Author Topic: stiff gear change on a Rohloff  (Read 3363 times)

peteb

stiff gear change on a Rohloff
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:03 pm »
I've got a 5 year old hub, changed the oil last year. I have recently found it hard to turn the twistgrip either up or down. If I undo the bayonet connectors, it is smooooth and easy to turn the shifter, so it must be more towards the hub where the stiffness is coming from.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and do you know how to cure it?

Hope someone can help.

julk

Re: stiff gear change on a Rohloff
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:24:17 pm »
Pete,
It sound like the hub cable could have frayed and be catching.
Is the gear change stiff/difficult when you pull directly on the bayonet connectors?
If so you probably need to replace the cable (pages 97 - 107 in the Rohloff manual) or fit  one of these ready made jobs.
Julian.

peteb

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:52:27 pm »
Thanks Julk,

Yes it is stiff just pulling on the bayonet connectors.

Thanks for the tip.

Pete

strat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:25 pm »
I was having the same problem and decided that after 5 years that the cables needed replacing. Got my local bike shop to replace the two long cables and  the hub cable. It sorted the changing problem out.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:36 am »
Hi all,
Julk's right.  If it still stiff at the hub end then it must be the inner cable.  This should be replaced periodically as a precaution (AB mentions the intervals in 'living with a rohloff').  It is a bit fiddly and would be best avoided by the roadside, but is OK at home.  The made up kits from SJS make it easy and are a useful addition to the toolkit on tour.  I've not yet got around to changing the long external cables although they should also be changed.  I try and keep them clean with WD40.  The shifter cables froze on one occasion but it was -10 (the hub was fine).

Hope you got it sorted.