Author Topic: New wheel or rebuild wheel for SON Dynamo?  (Read 4124 times)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
New wheel or rebuild wheel for SON Dynamo?
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:43:52 pm »
I have a standard Deore front hub that comes with the Thorn Raven Tour and am looking at getting some dynamo lights. Is it better to have the wheel rebuilt (possible?) or must I buy a new wheel with the SON Dynamo built in? I base the question on wanting the strongest wheel for expedition touring.

Due to my inexperience this may seem like a simple question but what do most people do in this situation?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: New wheel or rebuild wheel for SON Dynamo?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »
The number of holes in the rim has to match the number of holes in the hub. Looks like the SON hub comes in most of the standard drillings, so you should be able to find a match. If you like your current rim, you can certainly have a new hub built into it. Seems like rims don't last as long as hubs, and they're not as expensive in general, so maybe you'll want a whole new wheel. But you might easily end up with a custom built wheel anyway, to get the hub and rim you want. Still, if you happen to find somebody selling the whole affair pre-built, maybe you'll get a better price.

I'm not an expert but I think you have lots of options, at least possibilities.

Not quite sure the considerations on rim width. Of course a rim the same (exterior) width as your current rim, that is sure to work. But no doubt you can tweak it wider or narrower a bit. The brakes would have to reach/clear the new width - I expect that's a matter of the spacers between the brake arm and the brake shoe. Plus the rim constrains the tire to some extent, so you want to make sure that there's a tire you can use that fits both the bike and the rim.

Ain't technology fun!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:39:12 am »
StuntPilot,

Assuming the rim is in good shape, there is no reason why the wheel cannot be rebuilt with new spokes and a new hub.  However, if the rim is well-worn, then it may be more economical to purchase a pre-built wheel or have one custom-built with a SON dynohub.  Doing the job yourself will save your labor costs; front wheesl are easier to tension than rear ones for new builders.

The hub is -- and spokes are --certainly available separately.  Built properly, the wheel will be as strong for expedition touring with the SON dynohub as it was with your standard Deore.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:43:20 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:16:53 am »
I have a standard Deore front hub that comes with the Thorn Raven Tour and am looking at getting some dynamo lights. Is it better to have the wheel rebuilt (possible?) or must I buy a new wheel with the SON Dynamo built in? I base the question on wanting the strongest wheel for expedition touring.

Due to my inexperience this may seem like a simple question but what do most people do in this situation?

The wheel builder is the key. Get your wheel from SJS which has a known good wheel builder. This is a common item on their customer bikes, so they may even be able to take it off the shelf. Don't reuse you rim. Instead, if you can afford it, get a Rigida CSS rim to match the longevity of the SON. Also Sapim Strong spokes with Polyax nipples. The Sapim are butt-ugly but they don't come stronger or longer-lasting.

If you're looking for a bargain, shop German Ebay which sometimes carry manufacturer surplus of built wheels with SON dynamos.

Andre Jute

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »
Jim, Dan, Andre

Thanks for the input! The wheels are two years old and little used. No noticeable wear on the rims so a rebuild is possible. I agree with the point of having a new rim built expertly by SJS with the SON. I guess its down to money. However looking at the price of the rim and build only, I have yet to balance that factor out!

The front wheel I have is superbly built, good condition and a almost new Deore hub so it would be a shame to 'throw' that build away.  ??? Muse, muse, muse ... check the bank account ... sit on the idea for a bit (no immediate tour) ... spare wheel?? ... will let you all know the outcome!

Thanks again for the comments.

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:46:34 am »
One other possible option could be to go and order a new wheel ... and sell the old one.  I imagine that could put you ahead compared to the other two options?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »
Stunt pilot,
Unless you are using ceramic rims I don't believe it would be economic to strip down a wheel for it rim and then rebuild it into a new wheel around a SON. My advice would he either to sell the wheel or keep it as a backup.  (i keep a spare front wheel with a Off-road tire on so when the mood takes me I can head to the hills with once less job to do first)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:42:53 pm »
stutho

Yes, that is the decision. I will probably get a new wheel built with a ceramic rim. Then eventually replace the rear rim with a ceramic one too. Meanwhile the old front and hub will be useful as an emergency spare. The price between a rebuild of the existing wheel and a new ceramic rim build is not hugely significant if you exclude the SON dynamo. Consideration given too to any loss of strength in the old rim.

I have contemplated an EveryWheel trailer in the future so it would be used for that if I go for that option.

Thanks for the comments!