike, but at least the adjustment will keep you riding rather than giving up so as to be free of pain.

HTH.

Andre Jute
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

in4

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »
Many, many thanks for all your sound advice. I really appreciate it.

I'm continuing to think the problem through as I type. I'm pretty sure its is solvable by making adjustments to the stem, bars and/or height of the bars. Thankfully your advices and kind offers are helping me to think a little more objectively about it. Of course it is all a matter of geometry and physiology but one just 'knows' when a bike is set up right and when it is not.

Thanks again

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:01:17 pm »
...one just 'knows' when a bike is set up right and when it is not.
Absolutely correct, Ian. If you run into trouble or want more advice as you close in on a solution, just give us a shout. If need be, have someone take your pic in profile while on the bike. I've done that with every single one of mine, and it is a great way to objectively double-check fit. Using the "just feels right" approach and checking with the photo, every one of my bikes match the same in terms of how I fit, though it took going a different route on each one to get there (no two frame measurements or geometries the same, so solutions differed).

Best,

Dan.