Author Topic: How far did you pedal your Thorn in 2011?  (Read 5420 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: How far did you pedal your Thorn in 2011?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 01:24:51 am »
Great mileage and a lovely shot of a lovely bike, Erudin.  Is this about what you'd take for a touring load?  For the rando rides, did you just go with the handlebar bag, or did you add a rack pack or saddle bag?  Nice, considerate rear mudflap for pacelines, too.  Is that a Spanninga taillight on the rear fender? 

How 'bout some gallery shots?  ;)

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:45:12 am »
oooh, that is a very dangerous photo, Erudin! If I were to buy another bike, that Audax Mk3 would be the one. Dreaming about the possibility, I'd been wondering if downtube shifters would be a practical option. And there they are!

My current idea is: if I can get my weight down from 180 to 150 pounds, I'll have earned a lighter bike.

Enjoy yours, many miles in good health!

davefife

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 08:35:46 am »
Only about 1500 miles this year - RST, I stopped working at a desk 13 months ago and stopped the 40 mile commute!  Issues this year on the mechanical front were a free rebuild under warranty of my son dyno hub, it was about 5 years 6 months but SJS sent it to Germany and had it done under warranty, very grateful for that.
Also some rust from under the paint on my fork crown/fork blade area, this finally broke through after being noticed a few years back, bike is 6 years old, I will post separate about this issue as R Thorn commented on it.
cheers
Dave

pwat

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 07:51:12 pm »
4098.3 miles on my Thorn Audax Mk 3 bought in February 2009.  Mainly commuting but also occasional leisure rides and one holiday (Holland).
Agree with Erudin (above) – not the lightest bike I’ve ridden, but comfortable, ideal for my daily commuting through the lanes of South Oxfordshire, and occasional leisure rides.   
The well shaped frame combined with intelligently selected components deliver a thoroughly well engineered machine, not cheap, not overpriced but all round very good value for money and moderately light weight whilst being robust enough for touring and occasional (careful) off-road use.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 03:20:36 am »
My, pwat, that is an outstanding Audax 3 you have!  What a lovely, balanced build, and it looks fast and capable just sitting there, eager to go.  You chose well on the color (red bikes are always fast!) and even the pannier piping matches. 

'Can't think of a better road-based all-'rounder, and the phrase "modern classic" comes to mind.  Thanks for showing!

Best,

Dan.

peter jenkins

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:12 am »

2404 km on my Club Tour
1192 km on my Bianchi
4117 km on my TSR30

The TSR30 is seeing most use but I still enjoy using the Club Tour on the occasional Audax ride and for commuting.

Interesting to note the earlier comment about downtube shifters as there has been a bit of chat about that on the (Australian) Audax list lately.
Cheers,

pj

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 12:33:32 pm »

Interesting to note the earlier comment about downtube shifters as there has been a bit of chat about that on the (Australian) Audax list lately.

The failure of the brake/shifter on my 1996 Trek 520 got me started on the slippery slope that landed me on my new Thorn Nomad. That bike has a seven sprocket cluster. Apparently a replacement brake/shifter was unavailable. So I got downtube shifters installed. Simple and effective!

The gearing on that 520 is just much too high for me. I got started thinking about new cranks and chainrings. Then too the rims are rather beat up.

I think I will get the rims bent back straight and let our teenager try the 520. It can handle loaded panniers. He can push the taller gears. A little camping expedition would get him away from the video games. How to motivate him, that is still a puzzle!

energyman

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »
I'll keep very quiet about my 1,200 miles on my RST.  But there again it's not very far to Waitrose for the shopping !
Lovely bike to ride though.

TonySmith

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 02:02:43 pm »
Don't record it exactly but it'd be around 4000 miles on my Raven Tour. That ties in with the 1700 miles I've done since I rebuilt the front (SON) wheel in August and made a note of the mileage.

Bromptonboy

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »
I cycle commuted ~1,400 miles on my Thorn Raven Tour.  My resolution for this year is to increase that number to ~2K miles.