Author Topic: Pitlock skewers  (Read 3224 times)

neil_p

Pitlock skewers
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »
I've always carried an adjustable spanner in my toolbag as standard... but have realised that I'm only carrying it for the Pitlock "key".  Has anyone found a good solution to carrying the "key" and a 14mm spanner/"rod"? At the moment, I have one key in my tool bag, with a zip tie attached, and another zip tied to my key ring. Ok, but not perfect.

geocycle

Re: Pitlock skewers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:11:06 pm »
The spanner for the thorn EBB fits the pitlock (and pedals).  I like to be able to tighten the ebb if I have a chain issue.  I also have the pitlock on a zip tie!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »
I just stick an allen wrench through the holes in my pitlocks. I think I get plenty of leverage with just an inch or two of allen wrench to get my fingers around. I have pitlocks on my skewers and also my brakes. I'd put a pitlock on my seatpost clamp if I could figure out how to. The seat bolt clamp I do tend to torque down more fiercely. Maybe I put too much grease on my seatpost! But now, finally, it doesn't seem to be slipping anymore! I've heard scary stories of damage from over-torquing. I need to buy a torque wrench!

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »
I think I will just rely on an allen key for day trips... and take the EBB spanner on extended trips. My worst fear is losing the pitlock "key" whilst needing to change a tyre in the middle of nowhere... in the rain!

Mr Jinx

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:37 pm »
I have my pitlock key on a heavy duty key ring about 30mm diameter. I clip it on and off a carabina on my keys. The size of the ring gives enough leverage to do the job well and then I just clip it back on when I'm done.

freddered

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:54:22 pm »
Allen key.

Pitlock key is on a key-ring carabiner attached to my multi-tool.

I don't carry anything for the BB bolts.  It would be useful if they had an Allen key head rather than a bolt/screw head.