Author Topic: Anyone else doing any audax rides this year?  (Read 1942 times)

Cambirder

Anyone else doing any audax rides this year?
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »
I caught the bug at the end of last season with a couple of 100km rides. Got another 100 booked at the end of Feb, my first 150 the week after and my first 200 the weekend after that.

Big target for this year (providing I survive the 200 km rides) is a crack at the UK 400 in June. Hope to see a few more Thorns as I push my RST further than it (and I) has ever been before.

farmer palmer

Re: Anyone else doing any audax rides this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Audaxes are great.......!

Seems like only yesterday that I successfully completed the 1993 London-Edinburgh-London 1300km Audax in 91 hours 30 mintes

It'd be a long haul today on my Sherpa but i'll give my local 100 a go just for fun and if I made it in under six hours i'd be very happy!

FP.

Cambirder

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »
LEL is impressive, not sure I could cope with the sleep deprivation.

farmer palmer

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:01 PM »
I had something like seven hours sleep in total and it's surprising how the distance went by........Difficult in Scotland when I was only twenty miles from home and a cosy bed at one point......! Lack of sleep can be a problem but I was riding with a good bunch of guys and we helped each other get over the low points. Great sense of achievement making it to the the finish and I remember it was very difficult driving home at more than fifteen miles an hour for the first few miles!

The best way to look at Audax is too not think of the total distance but just the next checkpoint......They are good social events too and you can ride huge distances with folk of similar ability and you get to see some great scenery.

Good luck this year riding the events and you'll have a great time

FP.