Author Topic: Shimano Alfine Di2 on the way; is Rohloff Elektroshift next?  (Read 6482 times)

il padrone

Re: Shimano Alfine Di2 on the way; is Rohloff Elektroshift next?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:25:20 am »
Rohloff Elektroshift?

Already available. I think it's Rohloff (or related producers) that have pushed Shimano on this.  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:40 am »
Here we go...one Rohloff-compatible ShiftEzy electronic shifter, now in its 3rd generation from independent Australian industrial robotics supplier Edsan Products...

http://www.edsanautomation.com.au/EdsanProducts.htm

AUD$478 + shipping.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:58:12 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:41:02 am »
looks the way to go very clever indeed  8)

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »
Shiftezy is an Aussie company and 'Made in Australia' product too. Pretty cool, huh?  8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:16 pm »
Pretty cool, huh?
I'll say! I've always admired Australian innovation and high-quality production, and the logo is pretty neat, too! :D

I always love seeing problems approached and addressed in new ways. Annnnnd, the makers say device even uses a planetary gearbox to aid in actuation. Like having a little Rohloff to shift your Rohloff! Nice find, Pete!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:45:31 pm by Danneaux »

Cambirder

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 02:51:55 pm »
I can't see any real advantage in having electronic shifting, but I can see one horrible potential point of failure that can't be fixed by the road side.

I'll stick to mechanical shifting thank you very much  ;D

energyman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:12:15 pm »
My question is why on earth would one want an electronic shiting device.  My motto has always been KISS.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »
Shimano had full-auto hub gear shifting before. The current Dura-Ace Di2, which is electronically assisted manual shifting, is a cut down version of the earlier full-auto Cyber Nexus Di2.

I have the Shimano full-auto Cyber Nexus Di2 system on my Trek Navigator 700. It was, as a far as I know, only available to OEM (Royal Dutch Gazelle and Kalkhoff in Germany both took it up in a big way; the boss of Koga-Miyata announced that it was the wave of the future...), and it failed in the market. It was a superb system but nobody wanted it. It works but most people don't see the benefit: hub gears shift easily enough. Shimano then approached the problem from the bottom end, and made a three speeder Di2 full auto for shopping bikes, also only available in the OEM market. I don't know how well that sold.

My full-auto Shimano Cyber Nexus Di2 system is described in a photo essay here:
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGsmover.html

There is no good reason in the world for Rohloff to make an electrically shifting hub gearbox. The number of Rohloff customers who will pay for it can be counted in handsful. Furthermore, if the mighty Shimano couldn't make a go of it at the top end of the Dutch commuter market with the Cyber Nexus full-auto, what hope is there with the brawnier, hairier, tougher class of customer that Rohloff attracts?

I looked into the Edsan system and had some correspondence with the designer. It's competently designed and made, but it is only assisted shifting, and it still uses wires. I just don't see the advantage. For me even to consider an electronic Rohloff, it would have to have full-auto shifting, like the Cyber Nexus, and it must operate wirelessly, to simplify the cabling of the bike. Then I would pay a premium price for a premium product, simply to have it, not because I need it. Doubt there will be too many who can persuade themselves they need it, but there is always a small market for expensive technofreak one-upmanship. (Not us, of course, never us!) Maybe there could be a small real need and market too alongside splitable or folding bike fittings.

Sorry not to be more enthusiastic, but I've been there. Unless any new system offers everything that Shimano already had in the Cyber Nexus Di2 of nearly a decade ago, including the superb adaptive suspension, it will be a step backwards. I don't see where Rohloff will get the money from to develop adaptive suspension or even the sensor system Shimano had.

Andre Jute
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »
'Nother nice essay based on personal experience, Andre, and therefore useful as always. Reminds me of the old slogan for Packard automobiles, "Ask the man who owns one", and you surely have experience with electronic shifting -- more than many of us, I suspect (and me, certainly).

Thanks for the link to your photo-essay on the "Smover"; well worth another read -- lovely machine, jaw-droppingly ahead of its time in electronic application and execution!

I have to admit to being a bit of a luddite wrt shifting, having only moved into 9-speed indexing with the Sherpa, and with most bikes in my stable still running friction-only. That said, I'm still a "gadget guy" who loves learning about "the latest", whatever that might be!

Best,

Dan.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:30 pm »
I can't see any real advantage in having electronic shifting, but I can see one horrible potential point of failure that can't be fixed by the road side.

I'll stick to mechanical shifting thank you very much  ;D

+1  I couldn't word it any better myself.