Author Topic: RST Front Brake  (Read 2001 times)

energyman

RST Front Brake
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
I have noticed that the front brake cable assembly on my RST is catching on the frame when it turns hard left.
A friend with an RST has much more clearance.
Any comments ?

brummie

Re: RST Front Brake
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »
You need to run a longer brake cable ( or lower your handlebars ! ) Running a longer cable will mean the V-brake noodle will sit 'flatter' & avoid contacting the frame when the bars are turned.

energyman

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
Tried that and it still catches.  It appears that the brake braze ons on the forks are either too high or the brake assembly is too "tall".
Still investigating.

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:13 PM »
Something odd here, it would be strange if that is how it is supposed to be, and looking at photos of other owners of RSTs in the Gallery section seems to indicate plenty of clearance on most frame sizes.
What size frame is your bike and did you buy it new from Thorn?
Have you tried asking the experts at Thorn/SJSC?
If no bettter solution comes to light you could fit mini v brakes but you need to check compatability with your brake levers as the cable pull might be different, you may have to change the lever as well for optimum performance. And you would have to check that the arms are long enough for the brake to clear your mudguard.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:01:41 PM by rualexander »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
By any chance, does the brake foul the downtube when turning the other way (to the right)? If not, it must *just* clear. If so, I also would suspect either a too-tall brake or the bosses are set too high on the fork. Since the brake arms themselves appear standard, that points toward fork boss placement. It shouldn't do that....

Hoping for an easy solution for you.

Best,

Dan.