Author Topic: Current reccommendations for best 9-speed chain?  (Read 12704 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Current reccommendations for best 9-speed chain?
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »
Hi Folks,

I am currently running the Shimano HG-73 9-sp chain that shipped with my Sherpa from Thorn.  It is quiet, shifts nicely, and looks good.  I don't yet know if it is long-lived, but am hopeful.

Some review sites claim it is a poor choice for replacement, citing breakage as a primary reason.

I'd like to purchase a spare chain or two to have on hand as spares.

Among the UK's online retailers that include reviews (Wiggle and Chain Reaction are two), the KMC x9.93 is highly regarded as a long-lived, quiet-running chain at a bargain price, with some preferring it to the Shimano.

I now have the opportunity to buy this chain for only USD$12.99, which seems an awfully low price for a "good" 9-sp chain of sufficient length with a connector included.  It is not the lightweight model with slotted outer links, but one having a mix of dark grey inner links and silver outer plates with an "X" pattern embossed on them. The price is tempting enough to pick up three, but only if they're really okay.

Anyone have experience with these, or favor another "good" chain at a "good" price?

Many thanks,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Current reccommendations for best 9-speed chain?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:01:19 pm »
In the absence of replies, I have taken the plunge and ordered three of the KMX x9.93 chains and a card of (6) KMC 9-sp connector links.  I suppose time will tell if it was a good purchase.  In the meantime, I'll use the Shimano HG73 chain that came with the Sherpa and record my distance-to-stretch ratio on it and report back here.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:37:30 pm »
Dan I've only ever used dura ace 9 speed chains work perfect i was tempted to go for one of the flash kmc gold chains i do like bling on my sherpa  ;D ;D but i think it was around £60 :o

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:22 am »
In the absence of replies, I have taken the plunge and ordered three of the KMX x9.93 chains and a card of (6) KMC 9-sp connector links.  I suppose time will tell if it was a good purchase.  In the meantime, I'll use the Shimano HG73 chain that came with the Sherpa and record my distance-to-stretch ratio on it and report back here.

Best,

Dan.

You haven't gone wrong. I use 8 speed KMC X8.9x chains of the same constructions as your X9.93. My bike manufacturer, who tests everything, actually found them too good, and now save a few bucks by fitting the KMC Z chains. My bike came with X8.99 all-silver fitted, but, on inspection of the chain when replaced at 4506km, I decided the extra for the nickel is a waste of money, as the chain was spotless. Since CRC had a sale on the half-nickel X8.93, I bought three of those, which at my rate of cycling will see me out -- unless the weather improves drastically!

The 4506km is not huge by the standards some people here have set for chain life, but it is near enough twice what I reached before on any chain (including some more expensive than the KMC), so I'm impressed.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:08:25 am »
Jags, Andre,

Thank you both for your input and views.  Jags, I'm interested to know if you have some idea of the life you're getting from the Dura-Ace chain.  Over here, they're terribly expensive compared to their lesser brethren, and I wasn't sure they would be worth the extra cost over their service life.  If they are unusually long-wearing, then the cost would be amortized and they could well be worth the extra expense. 

I was horrified at the reviews I read on a number of 'Merkin websites indicating my Shimano HG73 is so break-prone as to be worthless -- as is the KMC x9.93 and nearly every other 9-speed chain one could name!  It seems there is little middle ground in the reviews.  A few riders claim great durability from their chains and rarely if ever break them.  By frequency, the majority feel 9-speed chains of any stripe are break-prone and it is not a matter of if but when they will part and likely sooner rather than later and at the most inconvenient time in the most remote locale.  Worse yet, few of the customers writing reviews take the time to indicate which model chain they have, so the reviews for a given model may encompass the dredges of a given manufacturer's product line as well as the apogee. 

I decided a little triangulation was in order, so I hied myself over to some UK-based review sites and found the opposite.

I am beginning to wonder if a) Radically different stock is sold with the same designation on two different countries, or b) There is something different about how riders ride in the US vs the UK, or c) There are different ways to join a cut chain and people over here are doing it wrong.  Shimano has some pretty explicit instructions about where to cut a chain, and where to rejoin it using one of their elongated, snap-off pins.  I have a feeling a number of people may be reusing a "spent" mushroomed pin or are using a competitor's connecting link and there may be a slight difference in length that leads to subsequent failure (the research methodologist in me wonders about a lot of other possibilities, including self-selection and sample stratification.  Complainers seem more likely to write and whinge than if they were the satisfied and silent majority; maybe we are more apt to vocalize our complaints more over here).  It is also possible the majority of American reviews are written by mountain-bikers while those in the UK are written by a greater cross-section of riders, including commuters and tourists/trekkers and road-bike cyclists.  That could skew the reviews.

I'm used to chains intended for 5-6 speed friction drivetrains and my previous "new" bike, the 7-speed indexed 1989 Miyata 1000LT.  The world of 9-speed indexed drivetrains as on my Sherpa is a new one for me, and I feel some wonder at what I read of failure rates.  I've never, ever broken a chain, and I approach indexed shifting as I did friction, easing off the load during a shift and avoiding cross-chain combinations.  I spin the pedals at a pretty constant 110-120rpm and shift early to keep torque loads low.  I set up my previous bikes with half-step gearing arranged such that my most frequently used combinations had little if any chainline issues.  I typically discarded my chains at around 3,000 miles (4,800km), and I am still running my large, thick alloy chainrings at 35,000 miles (56,000km) with no complaints.  Things have changed, particularly with regard to chainring size, which has to accelerate wear as a function of surface area.  Same with 11t cogs.  My highest cog is the same size as my derailleur pulley!  Makes me glad the two inner 'rings on my Deore chainset are steel.

Andre, your experience with the KMC is a great help and reassurance to me, and I feel much more comfortable laying-in three of the x9.93s.  I was a little leery of the dot-dash silver-black pattern, but on reflection, realized I've never had a chain rust on me...not even the all-black models.  I'd far rather replace a chain prematurely than to "go long", risking greater wear of the chainrings and cassette cogs.

Along those lines, my reading reveals a number of folks are running two or three chains and swapping them in and out periodically.  I can see this would get one back on the road more quickly, perhaps, but beyond that, does the practice have any real benefit over running a single chain to its wear limits and then exchanging it for a new one on the same 'rings and cogs?  (as I have always done).  The only advantage I can see would be the difference in wear between a given chain and the chainrings/cogs would be less than if one put a new chain on worn cogs.  Maybe the idea is to eke out a bit more life on the 'rings and cogs than would otherwise be the case.  Perhaps this is more critical with 9-speed equipment, where there is considerably less surface-area than in older drivetrains with fewer cogs.

I welcome your thoughts and ideas on this.

Thanks!

Best,

Dan.

Erudin

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:27 am »
The http://www.kmcchain.com/ website lists the HG53 and HG73 chain under its chain checker as they make them for Shimano.

I find the KMC (use X9.73 with a Campag drivetrain and Z series chains on singlespeed and 7/8 speed) chains a lot more corrosion resistant than Shimano HG. An HG53 on my 9 speed Shimano geared Thorn Audax Mk3 winter/audax bike soon became grotty looking after riding wet salted roads, the HG 73 I replaced it with is lasting better (prefer the way the HG chain shifts feel to KMC on this bike for some reason).

Always use a KMC missing link to join the 9 speed chains whether Shimano or KMC, have not had any chains break or wear prematurely, and I'm quite rough/heavy on drivetrains. Use the missing links as it makes chain cleaning/bike maintenance easy. When the chain gets dirty I just shake it in a jar with degreaser, rinse/dry, rejoin and lubricate with Prolink or Finish Line Cross Country Wet.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:53:17 am by Erudin »

davefife

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:16:17 pm »
In my workshop I am probably fitting 3 to 4 chains/week on average, bikes ranging from bmx, to top end road and mtb, back to 18 and 21 speed runabouts -  my default purchasing from my wholesale suppliers are (in order of preference) KMC, SRAM, SUNRACE.  If a customer specifies campag (and the aftermarket options for 11 speed are just filtering onto the marketplace), or Shimano - fair enough.  The use of elongated snap off pins are now receding into retro space in the ever shortening technological timeframes of manufacturers designs and variations on a theme.  Split links are also specific to manufacturers and its best to stick with the same as profiles betwen linkages are very different.  Now I do not buy in 5, 6 or 7 speed chains for derailleur bikes, only 8 speed and up.

Its always best to follow joining instruction, but do not go and buy the £100+ retail campag chain tool for 11 speed, there are other tools that do the peening just as well.

On the 9 speed issue (and all other speeds), if you change your chain just before the 75% of totally worn out value - how you measure is another debate! I use a standard slot type tool with 1 and 0.75 prongs - you should get a ratio of 3 chains to a cassette and 4 chains to chainwheels.  Its really all about cleanliness and chain hygiene though, a topic oft explored.

On my rst I am running a chain made from all the 3 full links sections removed from chains to fit them, its an 8 speed chain and yet to break even with all the rivets that have been driven out and in.
In the scheme of things its best to see chains as consumable.

dave
www.davesbikeshed.co.uk

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:36:24 am »
Erudin, Dave,

Very helpful information and nice triangulation for what I've been doing so far.  I do like the connector links on modern chains -- so much easier from a maintenance and reliability standpoint, and if the KMCs are fairly corrosion-resistant, so much the better.  Alkali sand in parts of America's Great Basin desert region can be pretty corrosive, and it doesn't take much wind to kick it up.  The surface can be quite firm, and then you'll unexpectedly break through and it turns to talc that sifts through everything like flour.  I do believe running fenders with a generous front mudflap helps protect the chain from a great amount of tire-thrown glop no matter the circumstances (see:  http://www.buddyflaps.com/  for some good ones I've used).  I keep my chains immaculate and well-lubricated on day rides and do my best on longer tours, including using a cut-down old toothbrush to whisk off sand and obvious external debris in camp before oiling.  The trouble is, on a given day temperatures can range from 100+F/38+C down to well below freezing, and with it, everything from hot, dry, windy conditions to afternoon thunderstorms, sustained rain, snow, and ice pellets in a given 24 hours, depending on altitude.  And, of course, the drivetrain is out grinding along in it all ( good arguments for an IGH, but I have a derailleur drivetrain).

Dave, as a shop owner, do you favor a particular chain lube for use _on-tour_?  At home, I've used a mixture of oils or sprays to good effect, and Phil Wood Tenacious Oil has its place as well during the wetter seasons here in Oregon, but is a horrible mess in dusty country, and there is always the matter of oil-slinging onto the rims if you overdo it in torrid weather (it is so viscous and "tenacious" as to create little stings of oil that shoot out from the chain wherever it bends shaply around a small cog or derailleur pulley.  On my last Great Basin tour with a mix of blowing sand/dust interspersed with rain that sort of concretized the mix, I used a small bottle of Tri-Flow, but I am not at all sure I would be satisfied with it for too long in day-in/day-out usage.  I brushed the chain with the toothbrush first, then was able to sparingly spot-oil each link and wiped off any excess with a tissue to prevent dust and dirt accumulation.  It looked to soak in, but was awfully thin and had very low viscosity, so I'm not sure it handled the actual lubrication at the rollers and link junctions too well.  Its biggest virtue was it came in a small, leak-tight bottle.  ;)  It is much harder on a long tour to keep a chain happy than it is at home in-between 300-400km day rides.  Perhaps a separate thread devoted to on-tour lubrication would prove helpful.  I've never had much luck getting the things clean while on-tour.  I have on occasion used a car mechanic's solvent tank, but of course that washed away all remaining factory lubrication as well.  Lacking that, the occasional spray with an aerosol lube cleaned off surface dirt but didn't make me really happy.  Sustained tours are just really hard on chains.

In any case, I feel much happier about taking the plunge on buying the three KMC chains.  If they work for a rough/heavy pedaler and can even be assembled from pieces and still not break, I'm set; it appears they are an inexpensive and still viable alternative to the Shimano offerings.  I'll let the Forum know how they work for me as I accumulate some distance on them, following the eventual demise of the original Shimano that came on my Sherpa.

Thanks again!

Best,

Dan.

davefife

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:24 pm »
With climatic extremes as you describe, I would not be precious about a specific oil.  My daily used drip bottle is currently TF2 that is marketed by a UK based company - Weldtite.  Its an easy use oil of medium viscocity that i wipe off the external parts of a component, changers and chain, after 10 minutes, that way its lubing where it needs to be pivots, springs and chain rollers.

You will be fine with KMC - safe cycling.