Author Topic: Virgin pops cherry in Africa....  (Read 11293 times)

ianshearin

Virgin pops cherry in Africa....
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:20:47 pm »
Hi all,
I am new to the forums although I have been trolling for a few Weeks now.

I would like to introduce myself and look for comments, advice or flames on my first expedition.

I have worked all my life from the age of 16, a full military career followed by a second career in Adult education, I have just come back from teaching in Saudi Arabia, although I am 53 and still a little early to retire; work is so difficult to come by and when it does it's overworked and underpaid, thoughts have turned to an expedition on a bike cycling down to South Africa from the UK.

My intention is to plan it all in advance (hence this post) Starting with gathering the equipment and planning the route, the bike I have my eye on is the Thorn Raven Tour which seems to be a favourite choice for many adventurers, the rest of the gear I will research and collect over the following Months.

I am going to travel down through France, Spain and then into Morrocco and from there down the West of Africa, my intention is to take some fishing equipment with me and fish at every opportunity I get, eating what I catch and cataloguing the fishing experience as I go maybe to write a book on fishing Africa from a cyclists view.

I have an unhealthy interest in all things gadget so will also take the opportunity to test Africa and mobile gadgets and how easy/difficult it is to stay in touch with family and friends.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise on some some questions I have that some of you may well have experienced.

Will I need to plan Visas in advance?
Do adventurers wear cycling helmets?
What do you do to combat loneliness or boredom?
If you had one tip to give a new adventurer, what would it be?

Thanks for reading

Ian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:44:59 am by ianshearin »
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Virgin pops cherry in Africa....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:47 pm »
Welcome, Ian, and congratulations and encouragement in advance on what will surely be a wonderful trip!

As for suggestions, my first one is to quickly grab a copy of Stephen Lord's Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook, 2nd Ed., available from Amazon and a number of online vendors. It has route suggestions for the area you are going, and covers many of your questions with  entire sections devoted to equipment and preparation, route planning by region, and accounts by seasoned travelers. He even addresses the Visa issue to some extent, by region.

I would also suggest taking a look at each section of this Forum, paying particular attention to those devoted to panniers and luggage, and lighting and battery charging from a dynamo. Chances are, a lot of your questions will have already been answered -- or what's already there will stimulate new questions for you.

Beyond that, we're a friendly and helpful lot, so feel free to ask as questions occur (more will).

As for helmet use...I always do, some always don't, and some sometimes do. It is a matter for personal preference, one's level of risk-aversion, and past experience. It is a proven source of fuel for flame-wars, but it boils down to what you're personally comfortable doing. Very few people will ever change their positions, no matter how heated the exchange. You can take a poll and decide based on the number of "yeas or nays" or just decide to take one. That is what I usually suggest, since helmets can be hard to come by in remote areas. If a person finds it valuable to do so, they'll find themselves wearing one. If they don't, they can send it home or give it away.

On combating boredom...I enjoy any number of activities while on-tour and in camp, including bird- and wildlife-watching, photography, maintaining the bike, and planning the next and subsequent day's routes, and journaling my day's adventures. I've found that's more than enough to fill up my off-bike time, but I do carry a book and limit myself to a chapter or so a night so I have something to think about on the next day's ride. The farther you go from your present home and experience, the more basic life will get and the more you'll find to entertain you along the way. At least, it has worked out that way for me and those of my acquaintance. The deeper you go into unfamiliar territory, the greater the opportunities for self-education through interaction and talking with those you meet along the way.

If I had one tip I can offer, it is this: Be open to new experiences and be aware there's many ways to do things; while folks in other cultures might do them differently than you, their ways probably work fine for them. View this as an opportunity to grow each and every day; you will!

A second suggestion for the price of one: It's great to plan ahead, but not everything can be planned-for, so be flexible and adaptive.

A third: The best tool in your kit is a good attitude. Remember this quote from GK Chesterton:
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

All the best, and once again -- welcome and best of luck.

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:17:02 pm by Danneaux »

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:29:25 pm »
If you haven't seen it yet, have a look at Helen Lloyd's Take on Africa site, she cycled from London to Cape Town a couple of years ago on a Raven Tour. http://takeonafrica.com/

ianshearin

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41:20 am »
Thanks Dan for the words of wisdom, I have placed an order for Stephen Lords book, I will devour every word... ;)

Thats a great take on the trip from Helen's site rualex, when I first conceived the idea I arrogantly thought I was the only person in the world who would consider such a thing, seems it's almost a well trodden route  :o

My main decision at the minute is when to go, I have a work contract until August so if I went this Year it wouldn't be until September and I dont know if I would be ready in time for that, it may be that I start the trip next August (2013) which will fit in more with my retirement plans, truth is, I have the bug and want to go as soon as I can... I'll see how the next few Weeks pan out with my research.

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:01:12 am »
Ian,

If the trip doesn't take place until 2013, it will all be to the good in terms of giving you time to gain experience closer to home and to fully sort your kit before departure on the Big Trip. The time won't be wasted, and you're wise in starting the planning and preparation now. Many small niggles can be resolved close to home, and the opportunity to camp and add to your store of knowledge and define and refine your preferences by camping in one's own backyard cannot be overstated. I've solved many problems with a tent only four meters from the house on a cold winter's night, fine-tuning pads and bags and liners and pillows and such and learning just how to rig a given tent's ventilation to hit the fine mark between condensation and too-cold. I found and resolved a pump failure that would have rendered my stove inoperable on the following week's trip far from home, and discovered how best to reliably and quickly pack my load -- in the dark and rain and cold -- before I had to do so the first time on the road. It's no disgrace to dash back in the house to get warm/dry if it means you can avoid that to begin with some stormy night in the middle of nowhere. It has paid off for me every single time. Gives the neighbors something to talk about as well. ;) And...it's a boatload of fun to play with new toys! :D

Ian, you're welcome to ask us anything but in the end, you'll find your own "right" and "best" ways for doing things, and they'll become that thanks to meeting your own needs as they arise and as you learn what you like. I have every confidence in you, and know you'll have a wonderful time of it all. Just don't forget that each day leading up to the Big Trip is a journey in itself and one to be treasured -- even the preparations for such trips are special.

Nice start on the wordpress blog, by the way; good title and great artwork on the banner!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:17:06 am by Danneaux »

ianshearin

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:16 am »
Thank you for the kind words Dan, already I am starting to feel that I am not alone.

How did you find my blog...... :o
It was just a quick check to see how wordpress performs, I didnt really like it as I want more control, so have deleted that one and loaded up a CMS system called e107, it has better forum control and I have a little more experience with it.
It is important these days I believe to have a good web presence on something like this, and as you have pointed out, the journey has already started in the preparation.

Now to phone my Brother and tell him there will be a tent in his garden soon....

Ian
'shing xiong'

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:01 am »
You should also take a look at Pete Gostelow's The Big Africa Cycle site for a similar route south.

ianshearin

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:54 am »
Thanks Il Pad, I have that one on my radar...
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:58 pm »
best of luck with this tour Ian sounds fantastic.
 tell me this would you know how to completely strip down your bike and put it all back together again.
if not a bike maintanance course might be an idea.

ianshearin

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:06:47 pm »
Thats a good point Jag, these days I dont even open the hood of the car.
I was an engineer although not a good one to be honest, Im hoping that most repairs will be within my ability.
If not I can always use my most versatile tool that has served me well for many years and has never broken or failed to do any task.
it is small, square and fits in my pocket.... ;)
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:06 pm »
 ;D ;D very good but what if the battery dies.

ianshearin

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:06 pm »
Ill just buy some more.....
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:02 pm »
 ok you have it sussed so ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:59:02 pm »
Ian,

If you haven't seen it, I suggest a look at Peter Gostelow's site, "The Big Africa", here: http://www.thebigafricacycle.com/

He contributed to Stephen Lord's book, and is currently in-process on the African ride. Thinking it might prove helpful to review his comments on the route so far, along with equipment and such. He's riding a Thorn Raven Tour.  His general home page is http://petergostelow.com , and well worth a good read for anyone interested in Adventure Cycle-touring. Lots of good, proven advice in all dimensions between the two sites.

He planned two possible routes for the trip from England to Capetown in case one didn't work out (not a bad plan):
Route 1: http://petergostelow.com//wp-content/uploads/africa_pol_2007.jpg
Route 2: http://petergostelow.com//wp-content/uploads/africa_pol_2007p2.jpg

Hope this helps,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »
Thanks Dan, I have been following Petes trip on his website and Facebook, he had a major setback suffering from a testicular torsion incident http://www.thebigafricacycle.com/general-posts/a-twist-in-the-road
Sounded very painful, however he is back on the road again... although he reported on his facebook that the £1800 Health bill was not going to be met by his insurance company due to not being taken out before he left UK. Ouch.

My own plans are changing slightly, as I do more research I understand more the pitfalls and problems faced with such a long trip, not least for me is the fact I will have to rent out my apartment to fund the trip, this means being committed to probably a Year on the road which I think is too long for me...what if I get injured or Ill or get my bike robbed, or just get fed up.... I will have nowhere to live  :-\
At the end of next Year I have my Military pension kick in and I will be able to support the trip financially without renting out my pad, so sensiblity suggests I should wait until next December, I will be 55 then and hopefully still enthused..
So my plan now is to go ahead and get the bike and gear I need and then to fly down to the South of Spain in December and ride back home to the UK over the following 3/4 Months stopping to fish where I can along the way.
My concern now is the weather at that time of the Year, I will B&B whenever I can so won't need to get too native with the camping equipment but probably will need an emergency camp set up. Hopefully leaving more room for some wet weather clothing.

I wonder if any members here have any experience of cycling from Southern Spain to UK at this time of Year?
'shing xiong'