Author Topic: Sherpa tyre-with..  (Read 3478 times)

pedalende73

Sherpa tyre-with..
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »
Hello!

Can anyone tell me the maximum tyre-with for my Sherpa 610 XL?

So far Schwalbe-fan..

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Sherpa tyre-with..
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:00:39 pm »
Ole,

Looking at my own 560S Sherpa, I believe the maximum practical width Schwalbe Dureme with SKS 55mm fenders is 2.0" (that's what I am running).  Most people seem to use 2.0" as their maximum Sherpa tire size.

Without fenders and depending on tire design, you might get away with a slightly wider/taller tire. It is wise to leave a bit of clearance for mud buildup and the possibility of an out-of-round wheel due to broken spokes or accident.  There is a bit less clearance at the fork crown sides than there is at the seat/chainstays.  Removing the fender-mounting bolt will gain some vertical clearance if fenders are not used.  Tire design will be a factor as well.  A tire with a more "square" profile (i.e. Schwalbe Hurricane) will still fit at 2.0", according to other users. 

Thorn limits their tire offerings to a maximum of 2.0" on the Sherpa order form.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Dan.

pedalende73

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »
Thanks a lot for useful info Dan.

I believe my choice will be Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 2,0" Some years and thousands of kms without punctures, summer and winter, makes Marathon very reliable to me. The only weak points I have noticed is the reflexside falling of after a while, and cracks in the sidewalls -I guess maybe because of too high pressure..
Also, Continental Travel Contact seems to be an interesting alternative, mostly because they can deal with a bit higher pressure and the lower price, but I am not so fond of the semi slick tread..

Ride safe, Ole

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »
Ole,

I don't know if this will help given your location, but here in the States I always comparison shop tire prices online before making a purchase.  There are a number of services available, and price -- even with shipping included -- can vary widely.  A quick check at this writing shows a spread of USD$59.90 with shipping to as much as USD$77.99 plus shipping.  Prices can easily change within the hour.

Here are some current results for the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.0 tires from online shopping price aggregators:

http://www.google.com/search?q=schwalbe+marathon+extreme+26x2.0&tbm=shop&hl=en&aq=f#hl=en&safe=off&tbm=shop&sa=X&psj=1&ei=UcAhT8SZHqjniAK57Y3cBw&ved=0CEEQBSgA&q=schwalbe+marathon+extreme+26+x+2.0&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d23267ce07f75cfc&biw=1296&bih=627
...and...
http://www.shoplinkz.com/ps/Schwalbe-Marathon-Extreme-26x2-0-11631402

Either of the tires you're considering are good and well-regarded by users.

Schwalbe's site indicates cracked sidewalls can occur from underinflation ( http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/inflation_pressure ):
If the inflation pressure is continuously too low, premature tire wear is the result. Cracking of the sidewall is the typical consequence. Abrasion is also unnecessarily high.
That might explain the Reflex tape coming loose, though I found the Netherlands' sand roads will do a good job of it too.   :D  In my experience, time and weather (ozone and ultraviolet light) can also cause sidewall cracking. Interior casing separation and splitting can be caused by impact while underinflated at one extreme and by overinflation at the other (the casing expands beyond the less inflexible flat-protecting belt until something gives).

All the best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:20:24 pm by Danneaux »

farmer palmer

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:05 pm »
2.0 Schwalbe Marathon XR HD Ceramics on my 2010 Sherpa 610XL and still good clearance on the guards and very nice ride and grip although after deflating the tyres for transporting the bike on a plane it takes a wee bit of time centralising the tyre on the rim again. Biggest PITA is stripping the bike down to get it in my 'Edinburgh Bicycle' large bike bag......A 610XL is a big frame and lots of bolts to undo and refit again......!

After a 1000miles touring mostly in Iceland on a mix of paved and unpaved roads it was time to swap the tyres front to rear to even up the wear as the rear had worn just a a bit but they're hard wearing.......Best of all with these tyres.....No punctures......!!

FP.

triaesthete

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:00:20 pm »
I had 2inch Marathon Supremes in mine but there were two drawbacks I could see. Firstly the wheels wouldn't come out without deflating the tyres. Secondly the fat tyre mounted on a rim with 19mm internal section  needed relatively high pressure to stop it squirming around when hillclimbing out of the saddle.
I now run 1.6 inch Supremes which allow the wheels to drop straight out, the beads seat better and more easily and I can run them at lower pressure/higher comfort/less squirming than I did with the 2 inchers. And they are lighter and faster and no less reliable!
Mind you they don't have any off road traction and the don't make a skinny XR...
Ian