Author Topic: Which tyres for all-round, world-wide use?  (Read 3690 times)

Sinnerman

Which tyres for all-round, world-wide use?
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:24 am »
I have read all the previous threads regarding tyres, but given that many of them are a few years old, I didn't think anyone would mind my asking...

Which tyre should I get?

I am in SE Asia and have no set plans at all, other than to travel for a long, long time.  This will almost certainly involve countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, before heading towards Australia, perhaps via Papua New Guinea.  Alternatively, I might be tempted to head back through India, towards the Karakoram Highway in Pakistan (my favourite place so far).  So the point being, I need tyres that will be able to cope with anything.  That said, I imagine a lot of my travel will be on tarmac roads (of varying quality), so I'd love to get tyres that allowed me to glide along as best possible, particularly given that I will be riding a Nomad with a fair amount of stuff.

Tyres I was considering were...

2.0" Schwalbe Marathon Supreme
2.0" Schwalbe Marathon Dureme
1.75" Panaracer Pasela Tourguard

However I am open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

jonnystv

• DARE Foundation
Re: Which tyres for all-round, world-wide use?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:39:11 am »
Hi Tom

I'll offer you my quite limited experience with two of the tyres you mentioned.

I'm currently on my way to Kenya on my Nomad MK II, although I'm still in Europe, Slovakia at the moment, so the tyres haven't really been pushed yet.

I used 1.6" Supremes at home in Edinburgh. I found these ideal for whizzing around, unloaded, on the tarmac. Edinburgh has many cobbles which can get quite 'greasy' after rain. A reasonable bit of care is required on the slick tyres in these conditions, possibly more if fully loaded. Certain sections of the Union Canal towpath could also prove a bit of a problem and I'd probably have been struggling in any mud after rain. Again it probably would be more difficult if the bike was fully loaded.

I changed to 2" Duremes before setting off on tour. Given that 95% of the cycle paths I've been riding have been of excellent quality the level of grip of these tyres has not been properly tested. I changed to the wider Duremes to give myself a bit of extra 'suspension' and a bit of extra grip where required. I haven't noticed any difference as far as rolling resistance goes and they've coped admirably with almost all of the surfaces I've crossed. With the exception of the 25km of loose gravel going into Komarno the other day. However, I think many tyres would struggle to find purchase on that kind of surface. I've found the tyres comfortable, smooth-running and have been able to corner safely at relatively high speed. No punctures yet either (touch wood!).

As I'll be hitting some very poor surfaces in Africa I have a pair of 2.25" Marathon XRs being sent to a friend in Budapest. Although they've been discontinued for a couple of years SJSC were selling them shortly before I left. As many long distance tourers have raved about these over the years I thought I should pick up a pair. I understand that they can feel a bit heavy but I'm riding fully loaded anyway and expect I'll get used to the heavier ride as I go along. Peter Gostelow is currently very happily riding on XRs from England to Cape Town on his Big Africa Cycle and has been through some pretty tough roads.

Thorn's Andy Blance highly recommends the Marathon Plus, with the caveat that thicker walled tubes be used with them. Another forum member, an experienced tourer, very happily uses Schwalbe Hurricanes now that XRs are no longer available.

I'm sure there are plenty of much more experienced tourers who can give you more definitive information but I hope this helps rather than adding to your dilemma.

Cheers
Jonathan

julk

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »
Tom.
I am currently riding on 2" Schwalbe Hurricanes having previously used 1.75" Pasela Tourguards and 2" Schwalbe XRs.
The 2" tyre gives a level of comfort which I appreciate with no noticeable increase in rolling resistance - that comes when riding heavier tougher sidewall tyres of which the XR is the ultimate example.

The nicest ride and lightest ones were the Tourguards, but I was also getting a puncture every 160 miles or so from glass fragments.
I went to the other extreme and put XRs on, a noticeably slower ride and not as supple, but coped well with any luggage load and almost any surface except deep mud or sand. I had one puncture in 4000 miles from a fragment of glass which just managed to poke an end into the inner tube, enough to cause a slow. Maybe I would have got further but that bike was stolen.

I now ride 2" folding Hurricanes with lightweight tubes as a best compromise for me, but have a folding 2" XR in reserve for rear wheel duties if needed.
I am riding mostly on tarmac so now view the XRs as overkill for me, but if you are going long distances on bad surfaces then the XRs or equivalent such as Extremes will be a good idea.
Julian.

Sinnerman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
Thanks for the replies. 

I am still in a bit of a dilemma.  Thorn Bikes have run out of Duremes (which would have been my tyre of choice) and are now offering me rigid XRs.  This seems like it will be overkill and unnecessarily heavy. 

I have asked to see if they have any 2" folding Hurricanes and will find out soon.

Does anyone have any further advice?  As previously mentioned, I'll be in SE Asia and then most probably onto Australia.  I imagine we'll be travelling by road and whilst I'm sure there will be some bad road, I doubt it will be awful.

Thanks in advance

Tom

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:34 pm »
Why not buy Duremes from somewhere else?
Or is this a new bike you're getting built by SJSC?

Cambirder

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »
If you can get them elsewhere I am sure Thorn will fit them for you in the new build. They fitted the B&M dynamo lights I supplied for my RST

sloe

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:30:07 pm »
I killed 2 Supremes just here in Scotland. Both on the rear and laden and lowered pressures. One took a lump on the tread, the other took a hernia on the sidewall from being dragged past too many granite rocks. I overtaxed them, charging down tracks and enjoying the squishyness they can give. That's what killed them. No punctures tho. And hardly any wear in the tread. They're just not tough enough for abuse.

I'd like to hold a Dureme in my hand and get a sense of it. You should do that.

Sinnerman

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:22:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies...

Yes I am getting a Nomad built by SJSC, but perhaps I will see if I can get some tyres elsewhere.

I'd love to feel the Duremes before I bought, but unfortunately I'm in Northern Thailand and am having to do everything from here.  Not ideal.

Really appreciate the help though.  I'll speak to them today.

Tom