Author Topic: Wobbledy Duremes  (Read 3233 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Wobbledy Duremes
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »
Hi All,

When I ordered my Sherpa, I selected 26x2.0 wired-on Schwalbe Duremes.  I'm really pleased with the tires, but since new, they have displayed a wobble when mounted. The wobble on each is not huge but definitely noticeable, and when I get bored and look down, it kinda bugs me.  I haven't measured it yet, but it appears to be in the tread rather than the casing.

Though they looked to be seated correctly, I removed both wheels and tires and checked and re-seated everything from scratch -- rim strip, tube, and tire.  I then inflated the tire carefully, as usual, checking it for proper bead-seating as I brought it up to pressure.  There is no section of tube or rim strip trapped between bead and bead-seat, and when I spin the tire, the bead tape (the portion of the casing that extends from inside to wrap over the bead and remains visible above the rim edge) is just as even as can be.  It sure looks like the bead is fully and properly seated.

I've trued the rims by my dial gauge, so it isn't the rims.  When I spin the wheels with mounted tires in the truing stand or on the frame, there is an axial "bump" as well as a lateral wobble in the inflated casing of both tires, so it can't be I have a single defective tire.

Anyone else experience this?  It doesn't seem to be bothersome in use but I don't recall seeing a tire wobble to this degree before unless something was wrong, like a split belt.  No evidence of that.  Perhaps Schwalbes just have some tread wobble?  I have a couple folding Duremes as spares, and may mount them as a check against the rigid ones on the bike.

Thoughts and suggestions, welcome!  Thanks in advance.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:34:53 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

Re: Wobbledy Duremes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:25:19 pm »
I have not noticed anything like that with my folding bead 26X2.0 Dureme (front) or Extreme (rear).

I have noticed with a different brand of 26X2.0 tire that I had a wobble that I could feel when riding at a slow speed when I used a tire liner.  When I removed the liner the wobble went away.  I have not tried the liners in the Dureme or Extreme.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:10:59 am »
This evening, I demounted both Duremes and generously swabbed the tire beads and rim bead seats with soapy water, remounted the tires, and pumped them up to their maximum pressure of 70psi/5bar.  Same result as before:  The bead tape is the same even distance above the rim, and the carcass/casing runs true.  It appears the tread is what wanders a bit, both radially and axially.  The reflective band goes a little wiggly-woggly when the wheel is spun, but that is because it was heat-set a bit off-center compared to the bead tape, so I can't use that as an indicator of poor mounting on the rim.

I am absolutely certain there is no rucked-up bit of rim tape or pinched tube between the bead and the rim.

Thanks for the data point and triangulation with your folding Duremes, mickeg; I'll keep looking for some error in mounting....  No liners for me; just rim tape, tube and tire on the rim, which itself is running true.  I checked the Schwalbe website for mounting tips, and they recommend a bead lubricant, which I seem to have functionally duplicated with a bit of liquid dish soap and water.  I did have a bit of this problem with a previous set of rigid 700x32C Marathon Plus tires.  They also mounted right up with no problem and an even bead seating, but showed a bit of a tread wobble as well.

Any further ideas?  Everyone else's Schwalbes running true?

Best,

Dan.

cake

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:27:06 am »
I've got a couple of 1.5" Marathon Pluses on my RT and the one i have fitted to the front wheel has the same misaligned tread problem that you are describing.

It's not really pronounced, but it is certainly there.  I'll tolerate it!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:38 am »
It's not really pronounced, but it is certainly there.  I'll tolerate it!

Thanks, Cake; helps to know mine aren't completely isolated examples.

I'm inclined to tolerate it as well, as it is certainly visible but isn't noticeable in feel so far when actually riding.  It's just that I like things "right" if I can manage it, and I can't see a reason for the misalignment unless it happened in manufacture somehow.  The Schwalbe video showing how the casings and tread are laid on the drum at the factory was intriguing enough for me to watch a number of times ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cx_72EjnA ).  It shows the random checks for runout at the 7:19 mark in the video.

Nederlander Marten Gerritsen (who is among the best-humored shop owners in bicycling) acknowledges this problem with some Schwalbes and endorses the soap-mounting technique and careful redistribution of the tire on the rim ( http://www.m-gineering.nl/techdexg.htm ).  I'm willing to have another go, though there's every indication I have the bead well-and-evenly seated.

Best,

Dan.

davefife

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »
Dan, as you have established, yes this does occur with schwalbes from time to time, its also an issue with some conti's.  Deflation and pulling the low point out and then inflation, repeated a few times also does the trick.  "Tyre round" is something a mechanic should check as a matter of routine even though its not got any real effect on the ride, but if on the front you can watch it occur as you ride along! Bizarre, disconcerting, annoying - depending on your state of mind :D
Dave
www.davesbikeshed.co.uk

triaesthete

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »
The following video shows how the tyres are made. When you see how much is still done by hand and the stages involved I think a little tread wander is inevitable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cx_72EjnA  Schwalbe manufacturing process.

Ian