Author Topic: Which rims for a Nomad/XTC??  (Read 2877 times)

pberrey

Which rims for a Nomad/XTC??
« on: September 16, 2004, 10:41:48 am »
I think I'm getting nearer to deciding what type of bike I want. I've ruled out the 700c tourers in the Galaxy mold and I'm leaning towards a 26" bike like the XTC or Nomad. I think my needs would suit the XTC better as it will be 90% road biased. However, I would prefer the additional strength and durability of the Nomad and its thicker frame tubes - a few extra grams doesn't bother me.

What I think I will be doing is commuting on poor roads (Chiswick high street is awful!) and forestry tracks at weekends for some gently off roading. I accept that two sets of tyres might be a good investment (1.5 Hi-roads & 1.9 Marathon XRs?) but I'm not sure which rim to go for. Hubs would be XT possibly with a dynamo from hub.

The Sun CR18 seems recommended, but what about the current Mavic range? I've had Mavic SUP MTB rims in the past and they've been faultless. I prefer black/dark coloured rims if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Paul.

hoogie

Re: Which rims for a Nomad/XTC??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:26:50 am »
I have used Mavic D521 rims for my touring wheels and I have bought a set of second hand lightweight wheels for everyday use that use Mavic X221 rims. I have had no problems with either set ...

cheers,
hoogie
new zealand
http://www.hoogie.co.nz/nomad.htm

graham

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 06:22:40 pm »
I am happy with the Mavic 618's on our tandem, used with 1.5" tyres.

I'd don't know if 1.9" tyres would look a bit wide on those rims, though..

We paid extra for the ceramic version, so they are black/ dark grey all over. And they seem to work much better in a downpour than the plain aluminium rims on my cheapie solo, once the pads have wiped the braking surface dry.

kdaworld

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 09:32:08 pm »
I have been touring nearly 10 years much of the time with heavy load,
some times I have to shift the tires while on tour they go in the side. So
if you buy the cycle with touring in mind I would get a cycle where
you can fit tires which are avaible every where in high presure versions and tubes with prestore valve.
I am not sure but something like 700Cx32 may actually be quite difficult
to get in many countries in a normal bicycle shop, because touring cycles is not that commen.

I have used 26 x 1.5  for many years now but I was just in Greece (A country where few people use a bicycle) and it was impossible to get tubes in 26 x 1.5 the nearst I could get was 26 1-3/8 but with out prestor valve which is important to get the correct presure.
However even in a country like Greece you can get tubes and tires in mountain bike sizes in all bike shops, so the best bet for serious touring
is
    26 x 1.9(and up).
thats my opinion (26 x 1.5 also seems to be on its way out here in Denmark a
country with many bicycles).